PDA

View Full Version : BA in Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons

StarshipBoobyPrize
2002-May-23, 12:32 AM
Anyone remember the old Rocky and Bullwinkle animation by Jay Ward? There was a blatant example of Bad Astronomy in one of the toons.

In a lengthy series of cartoons in which Rocky and Bullwinkle visit a place called "Pottsylvania", someone bakes a pie out of what are known as Mooseberries. Unbeknownst to them, mooseberries happen to be an unharnessed source of energy, and the baking process blasts the stove clear to the moon.

Whether a kitchen stove could survive a 250,000 mile journey like that is another discussion. The real bad astronomy follows.

After the stove arrives on the moon, some "Moon Men" somehow launch it back to earth with themselves aboard. But when the aliens wish to return home, Bullwinkle calmly informs them that the supply of mooseberries (which is needed to launch them home) is depleted. Saddened, the aliens lament:

"Awww, I miss my home on the moon. I miss sitting on the porch in the evening and watching the Earth come up."

Why is this bad astronomy? Because on the moon, you cannot just sit and "watch the Earth come up". Since the same side of the moon always faces Earth, the Earth assumes a fixed position in the lunar sky. Wherever those moon men lived, they could either see the earth from their porch all the time or never; there was no way they it watch it actually rise.

Almost. Actually, because the moon wobbles in its orbit (librations), a total of 59% of the lunar surface can be seen from Earth. So there are a few locations on the moon where the Earth can be seen only some of the time. But the moon men would only be able to see the moon rise just above the horizon, and would have to sit on the porch for a LONG time to see it happen.

Silas
2002-May-23, 03:46 AM
Wow! Good one! Two points and a high-five!

Rocky and Bullwinkle had an awful lot of really bad science -- like Upsydaisyium, and the Metal Munching Moon Mice, and large reservoirs with corks at the bottom -- but you're right: that was an "oops!"

Jay Ward also produced "Hoppity Hooper," which I admired. They had one instance of "Good Geology," where a laser went off aimed downwards, releasing an artificial volcano. But they corked it... Which, in fact, would actually work (within a fairly large range of engineering parameters...)

Boing...boing...boinggggg....

Silas

beskeptical
2002-May-23, 07:22 AM
Aren't you guys carrying this BA thing a bit too far? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Silas
2002-May-23, 04:47 PM
Bad Astronomy in Dexter's Laboratory... BA in popular songs... ("Moondust," for instance...) BA in Nursery Rhymes ("...The cow jumped over the moon...")

It's not an obsession! (Yes it is...)

Silas

beskeptical
2002-May-24, 07:37 AM
Oh no, not Dexter's Labortory too!

What about the episodes of Marvin the Martian trying to blow up the Earth? I suppose you're going to complain about him too. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beskeptical on 2002-05-24 03:38 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: beskeptical on 2002-05-24 03:39 ]</font>

Silas
2002-May-24, 03:48 PM
On 2002-05-24 03:37, beskeptical wrote:

What about the episodes of Marvin the Martian trying to blow up the Earth? I suppose you're going to complain about him too.

Well, let's see... Why did he want to blow up the earth? Because it blocked his view of Venus... Hm... I wonder how often an actual Mars/Earth/Venus syzygy occurs...

Bad Astronomy! Bad Martian!

Silas (from planet W, I think)

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jun-05, 01:59 PM
On 2002-05-24 11:48, Silas wrote:
Well, let's see... Why did he want to blow up the earth? Because it blocked his view of Venus... Hm... I wonder how often an actual Mars/Earth/Venus syzygy occurs...

Not only that, I imagine, from Mars, that the view of Earth would be similar to the view of Venus, except Earth could be farther from the Sun. Anybody have a copy of that software that allows views of the solar system from anywhere?

Wally
2002-Jun-05, 06:34 PM
On 2002-06-05 09:59, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

On 2002-05-24 11:48, Silas wrote:

Not only that, I imagine, from Mars, that the view of Earth would be similar to the view of Venus, except Earth could be farther from the Sun. Anybody have a copy of that software that allows views of the solar system from anywhere?

And let's not even begin to discuss that tiny ol' fire cracker he screws into the cannon to do the trick. . . oh wait, guess that coulda just been the primer. My mistake! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Jetmech0417
2002-Dec-15, 09:26 AM
On 2002-06-05 09:59, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

I realize this is a rather old thread, but there's a place online that has exactly what you're talking about. http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/

(Who knows, it may start the thread up again)

Moose
2002-Dec-16, 07:25 PM
On 2002-05-22 20:32, StarshipBoobyPrize wrote:
Whether a kitchen stove could survive a 250,000 mile journey like that is another discussion.

Oh, it's not the distance that's so bad, once you've gotten going, but the sudden stop at the end of the trip can be a little unsettling.

Moose "and Squirrel"

tracer
2002-Dec-17, 09:52 PM
Perhaps the kitchen stove was made of Mithril, or Arenak, or Inoson, or that tri-helical MBS ("plasteel 1000") that K.I.T.T. was made out of on Knight Rider, or the biphase-carbide armor they use in the Steve Jackson game Ogre, or some other variant of Unobtainium.

Kaptain K
2002-Dec-18, 11:36 AM
Or General Products hull material!

Vonstadt
2002-Dec-18, 12:28 PM
Man they built them to last back then didn't they..../phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

However I will not believe in BA in Dexter's Lab.

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

It is Didi's fault

I swear it!!

Sum0
2003-Jan-02, 10:23 PM
Well, about Dexter's Lab BA... One episode had the moon's size at something like 1000km diameter. And some other weird stuff, which I can't remember.

Wiley
2003-Jan-03, 12:18 AM
On 2002-05-24 03:37, beskeptical wrote:

What about the episodes of Marvin the Martian trying to blow up the Earth? I suppose you're going to complain about him too. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

I agree. Is nothing sacred? I'm just glad y'all haven't gotten your hands upon Space Ghost. Oops. Forget I said anything.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif