PDA

View Full Version : How has the BABB affected you?

dvb
2004-Aug-25, 03:05 PM
That is, if you believe it has affected you at all.

I've been evaluating myself since I've started reading and posting on this message board, and being here has helped teach me a number of things.

For starters, I never used to fact check before making a claim. This was a bad habit of mine, and I now realize the importance of it all if I'm to make a solid argument. This is still a work in progress mind you. ;)

Secondly, I have been spell checking my posts lately. Contrary to what I said in the "Do you spellcheck your posts? (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=14218&start=0)" thread, I now understand very well why it's so important. As an example, there was a poster on this board not too long ago with relatively poor spelling. He had problems getting the meaning across in his posts, and had he used proper spelling, people would have taken him more seriously in his arguments. It was this that made me realize that I needed to smarten up. Not that my spelling was ever that bad. :oops:

The BABB has also changed the way I deal with situations in real life. I had often taken many peoples words as fact, and myth as common knowledge. This hasn't affected my ability to put two and two together though. I'm a pretty good judge of character, and generally know when someone is talking out their rectum. :-?

I've been less reluctant towards TV programs before coming to this message board though. There has been a number of programs on the discovery channel that previous to coming here, I would have believed without a doubt. They reaired the Fox Moon Hoax special as well as the Alien Autopsy special on the discovery channel here in Canada. It's interesting when you realize how much the media can influence us. Especially when it's not true! :evil:

One thing that I'm still working on, is when to keep my mouth shut. A friend of mine tells me that I always have to be right, but I don't really see it that way myself. It's not often that I argue a point on something I know nothing about, and am always willing to listen to someone who's more knowledgeable on the subject. It just so happens that when something comes up that I do have knowledge of from researching the subject that I suddenly know everything. I know it's impolite to correct people all the time, and I try to keep it to a minimum, but when I argue something that I have some knowledge of, I'm suddenly always right. :roll:

Well, how about the rest of you? :D

Ut
2004-Aug-25, 03:12 PM
I've become even more skeptical about things seen on TV. Then again, the Daily Show has helped with that, too. And by skeptical, I really mean bitter and disappointed.

Also, Glom has turned my apathy towards Voyager and Enterprise into burning hate toward B&B.

Normandy6644
2004-Aug-25, 03:26 PM
It basically has made me do some more independent study so I can be somewhat knowledgeable when I post. Plus it gives me something to do on the internet now. :lol:

Captain Kidd
2004-Aug-25, 03:33 PM
One thing that I'm still working on, is when to keep my mouth shut. A friend of mine tells me that I always have to be right, but I don't really see it that way myself. It's not often that I argue a point on something I know nothing about, and am always willing to listen to someone who's more knowledgeable on the subject. It just so happens that when something comes up that I do have knowledge of from researching the subject that I suddenly know everything. I know it's impolite to correct people all the time, and I try to keep it to a minimum, but when I argue something that I have some knowledge of, I'm suddenly always right. :roll:Same here. If I don't know that much about something I'll let it slide, but if the topic is something I know about, and they're wrong, I can't help but say something and it's one of the few times I'll actually argue at lenght too. Friends have also learned to be very careful about what they email forward to me too. It's not like I mean to be rude but if they can't take the 5 minutes to google or go to snopes.com it, well... they shouldn't get their feelings hurt when I politely email them back pointing out what's wrong.

ToSeek
2004-Aug-25, 04:33 PM
I spend a ridiculous amount of time here. ;)

Swift
2004-Aug-25, 04:56 PM
ditto
But its the first on-line community I've really gotten involved with and it has been an interesting and rewarding experience.

bearcub
2004-Aug-25, 05:08 PM
For myself, I do much more reading here than posting.

But after reading through the BA website, and discovering that "Bulletin Board" wasn't a listing of upcoming events (this is the first BB I've ever been a part of), I've learned a lot that I previously only had the vaguest ideas about.

This board has also helped me sharpen my critical thinking skills, and I've found myself using them more often in my life. Many thanks to you all!

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Aug-25, 05:23 PM
Well, coming here has made it so that I just can't watch or read certain things. If it's wrong *cough* Armageddon *cough* I find myself feeling the need to leave the room.

dvb
2004-Aug-25, 06:43 PM
For myself, I do much more reading here than posting.

But after reading through the BA website, and discovering that "Bulletin Board" wasn't a listing of upcoming events (this is the first BB I've ever been a part of), I've learned a lot that I previously only had the vaguest ideas about.

This board has also helped me sharpen my critical thinking skills, and I've found myself using them more often in my life. Many thanks to you all!

Do I ever agree with you here! I first found the BA's website by clicking through links about the moon hoax on other websites. After reading everything that interested me on this site(which is a lot), I almost didn't click that "Bulletin Board" link. I had a preconception that this board would be lacking content with very few posters as I've previously observed with many other boards. Boy am I glad I was wrong! :D

I also think that I'm a better critical thinker now because of this place. A great place indeed!

Brady Yoon
2004-Aug-25, 07:09 PM
It has definitely influenced me a lot. Before finding this site, I was always an astronomy and space enthusiast, but I also believed anything that was thrown at me. Crop Circles, the face on Mars, I believed. (I never believed the moon hoax though. :D ) The BA and this site have shown me that being skeptical in science is very important. I have also learned a lot of stuff on this site and met many new people.

Master258
2004-Aug-25, 07:17 PM
same here.
I've also learn a lot more here so my teachers and myself thank you all

gethen
2004-Aug-25, 07:32 PM
I also spend too much time here. Although this is the first bulletin board I posted on, having such a good time here has led me to join a couple of others. I think if my first experience had been at a "Godlike" type board, I'd have sworn off immediately.

Andromeda321
2004-Aug-25, 08:19 PM
I love astronomy and I love to write and talk to people so BABB is seriously an ideal place. I've met a lot of great people and friends I'm honored to be associated with who, as a plus, like rationality (something too few of my peers seem to buy into).
And I won't lie, a touch of anonymity never hurts either. I'm sure I'm more upfront about ideas here, and the fact that I can compose everything out also helps a great deal.

Meteora
2004-Aug-25, 09:02 PM
I found the BABB several years ago, from a link at a National Weather Service website (by the NWS office where I began my current career). The civility of the board members, types of topics covered (not just astronomy), and fairness of the BA were very impressive, and I began to lurk frequently.

At the time, I believe I was still a YEC (Young-Earth Creationist), but was beginning to have major problems dealing with the obvious fallacies that were present in the books I had on the subject. The BABB was one of my main points of reference to learn more about what non-YECs believed (I had a lot of re-learning to do, since I had done the closed-mind thing in college, unfortunately). Now, I am amazed at how much more interesting astronomy, geology, biology, paleo-meteorology, and other major branches of science are, when viewed the way mainstream science views them.

Eventually, I converted to the mainstream views, and have been fascinated with the new things to learn about all the subjects I just listed. So, I would say the BABB played a significant part in a major change in the way I perceive things. =D>

...And I finally joined the BABB as a participant, too! :D

NASA Fan
2004-Aug-27, 01:30 AM
Friends have also learned to be very careful about what they email forward to me too. It's not like I mean to be rude but if they can't take the 5 minutes to google or go to snopes.com it, well... they shouldn't get their feelings hurt when I politely email them back pointing out what's wrong.

Couldn't agree more. It really irks me when I get those "help us find this lost kid" who was either neiver lost, or were found an hour after he or she was lost. It usually takes me less than 5 minutes to discover those things. Now that you say it, I do not think I have gotten any of those lately--maybe people have learned not to send them to me.

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Aug-27, 02:13 AM
I get the, "Geez, lighten up a little. Doesn't matter if it isn't right, it's fun" lecture quite frequently. :-?

ToSeek
2004-Aug-27, 02:17 AM
Friends have also learned to be very careful about what they email forward to me too. It's not like I mean to be rude but if they can't take the 5 minutes to google or go to snopes.com it, well... they shouldn't get their feelings hurt when I politely email them back pointing out what's wrong.

Couldn't agree more. It really irks me when I get those "help us find this lost kid" who was either neiver lost, or were found an hour after he or she was lost. It usually takes me less than 5 minutes to discover those things. Now that you say it, I do not think I have gotten any of those lately--maybe people have learned not to send them to me.

Who remembers the alleged "Good Times" virus? I was about ready to kill the next person who forwarded an email to me about that one.

electromagneticpulse
2004-Aug-27, 01:37 PM
BABB has affected (or is it effected) me greatly, their's lots of cool people and for once i dont feel like the smartest person in a room (or forum :lol: ) or having to bite my tongue because i might confuse everyone in a room with an explination of something i find simple, i must say i have a few friends that understand or try to and also some fellow developing physicists but on hear its simple to ask a question, instead of having to ask my physics teacher who sometimes doesn't have a clue about the question im answering. (so much help there)

I give BABB two thumbs up :D =D>

dvb
2004-Aug-27, 07:36 PM
BABB has affected (or is it effected)...

It's affect. :)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=affected

Usage Note: Affect and effect have no senses in common. As a verb affect is most commonly used in the sense of “to influence” (how smoking affects health). Effect means “to bring about or execute”: layoffs designed to effect savings. Thus the sentence These measures may affect savings could imply that the measures may reduce savings that have already been realized, whereas These measures may effect savings implies that the measures will cause new savings to come about.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-27, 09:27 PM
At the time, I believe I was still a YEC (Young-Earth Creationist), but was beginning to have major problems dealing with the obvious fallacies that were present in the books I had on the subject.

So, I would say the BABB played a significant part in a major change in the way I perceive things. =D>

Wow. Sometimes I question running a bulletin board (admin'ing here is a lot less fun than simply participating, let me assure you) but you have put the wind in my sails anew.

Thanks.

Glom
2004-Aug-27, 10:31 PM
Wow, Meteora. That is so cool.

Sever
2004-Aug-27, 10:45 PM
I became more skeptical(no more UFO TV programs for me). And I found a place where I can discuss sci-fi(without being laughed at).

Normandy6644
2004-Aug-28, 12:13 AM
I became more skeptical(no more UFO TV programs for me). And I found a place where I can discuss sci-fi(without being laughed at).

I wouldn't say I'm any more skeptical, just more analytical. I will question more often the reliability and source of information, but I am not necessarily any more skeptical.

Ut
2004-Aug-28, 01:04 AM
I'm probably more cynical, which I'm afraid most people probably wouldn't think to be a huge positive.

Though the question has been shown to lead one astry many, many times, I've always stood by "Now, does that make sense?" There's enough stuff out there that, unless you really know what's going on, doesn't make sense for this to be a dangerous question, but it usually works for me. The BABB has shown me that there are a frightening number of people who don't ask themselves this question, and the results can be rather funny, or sort of sad. It's also shown me that sometimes you really need to understand the nitty gritty of something before you can understand why you're wrong when you answer that question.

Excelsior
2004-Aug-28, 09:48 AM
As an astronomy fan I love this place. It has broadened my knowledge on the subject and made me more skeptical

Ad Hominid
2004-Aug-29, 04:44 AM
The BABB led me to a minor career in the media.

It started like this:
I first heard of the BABB when a number of prominent websites (CNN especially) linked to it right after the first showing of Fox TV's loathesome moon hoax show.
Like other spaceflight enthusiasts, I was incensed at the show. Reading, and participating in, the BABB in the immediate aftermath gave me some of the information and tools I needed to write to my local Fox affiliate and ask that they allow some local experts to rebutt the show when it re-ran two months later.
It turned out that the station's news director hated the program as much as I did, and he thought my idea was a great alternative to refusing to show the re-run (something the station management had considered).
Along with another local spaceflight proponent, himself a professional photographer, I duly made the appearance during a two minute news segment right after the rerun.
It wasn't much time but, thanks to some ideas I had picked up here, we were able to thorougly trash some of the Fox program's crucial claims, and thereby destroy its credibility.
It had more impact than I had supposed and I soon found myself invited to discuss conspiracy theories and pseudoscience during a call-in talk-show on the same station's affiliated radio station. I soon became a regular, and ended up hosting the show myself.
The original radio show is off the air now, but I still make media appearances every time some related conspiracy or pseudoscience issue comes up.

dvb
2004-Aug-29, 10:04 AM
Wow, excellent! :o =D>

Yet another life that Phil has changed. It just doesn't stop. :)

FP
2004-Aug-30, 10:43 PM
The BABB is affecting me by raising my blood pressure with this log off/posts read thing!

factman
2004-Sep-01, 11:54 PM
I am old! I grew up in my father's study ("study"?) and spent idle hours in local libraries while my peers were shooting baskets in the schoolyard.

I discarded tv when I retired a few years ago, read history (including history of science) and pursued knowledge generally and in the fields of physics particularly. Further finding a great deal of spare time on my hands, I invested in a pc (with a dvd drive: I missed those old WB flicks) and experimented with the I-net but found it loaded with not only mis- but also great amounts of dis-information! Recently, I stumbled on Phil Plait's site while researching a special subject, and have been enormously encouraged by the curiosity and thinking of those whom I can only consider "young" (Someday, you'll know!), and have really enjoyed participating in some of these threads.

Andromeda 321 refers to the element of anonymity: that is an advantage. One may float an (rational) idea and immediately be made aware of its logic (or lack thereof).

Good discussion never hurt anyone (although one's ego may be bruised).