PDA

View Full Version : Freedom ship

Excelsior
2004-Aug-27, 11:49 AM
I think it can be done but is pointless. There is no need to spend billions of dollars constructing an 1 km island when one can live on a real island of bigger size for almost free.

Captain Kidd
2004-Aug-27, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but this island moves.

Madcat
2004-Aug-27, 01:57 PM
It moves but it may also sink.... The big question for me though, is why build what already exists? You could just as easily gut and refit old cruise ships and sell the rooms as condos. No need to build this monstrosity.

Gerrsun
2004-Aug-27, 02:41 PM
One KM--is that Kilometers?

Dave Barry said it best, "As an American, i I start to understand the metric system, then the terrorists have already won!"

:P

Captain Kidd
2004-Aug-27, 03:14 PM
Their argument is probably "why not build it?"

With proper compartmentalization and that size it should be fairly unsinkable (although that phrase does bring up the Titanic claims).

You could almost have it as an independant ecosystem too. Food might be a bit troublesome. And grounding the thing would be disasterous.

As an engineer I'm intrigued, but I can't really give you a good why other than it hasn't been done yet. A refitted crusie ship would be just that, a refitted cruise ship. This thing is designed from the keel up as a [literal] city.

Humphrey
2004-Aug-27, 03:19 PM
Well from wehat i understand is that its a cruise ship plus extra stuff. Like a onboard airport. :-)

It would be an awesome place to visit.

But they will sell it out with retireing millionairs, they know that, so why not build it? ITs got to be a money maker. And at the worse, turn it into a dry docked museum or hotel.

Captain Kidd
2004-Aug-27, 03:20 PM
By the way here's their website (http://www.freedomship.com/).

Gerrsun
2004-Aug-27, 03:31 PM
Quite honestly sounds like yet another attempt at an exclusionary get-away-from-everyone-else utopia.

Not to discourage anyone from trying but the record for those utopians haven't been so good.

:D

publiusr
2005-Mar-03, 07:50 PM
If they are serious, they need to pool their efforts with the space elevator guys. But that may be even worse.

www.liftport.com

kucharek
2005-Mar-03, 09:10 PM
Reminds me of Jules Verne's novel about billionaires living on a floating island...

Nicolas
2005-Mar-03, 09:18 PM
How is that ship going to behave when there's a serious storm?

Captain Kidd
2005-Mar-04, 02:17 AM
Heh, unless it's a biiiig storm, it's going to be along the lines of "storm? What storm?"

Nicolas
2005-Mar-04, 02:25 AM
Heh, unless it's a biiiig storm, it's going to be along the lines of "storm? What storm?"

I don't knwo, if waves knck to that sides, it might be painful for the ship. Also, waves normally are less than a km wide ("wide" being the short horizontal measurement: width, leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeength you get it?"), so high waves rolling under the ship may put very severe stresses to the hull.

That said, I think it's ugly (from what I've seen from it) :).

Captain Kidd
2005-Mar-04, 02:45 AM
Yeah the whole, trough-crest-trough flexing issue. Hmm, I saw a special on it on Discovery awhile back. Can't remember what they said, if anything, about that.

Most ships just vacate the area when a hurricane comes a-calling, I'm not sure what their plans are.

Tuckerfan
2005-Mar-04, 04:35 AM
By the way here's their website (http://www.freedomship.com/).I liked this idea better when the ship was made out of pykrete (http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/7/floatingisland.php).
Pyke's logical conclusion was to build a behemoth: the H.M.S Habbakuk, he called it. Constructed from 40-foot blocks of ice, his Habbakuk would be 2,000 feet long, 300 feet wide, with walls 40 feet thick. Its interior would easily accommodate 200 Spitfires. The largest ship then afloat was the H.M.S Queen Mary, which weighed in at 86,000 tons. The Habbakuk would weigh 2 million tons.

publiusr
2005-Mar-04, 06:01 PM
www.ship-world.com/utbb/Forum2/HTML/000082.html
http://www.ship-world.com/utbb/Forum2/HTML/000062.html

Nicolas
2005-Mar-04, 06:06 PM
Publiusr, can you give your opinion, a snippet, the general contents of the link, or the reason why we should look at the link (whatever of these is relevant) when you post links?

It can be short, just like "here is a forum discussion on the subject, which makes clear that these people think..." or "some nice pictures of the object:" or "I support the opinion of this article:".

This is a general remark. Many people don't open links without any explanation added to the link, because they don't know why they should click it and what to expect. It also saves a lot of reading time if you already said why you referred to things like other threads.

Just for your information.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-04, 06:29 PM
I think the freedom ship is a good Idea, IF they can actually get it done :o My biggest consern is (like most of you) the Hurricanes. And Lets say IF they are anywhere the canary islands in the atlantic at the time that one of the islands falls in, It's not gonna be pretty, belive me! There will be a thousand foot high super wave! How high is it? The ship I mean.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-04, 06:42 PM
I think the freedom ship is a good Idea, IF they can actually get it done :o My biggest consern is (like most of you) the Hurricanes. And Lets say IF they are anywhere the canary islands in the atlantic at the time that one of the islands falls in, It's not gonna be pretty, belive me! There will be a thousand foot high super wave! How high is it? The ship I mean.

I don't think they will alter their design for 1 possible wave :). General big storms do need to be taken into account however.

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-04, 06:52 PM
One thousand foot high wave couldn't be avoided no matter what the **** you did to stop it! #-o

Nicolas
2005-Mar-04, 06:55 PM
please mind the now fully censored language :).

No, there is nothing one could do against waves of this size indeed. And as the occurence of this wave isn't sure, they have no reason at all to take it into consideration on any ship design in my opinion. (and if they did, what would they alter? maybe give it wings to glide back to the water surface after the wave passed by and tossed them into the air? :))

About that wave (please don't hijack) wouldn't it reach 1000 foot only when it reached land, and not in sea?

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-04, 07:08 PM
If you watched the National Geo channel's Special on MEGA TSUNAMI's you would realize that when the whole island slid onto the ocean floor at such a speed the water wouldn't have a time to go backwords, Pushing it straight out at a few hundred MPH Making a 1k foot high MEGA wave, That will hit america at 1K foot high!

Nicolas
2005-Mar-04, 07:10 PM
it was just a question... 8-[

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-04, 07:12 PM
I know! But I have to defend myself, **** **** *** ***** ***! =D>

Nicolas
2005-Mar-04, 07:15 PM
I know! But I have to defend myself, **** **** *** ***** ***! =D>

Why? Nobody was attacking you as far as I know. I just asked whether that hypothetical wave would work like a "standard tsunami", hence not having much height while in sea. If part of the island would fall in ssea, it would give a splash from the start indeed. I don't know whether it would keep its height over the full track however (I haven't looked into it).

Majin Vegeta
2005-Mar-04, 07:21 PM
If you decide to move to the east coast of america anytime soon, Look into it, If not, Wait for the news broadcast! :lol: