PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations for Christmas 2004

Sticks
2004-Aug-30, 08:10 AM
Now we comming into September, I expect the shops will now be full of stuff for Christmas :roll:

So with that in mind what books would you recommend (Apart from Phils book- Is that available in the UK :-? )

Mine would be

Gods in the Sky (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752261649/ref=rm_item) by Professor Allan Chapman (A fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society)

This accompanied the Channel 4 TV program (http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/G/gods_in_sky/index.html)of the same name

I wish they would release a DVD of the series :-?

Sticks
2004-Aug-30, 08:37 AM
(Apart from Phils book- Is that available in the UK :-? )

Yes it is I have discovered

From Amazon in the UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0471409766/ref=rm_item)

I have put mine on order \:D/

I will have to wait until next month to see if I can aford my Recommendation though :(

ToSeek
2004-Aug-30, 02:16 PM
Tell Phil to hurry up with the sequel to Bad Astronomy!!

Donnie B.
2004-Aug-30, 04:15 PM
It's not Astronomy, but I just got Cartographica Extraordinaire and recommend it to anyone interested in maps and mapmaking. It's a collection of rare and unusual maps of North America covering the period from Columbus to the present.

Some of the maps blend multiple techniques, such as traditional hand cartography with satellite imagery. It's a large format (coffee-table sized) and rather expensive, but I don't think you'll regret spending the green.

Spacewriter
2004-Aug-30, 07:14 PM
Yes, Phil's is a good one to get as a gift (or give!).

I, ah, have a book out, too -- see the link below.

also, if your giftees are at all interested in astronomy, Fulvio Melia's "The Black Hole At the Center of Our Galaxy" is a good read.

Spacewriter
2004-Aug-31, 04:58 PM
I'm also reading Bryson's "A short History of Nearly Everything" - which is an admitted layman's view of the history of the cosmos. I'm enjoying immensely.

The Bad Astronomer
2004-Aug-31, 06:17 PM
I have a list of books I recommend (http://www.badastronomy.com/amazon.html). You don't need to buy them through me (I don't for this to be an ad) but it's a pretty good list. It's not complete, but it should get you started, especially if you check the links out and then see what else Amazon suggests.

Sticks
2004-Aug-31, 07:12 PM
I have a list of books I recommend (http://www.badastronomy.com/amazon.html). You don't need to buy them through me (I don't for this to be an ad) but it's a pretty good list. It's not complete, but it should get you started, especially if you check the links out and then see what else Amazon suggests.

This is indeed an honour to be visited by Phil 8)

I assume like Bad Astronomy, these are available from the UK arm of Amazon, so we can down on shipping costs?

Harvestar
2004-Aug-31, 09:29 PM
Some coffee table type books I really like are:

Full Moon by Michael Light - he scanned in the NASA photos from the Apollo missions and created an amazing book. Totally worth the price!

There's also the book by David Malin of his lovely pictures. rho Oph is on the cover. I actually found it at a discount book place for ~$10!!! Amazing price!

For those seeking humor books:

A Briefer History of Time by Eric Schulman, his parody of Genesis is brilliant! ;)

The Complete Far Side - just bought it this past weekend and have been enjoying it ever since. It also contains letters people wrote to him complaining about various cartoons which are very funny. :)

Other books:

Galileo's Daughter - a great, fascinating read

jaki
2004-Sep-02, 02:57 PM
I bought Phil's book in Waterstone's Monument Mall (sticks will know where that is) Wahey Man!! :D

Sticks
2004-Sep-02, 03:45 PM
I bought Phil's book in Waterstone's Monument Mall (sticks will know where that is) Wahey Man!! :D

I do and strictly speaking Waterstones is independant from monument mall, it just happens to be next door across a small side road. It is not attached to it like say the Virgin Mega Store is. [-X

jaki
2004-Sep-06, 12:36 PM
:oops: Of course it is, i should have wrote near to mon.mall. Many apps.

Paul Beardsley
2004-Sep-07, 08:43 AM
If you're looking for books specifically for Christmas, can I plug Doctor Who: A Christmas Treasury? It's an anthology of (lots of) short stories, edited by Paul Cornell. One of the stories is by me, and I managed to cram a teeny bit of astronomy into it.

Sticks
2004-Dec-04, 10:56 PM
Bumping this back up, as we are now in December

The Supreme Canuck
2004-Dec-04, 11:06 PM
How about some recommendations for good, hard sci-fi books? Please?

Spacewriter
2004-Dec-05, 12:27 AM
How about some recommendations for good, hard sci-fi books? Please?

Don't know how "hard" these are, but the Vorkosigan saga series by Lois McMaster Bujold is a good one to buy!

Read them in this order:

Cordelia's Honor
The Warrior's Apprentice
The Vor Game
Cetaganda
Borders of Infinity
Brothers in Arms
Mirror Dance
Memory
Komarr
Civil Campaign
Diplomatic Immunity