PDA

View Full Version : Advertising on the Moon

ToSeek
2004-Aug-30, 05:21 PM
Buy the light of the Moon (http://www.thespacereview.com/article/215/1)

The Moon does not deserve to be an old-fashioned billboard, but should be a full high-definition television! Lasers could be placed on the Moon and powered by solar panels. Cheap solar panels that weigh a few grams per watt could be used to feed 1.3 million lasers (1280 x 1024).

I can't say I like this idea....

John Dlugosz
2004-Aug-30, 09:31 PM
I think it would be way too small to show an image. (holding a quarter ten feet away, next to my computer screen) I can make out maybe 1 word, if the font is good. We're talking the resolution of the little tray icons on your computer; not megapixel high-def TV!

Andromeda321
2004-Aug-30, 10:58 PM
Man, that would really really really stink if it pulled through.
Also, I can't help but remember a few years ago the Russians (I think) were trying to launch a floating advertisement around the Earth or some such. I don't remember the exact details, it was before I was an astro-nut, but I do remember the plan didn't follow through for some reason... someone else help me out here...

Russ
2004-Aug-30, 11:17 PM
Murphy's Law: Some one thought of it, it will happen.

I'm heart sick. :( :cry:

earthman2110
2004-Aug-30, 11:50 PM
Man, that would really really really stink if it pulled through.
Also, I can't help but remember a few years ago the Russians (I think) were trying to launch a floating advertisement around the Earth or some such. I don't remember the exact details, it was before I was an astro-nut, but I do remember the plan didn't follow through for some reason... someone else help me out here...

I remember when the Russians were planning to do that. They planned on using satellites in orbit to create billboards, sort of like airplanes do by the beach. I think the Dark Sky organizations had a field day with that one. Im very glad that it never went through.

daver
2004-Aug-31, 12:44 AM
Murphy's Law: Some one thought of it, it will happen.

I'm heart sick. :( :cry:

A. C. Clarke came up with a similar idea decades ago. A lunar probe was going to explode a device to release a cloud of material that could be seen from the earth; a famous soft drink company paid some money to ensure that the cloud formed a recognizeable logo.

Ut
2004-Aug-31, 01:35 PM
Now, I know I've been home from school for a good four months now, but I'm pretty sure the last laser I used was only visible when it either shined directly at my eye (let's ignore the fact that you're really, really not supposed to look into a laser), or was reflecting off the wall. So, wouldn't this laser-moon television only reach a small percentage of the intended audience? And wouldn't it blind those very consumers?