PDA

View Full Version : What is this on C2 please?

Synchro
2004-Aug-30, 11:22 PM
http://img7.exs.cx/img7/4002/20040830_0806_c2.gif

Synchro
2004-Aug-31, 05:16 PM
Anyone care to guess? I'd really like to know what the sun is up to here.

ToSeek
2004-Aug-31, 05:37 PM
I think it's just a screwed-up image. Nothing unusual going on with the Sun itself.

Bender
2004-Aug-31, 10:57 PM
A mutant CBS "Eye?"

I guess you have to be of a certain age to understand that... :P

Ut
2004-Sep-01, 12:52 AM
A mutant CBS "Eye?"

I guess you have to be of a certain age to understand that... :P

CBS still uses the eye as its logo.

Morrolan
2004-Sep-01, 01:41 AM
the Sun is 'upto' nothing; it has neither will or intelligence... staring at these pictures trying to glean a meaning out of it other than random flares and solar eruptions may ruin your eyes and give you a headache.

Zjm7891
2004-Sep-01, 02:09 AM
CBS found a way to advertise on the sun... isn't it obvious? =p

Eta C
2004-Sep-01, 02:24 AM
No, it's the before picture in a new "Visine gets the red out" ad. :)

Seriously, Synchro, there's about one frame like this from SOHO per day. Go through the MPEG's frame by frame and you'll see how common they are. After each one the sun goes back to normal. I think it's probably caused by the camera getting slightly out of alignment and letting too much light in. There may be other, equally prosaic, explanations.

Bender
2004-Sep-01, 03:02 AM
I guess that shows how long it has been since I watched CBS! :oops:

beskeptical
2004-Sep-01, 05:22 AM
All you have to do is check the images just before and just after to see it is only a tech. problem.

Go to the query page (http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/realtime_query) and look for 20040830 to 20040831.

Also you can check the C3 images and the rest for that matter to see there is no solar activity that is affecting the image.

As to what the tech problems are, the BA addressed some of that in this article. (http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/planetx/soho.html)

Ut
2004-Sep-01, 02:40 PM
You know, this is the second time you've come around wondering what's up with SOHO images, Synchro. Are you just curious as to why some of the images come out a little wonky? Or are you trying to look deeper into them than you have the ability to do with jpegs?

Every time someone comes in and does this, I worry a little bit that they're spending their lives staring at a computer monitor, worried that the government's trying to kill them, and that the aliens are going to blow up the sun. I don't like thinking that there's someone out there so worried about dying an unstopable astronomical death that they refuse to live. Let's face it: If the sun's going to kill us with its solar death rays, we're not going to have enough warning to do anything about it. Worrying about it just makes one unappreciative of the time they actually have to live.

Synchro
2004-Sep-06, 08:21 PM
These things DO NOT happen at least once a day, this happened twice on that particular day. How do you know this is a "tech problem" since nothing gets said about it. Why is there hours of missing data from all SOHO camera's during anomolous sun activity? I never stated that the sun is blowing up or any such thing and it is very presumptious of you to state so. I just wanted to know what was happening in the pic, to which I have received no answer. I am just curious.

Also you can check the C3 images and the rest for that matter to see there is no solar activity that is affecting the image
How is that possible when all the timeframes of the picture taken are different? Who knows what can happen in 1 min let alone 30. The link you provided explains nothing to do with the image I posted.

What kind of flare is this? Looks like a cross.
http://img75.exs.cx/img75/301/20040904_0830_c2.gif
BTW why has SOHO stopped updating since the 5/9/2004 7:31? It was just starting to flare up :cry: [/quote]

Stinger
2004-Sep-06, 10:31 PM
Synchro, we went through a lot of this SOHO questioning before, mainly with the Planet X hokum, so you'll have to excuse some of us feeling your questions fall along the same lines. You also seem to allude to hanky-panky involving SOHO, which is absurd. Why watch their images at all then? There's an easy way to determine if there's anything abnormal re: the Sun and beskeptical already told you. If that's not good enough for you I doubt if there's anything else we could say that would satisfy you as no matter how many "anomalies" were explained, there would always be that next one.

Musashi
2004-Sep-06, 10:32 PM
That doesn't look like a cross either.

Kaptain K
2004-Sep-07, 03:47 PM
Another thing to remember is that SOHO is way past its designed lifespan. It's a miracle that it works at all! :o

Eta C
2004-Sep-07, 04:00 PM
Looks like SOHO's back on (if if was ever off-line). Just checked the site and there's a C3 image for 1142 on 7 Sept. One thing to remember is that since they lost the ability to steer the high data rate antenna, SOHO is periodically out of touch at certain points in its orbit. These are its so-called "telemetry keyholes." No great secret here. Check out the "hotshot" page that describes them.

Also, check out the "spacecraft modes of operation" link (listed in the "What's New" entry for 26 April 04.) It has a good description of the various ways the imagery gets corrupted. Nothing anomalous here.