PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite with signs of life?

sol_g2v
2004-Aug-31, 02:01 AM
Possible fossilized cyanobacteria found in meteorite: Cosmic Log (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3217961/)

Quartermain
2004-Aug-31, 03:11 AM
Hoover is being very cautious and rightly so. He's waiting a for a peer review and other scientific challenges before chanting 'alien life!' and I think his caution adds legitimacy to his science. Does the object appear to be a meteor? Yes. Does the bacteria appear to be a contaminant? No. Does that mean the bacteria is alien? No.

You see they have yet to eliminate Earth as a candidate for the host material. Assuming all of their findings thus far are true, the simplest explaination is that the rock was spat up from Earth, orbited for a few million years, then fall back down again. Still an interesting find, for sure. But not alien life.

Klyce probably isn't helping Hoover by saying things like "I think this is the real deal" so early in the game. [-X

um3k
2004-Aug-31, 03:26 AM
This makes me wonder. Could fossils of early life be found in space rocks blasted off the Earth? I mean really early, the stuff we can't find any of because of Earth's recycling processes?

ngc3314
2004-Aug-31, 04:18 AM
This makes me wonder. Could fossils of early life be found in space rocks blasted off the Earth? I mean really early, the stuff we can't find any of because of Earth's recycling processes?

Bumper sticker quoted on a paleontology email list:

STROMATOLITES: EARTH'S FIRST ASTRONAUTS

beskeptical
2004-Aug-31, 07:41 AM
I can't get the link to work but it appears to be with the MSNBC site, not the link itself. I'll try later.