PDA

View Full Version : SuperEarth made of rock and ice?

toolazytotypemyname
2004-Sep-01, 02:11 AM
I read one of the articles about the new exosolar planet that the Europeans discovered on Yahoo! Toward the end of the article it mentioned that the temperature was probably around 1100 degrees and it was probably made of rock and ice.

How is that possible? 1100 degree ice? Certainly not water ice. What could possibly be frozen at that temperature?

Grand Vizier
2004-Sep-01, 02:21 AM
I read one of the articles about the new exosolar planet that the Europeans discovered on Yahoo!

Curses. All this time we've been building telescopes and deep-space probes and all we had to do was look stuff up on Yahoo? :wink:

OK. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Toward the end of the article it mentioned that the temperature was probably around 1100 degrees and it was probably made of rock and ice.

How is that possible? 1100 degree ice? Certainly not water ice. What could possibly be frozen at that temperature?

You must bear in mind that freezing (or boiling) point is a function of both temperature and pressure. Assuming water ice (which it may not be), you simply have to apply enough pressure and it will stay solid at 1100 (C, F or K? - you don't cite the article) degrees or more.

Same applies to liquid water. It is postulated that Uranus and Neptune may have deep water 'oceans' that are at temperatures of thousands of degrees C.

toolazytotypemyname
2004-Sep-01, 02:29 AM
ok, so I have Bad Grammar!

I actually read the article at work. ssh don't tell anybody. So I don't have the link or I would have put it in. I suspect the degrees were C, since it probably came from Reuters, but I don't remember. Besides in that range it doesn't matter that much. I would have been surprised at ice at any of those 3 temperatures.

Forgot about pressure. Hey I've been out of college for a while and don't deal with that stuff any more. That's why I posted. I knew there would be somebody out there smarter than me. Probably multiple somebodies.