PDA

View Full Version : Electromagnetic Torque

utesfan100
2012-May-02, 03:55 PM
I have been working on a project to express classical special relativity using split-octonions rather than tensors. This post is about a result that appears to fall out of this derivation.

The split-octonion formulation of the Lorentz force law produces a pseudo-force, which would represent a torque. Do electro-magnetic fields produce a torque on moving charges? Suppose we had a rotating spherical charge. Would its axis of rotation change due to being accelerated by a magnetic field?

I would expect the magnetic field caused by the rotation of the charge to interact with the magnetic field to produce a torque. The Thomas Precession expected in circular motion in special relativity seems like it should also come into play. Are these different ways to view the same dynamic?

utesfan100
2012-May-02, 04:19 PM
It might be better to consider the axis of a barbell shape charge, rather than a rotating spherical charge.

quotation
2012-May-10, 02:52 PM
...Do electro-magnetic fields produce a torque on moving charges? Suppose we had a rotating spherical charge. Would its axis of rotation change due to being accelerated by a magnetic field? I would expect the magnetic field caused by the rotation of the charge to interact with the magnetic field to produce a torque...

You might find this interesting: http://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.2073v1.pdf
Magnetic Fields in Astrophysical Jets: From Launch to Termination
Ralph E. Pudritz Martin J. Hardcastle Denise C. Gabuzda

The great utility of magnetic torques is that they can readily tap into the shear energy available in the accretion discs that form as a consequence of gravitational collapse...large scale magnetic fields appear to be nature’s preferred tool in extracting energy and angular momentum and directing them in the formation of ordered, magnetically collimated, outflows.

publiusr
2012-May-14, 10:41 PM
If only there was a way for us to use that somehow.