PDA

View Full Version : Object seen in Mare Serenitatis

TimberWolf
2004-Sep-04, 08:22 PM
Hello,

I'm an amateur astronomer and during an observation of a Half Moon, I saw a white streak in the Mare Serenitatis near the crater Ressel. It is a white line that extends from NE to SW, roughly a little west of 20 degrees E. The lunar map that I have doesn't name this feature, though the crater of course was. Is it a low mountain chain or an isolated ray of ejecta?

Cordially,

TimberWolf

Glom
2004-Sep-04, 10:03 PM
I think it might just be the ray of the Bessel. Or it could be an alien runway, one so advanced, it can be used by fixed wing aircraft despite the lack of atmosphere. :-s

TimberWolf
2004-Sep-04, 10:23 PM
Hello,

The observed streak is to the NW of Ressel and is situated near the middle of the line, so I doubt it is a ray from Ressel. If it's a runway, that's some really advanced technology. :o

Cordially,

TimberWolf

Launch window
2004-Sep-05, 02:27 AM
Was it ToSeek that posted a thread about a week back
Where some guys at NASA or another space group asked for public help from backyard astronomers in reporting strange things like mists, flashes and odd looking sparkles seen on the Moon.
You could maybe check that site out,
don't know where ToSeek's thread went to #-o

aurora
2004-Sep-05, 03:28 AM
In pictures, looks to me like a ray of ejecta. If you are talking about the white streak that goes right through Bessel.

It's in line with the ejecta from Tycho, so even though it's very far from there, my first guess would be ejecta from Tycho.

Launch window
2004-Sep-05, 04:39 AM
Here's the site

http://www.ltpresearch.org/

you can make a report here

CERDIP
2004-Sep-05, 04:54 AM
Timberwolf, I think the feature you are talking about is the streak that just grazes the numeral '6' in Mare Serenitatis in the picture here: LINK (http://www.solar-system.com/Pages/Moon.htm)

Am I right?

TimberWolf
2004-Sep-08, 03:38 AM
Hello,

Yes, CERDIP. The streak that I observed was that feature near the 6. Also, I rechecked my lunar map and Ressel actually lies near the center of the line. Except that it's off-center.

The line to the NE is longer than the line to the SW. So, if the streak is ejecta from Ressel, it might be the result from a low angle hit. Except that there's no observable evidence of any ejecta to the NW or SE.

Cordially,

TimberWolf