PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Eclipse Timelapse Shows the Sunís Chromosphere

Fraser
2012-May-21, 07:00 PM
We’ve added loads of images and videos to our eclipse gallery from last night annular solar eclipse, but this one stands on its own. An amazing timelapse video by Cory Poole was made from 700 photographs taken with a Coronado Solar Max 60 Double Stack telescope. Usually, the chromosphere can’t usually be seen due to [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/95313/amazing-eclipse-timelapse-shows-the-suns-chromosphere/)

kathy faye
2012-May-26, 01:46 AM
No more than two or three weeks ago we were told to look at the moon because it
was at it closest to the earth. I was also taught that summer in the northern
hemisphere was due to the angle of the earth in relation to the sun making the
sun's rays hit the northern hemisphere more directly even though it is farther away
from the sun. So I think the moon is very close and the sun is not at its closest.
Then I wonder why this May 2012 eclipse was annular and not total. I must have
some perception wrong and I'd like to be corrected. Also, the photos posted here were gorgeous. Thanks.

Van Rijn
2012-May-26, 07:55 AM
No more than two or three weeks ago we were told to look at the moon because it
was at it closest to the earth.

It was close at the time of the "supermoon" but not at the time of the eclipse. The Moon orbits the Earth in a bit over 27 days, which means roughly every 14 days it goes from its closest point in its orbit about Earth to its most distant point. Since it was near its closest to Earth when it was opposite the Sun for the supermoon, by the time it got between the Earth and Sun for the eclipse, it was at a distant point in its orbit.

By the way, if you have space/astronomy related questions, you'll probably get more responses in the Q&A section.

kathy faye
2012-May-26, 09:51 PM
Thanks Mr. Cruiser. I'm really a newbie and appreciate the advice.