PDA

View Full Version : Digital Binos?

Pinemarten
2004-Sep-13, 11:58 PM
I didn't know these things existed. I bought a pair on Ebay for the da Vinci launch.
Does anyone have a pair?
Does the camera capture the magnified view?
Did I waste my money?
Is this the right forum?
Is my dog getting enough cheese?

Binos (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50537&item=3839326 227&tc=photo)

Jigsaw
2004-Sep-14, 02:13 AM
If you paid $99 for a Naxos ViewCatcher 2MP 8x32, looks like you got $50-70 knocked off the retail price. FWIW.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/na-viewcatcher-2.html

Russ
2004-Sep-14, 02:49 AM
I didn't know these things existed. I bought a pair on Ebay for the da Vinci launch.
Does anyone have a pair?
Yes. You do.

Yes.

Did I waste my money?This is a highly subjective question, only you can answer. My speculation; No.

Is this the right forum?
Yes, you just didn't provide enough detail on your new bino's.

Is my dog getting enough cheese?
1) In your opinion, Yes.
2) In his/her opinion, NO!

Tom
2004-Sep-14, 02:32 PM

No. From the auction page: "Fixed focus 50 feet to infinity." It's a seperate fixed lens between the regular lenses.

Did I waste my money?

Only you can decide. I haven't bought any yet. I want to have a picture of what I see, not a different field of view from a seperate device.

tracer
2004-Sep-14, 02:47 PM
I take it, then, that "binos" is short for binoculars -- and not, say, binary star systems.

Pinemarten
2004-Sep-15, 03:34 AM
No. From the auction page: "Fixed focus 50 feet to infinity." It's a seperate fixed lens between the regular lenses.

That makes sense.
50' to infinity would be a single lens. But a 50' minimum would make for some kind of magnification; most single lens cameras have a minimum of about 3'.
Now I am curious as to the nature of this beast. Is the image captured by a reflector, after the point of focus, equivalent to what the eye is focused upon?

aurora
2004-Sep-15, 04:14 PM
If they are like the ones I tried, the image captured is similar in extent (magnification and field) to what is viewed through the binos.

It's easy to test when you get them. just take a few pictures out the window.

I had ordered something similar awhile back, but returned it because it did not have as much memory as it was supposed to, and the binos only held about 4 images at a time. I returned them, got a replacement pair, had the same problem, and returned them for a refund.

So check them out when you get them and make sure they work as described in the manual.

Pinemarten
2004-Sep-16, 04:58 AM
What format were you saving in? Jpeg will take less room than bitmap.

aurora
2004-Sep-16, 07:29 PM
What format were you saving in? Jpeg will take less room than bitmap.

The binoculars only had one format (well actually two different resolutions) for storing internally. That is what I was referring to, not where the images were loaded onto a PC hard drive. Once on the PC, I can change them but I have lots of hard disk space on my PC.

The binos were supposed to have 6 meg internal memory plus were supposed to be able to use the plug in SD memory cards.

The two bino units I received only reported 2 meg of internal memory, and could not read from either of two cards (both of which worked in my PDA) so even though they should have been able to store 20 or 30 or more images they could only save 3 or 4.

Blech.

tech support was no help, but I had to contact them in order to get a return authorization number. Stupidly, the first time I asked for a replacement unit, so I had to go through all the steps again in order to get my money back on the second one.

Your mileage may vary.

Pinemarten
2004-Sep-17, 01:48 AM
I definitely find your experiences with these gadgets helpful.
I just realized I will need an SD card and reader as well. I hope they arrive before I depart.
I am thinking of bringing my PC along to download pics/vids.
I may even have a market for other folks who need to 'dump' their devices. I assume the media will 'plug up' all the local services.

aurora
2004-Sep-17, 05:33 PM
I definitely find your experiences with these gadgets helpful.
I just realized I will need an SD card and reader as well. I hope they arrive before I depart.
I am thinking of bringing my PC along to download pics/vids.

The one I had came with a USB plug and cable which attached to the USB port on a PC -- and Windows XP was able to see the binoculars as a new device and Windows Explorer treated the binoculars as if it was a hard drive. the binos came with some software to download and work with images, but in my testing I found that Windows Explorer and then Photoshop worked best for me to move images from the binos and then work with them on the PC.

I would have kept it if it hadn't of had the memory problem, because it was kind of fun to play with and produced fairly nice images. You have to try to hold the binos still when you take a picture of course, but leaning against something to steady myself worked OK.