PDA

View Full Version : BA in Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

Code Red
2002-May-28, 07:40 AM
There was a blatant example of Bad Astronomy in Jimmy Neutron - the part where he along with all the other kids decide to build a fleet of ships to rescue their abducted parents, using fairground rides.

Now, ignoring the fact that the use of ferris wheel or roller coaster technology in space flight is controversial at the very least to most mainstream scientists, none of the vessels had a pressurised environment! All the kids crossed half the galaxy in open cockpits, their fragile flesh exposed to the vacuum of space. How did they breathe?

Not to mention the harmful effects of cosmic rays - none of the vessels seemed to have any adequate radiation shielding beyond limited alpha and beta particle resistance incidental to the metallic shell of the roller coaster cars used.

I had found this film to be very believable up until this point, but this blatant display of scientific inaccuracy totally ruined it for me from this point on...

Conrad
2002-May-28, 08:47 AM
Correct in every detail, sir!

Actually, if you look in the credits you'll see "Bart Sibrel" under Scientific Adviser.

kucharek
2002-May-28, 08:52 AM
Now, ignoring the fact that the use of ferris wheel or roller coaster technology in space flight is controversial at the very least to most mainstream scientists, ...

Well, a little bit of something loosely related to roller coaster technology was added recently to the ISS (http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-110/html/jsc2001e18949.html):
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-110/med/jsc2001e18949.jpg

Code Red
2002-May-29, 07:14 AM
Now THAT would be a ride! Forget Stratosphere in LV...

Renaldo
2002-May-29, 02:36 PM
sometimes it's a good idea to just let things like this go, and enjoy the movie.

remember, it was made mainly for a pre 12 year old audience.

did you get all scientific when you were 10?

Mr. X
2002-May-29, 03:02 PM
You guys don't ride coasters that much, huh?

Just a thought /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Code Red
2002-Jun-05, 11:21 AM

Ah huh...

And how old do you plan to be when you get a grasp on the concept of irony...?

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-13, 09:08 AM
On 2002-06-05 07:21, Code Red wrote:

Ah huh...

For me, those were Both, at about Age Seven!

Renaldo
2002-Jun-18, 06:49 AM
Ah huh...

irony?

would that be like you, receiving a brain at birth, watching a movie intended for a 10 yr old audience then b*tching and moaning when the content (which main purpose was not to satisfy the science buffs) was not 100% on the dot with common physics? common!

unhook your phone line for a bit and go see what life outside your basement is about. Life is full of fantasy. Are you seriously telling me that you never wanted to be a superhero of some sort?

If not: your condition is worse than that which your pitiful reply indicates. If so: stop crapping your little scientific self and leave the movie to the audience it was intended for.

ps: red: these forums were created to submit opinions on certain matters, not to argue on a personal level. if you carefully read my previous submission you will see that i did not get personal at any stage. why then do you feel the need to direct personal insults to me?

Martian Jim
2002-Jun-18, 08:11 AM
FLAME WARS! GREAT FUN!

Kaptain K
2002-Jun-18, 09:29 AM
FLAME WARS! GREAT FUN!
Soon to be followed by LOCKED THREAD!

Renaldo
2002-Jun-18, 10:00 AM
i do apologise to the other readers of this thread for my personal outblast, but i felt that i was justified to do so following the personal attack launched against me by codered

Martian Jim
2002-Jun-18, 10:06 AM
personnal attack? can i shot with my lazer? thats a personnal attack /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Renaldo
2002-Jun-18, 10:49 AM
let me rephrase: i was insulted. english is not my native language so i don't get into all the nitty gritty detail.

Martian Jim
2002-Jun-18, 11:47 AM
another word for you to learn: sarcasm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Martian Jim on 2002-06-18 07:48 ]</font>

Martian Jim
2002-Jun-18, 11:52 AM
oo! im a bad apprentice! yippee! http://www.deaflore.com/board/images/smiles/bouncing.gif

im so happy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Renaldo
2002-Jun-19, 07:58 AM
it's difficult to determine whether someone is sarcastic. no need to get nasty. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif