PDA

View Full Version : object in sky

decarmony
2004-Sep-20, 02:37 AM
there is a star like object I cant identify. Looking at the moon as a clock it is in the 10 oclock position about 5 or 6 moons away.it blinks many different colors.I have a small scope and cant see it well.Anyone know what it is.it is 9:30 pm cdt-mississippi.

BAroxMysox
2004-Sep-20, 04:32 AM
Antares, perhaps?

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Sep-20, 05:07 AM
That seems to be the closest major object according to Stellarium...the moon was at 1000 to Antares at about that time.

Was out at six ayem or so Saturday getting my assignment for the US Air Force Marathon, and I wish I'd have brought at least my binos with me...the sky was unusually clear for around here, and the stars were beautifully steady except for Sirius, which was twinkleblinkiflashing madly whitebluegreenish and back...I thought it was a plane's nav lights way up there, but after a half hour drive from home to the air base, it was still in the same place TBF'ing in the sky like some sort of beacon for an interstellar used car lot...

Some of 'em are steady, some of 'em ain't...

A Thousand Pardons
2004-Sep-20, 09:58 AM
That seems to be the closest major object according to Stellarium...the moon was at 1000 to Antares at about that time.
And, it was about 4 degrees from the moon, which is less than 8 moon widths