PDA

View Full Version : First time you saw Saturn?

crosscountry
2012-Jun-01, 05:28 PM
I recently had the opportunity to take my telescope out to the desert with about 20 other people. For most it was their first time to see Saturn. The awes and gasps were fun to watch - as they always are. It helped with such a large group because everyone got more excited as they waited longer. The comment I get the most is "that's not real" followed by "you put that in there".

My first time to see Saturn was with the same telescope after college graduation in fall 2002. I bought it and began a subscription to Astronomy magazine with the intent of learning about the sky. A purchase of StarryNight proved to be invaluable, and now I have a lot of fun when I take the telescope out.

Do you remember the first time you saw Saturn? recall that feeling?

antoniseb
2012-Jun-01, 05:34 PM
My first time, I was about five years old, but it was without optical help. We were watching it move against a constellation over a few weeks... we were watching Jupiter too.
My first time with a telescope was cool, because aside from the Moon, things on Earth, and crescent Venus, this was the first thing I'd seen that wasn't a point or a fuzz-ball. I was about 9, and it was with a 50mm telescope.

Hornblower
2012-Jun-01, 08:10 PM
My first look was at age 10 with a 3" Edmund reflector at 60x. Naturally I was thrilled. My mother then took a look and said it looked like a doughnut with a golf ball in the middle of it. This was in the summer of 1958, with the rings at near maximum wide open.

glappkaeft
2012-Jun-02, 12:04 AM
That is the reason I dedicate quite a lot of my spare time in showing the night skies to school classes and the general public (Uppsala Old Observatory, Sweden). The Moon, Jupiter and Saturn are usually the best but the wow factor of the showcase objects (M51, M57, M1, M31, M13, Mars, Venus, etc) is the fuel thet keeps me going. Nowadays I usually get my own wow factor elseware but the classics are just that, classics.

R.A.F.
2012-Jun-02, 12:47 AM
Do you remember the first time you saw Saturn?

I remember, must have been 65' or 66'. Saw it through a (I think) 180 power refractor, and I remember realizing that as small as it looked through the eyepiece, that it was a monsterous sized world, and that it was VERY far away...

It gave me a sense of scale knowing that.

DonM435
2012-Jun-02, 02:16 AM
Back in the mid-1970s I had a 2.5-inch refractor scope. First night out with it I trained it on a fairly bright star. Once I got it focused (and I had to keep adjusting a setting to keep it in vierw, I noted that it had an oval shape. But when the seeing cleared now and again, I could discern the planet and the ring for an instant. It was Saturn.

Shaula
2012-Jun-02, 06:28 AM
Embarrassingly I was in my thirties before I used a telescope, and Saturn was one of the first things I looked at. I had done a fair bit of binocular astronomy but light pollution and laziness had always put me off getting a scope. Then I was left alone with a telescope on a tropical island in the middle of the ocean while the owner went to give a talk to the local astronomy club. Of course I had huge trouble finding stuff because of how dark the skies were (constellations were a problem, the sky was so rich). But Saturn was amazing.

Buttercup
2012-Jun-02, 01:14 PM
Years ago. My 4-1/2 inch reflector. Yes, there's THAT "wow" ...

Even despite seeing big, colorful, professional, landbased pro observatory photos of it (prior to Cassini obviously), it was still a thrill to see it FOR REAL in my own eyepiece.

Tiny as it and rings are in my 'scope. :)

Torsten
2012-Jun-02, 06:05 PM
First time was through a poor quality 60 mm zoom terrestrial spotting scope. The view was not very good, but I could make out the rings and I did think to myself "Wow, I'm really looking at Saturn!" I still think it is pretty amazing to be able to see the rings through my own eyepiece, even if that's on a 90 mm Mak.

LookingSkyward
2012-Jun-04, 10:24 AM
Yup - a few years ago, with an itty-bitty 70mm Orion Go-Scope - the WOW got me hooked enough to invest in the 6" dob, get interested in astronomy, and led me to join this board.

Lupetto06
2012-Jun-04, 01:59 PM
I'll always remember my first big "Wow" when I first saw Saturn for the fist time in a 60mm telescope. I was 16 and I waited till 3am for Saturn to come over my balcony. I got so excited I nearly woke up my parents :-).

Kinetic
2012-Jun-04, 05:13 PM
Shortly after I got my telescope I had it out looking at Mars but recalled that Saturn was up too so I picked the first bright object I saw and turned the telescope to it. By luck I got it first time and it literally took my breath away, it was like someone had just stuck it on to the lens. The rings were visible as was Titan, an amazing view.

Gsquare
2012-Jun-07, 03:43 AM
I recently had the opportunity to take my telescope out to the desert with about 20 other people. For most it was their first time to see Saturn. The awes and gasps were fun to watch - as they always are. ?

Thanks for the reminder. I was about 9 years old for my first sighting of Saturn and used a Tasco 60 mm refractor my parents had given me....I was never the same after that.
BTW; what'd ya use to create shock 'n awe in the desert?

G^2

crosscountry
2012-Jun-07, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I was about 9 years old for my first sighting of Saturn and used a Tasco 60 mm refractor my parents had given me....I was never the same after that.
BTW; what'd ya use to create shock 'n awe in the desert?

G^2

I have a 6" Dobsonian reflector. Nothing special, but it is fine for bright objects.

peteshimmon
2012-Jun-12, 06:44 PM
Back in '68 my newly acquired 60 mm was being
trained on all the obvious sights. The starguide
in the newspaper said Saturn was in the east
in the evening and I got it through a bedroom
window. Had my brother and sister look at it,
first time for real, not in a book.

flynjack1
2012-Jun-13, 03:36 AM
I was about 36 years old and I got a 3 1/2 inch reflector for Christmas. Saturn was one of the first objects I trained it on. My first instinct on seeing it was that now I knew all those pictures in books were real. Not that I questioned the existence of Saturn but to see it right where it was supposed to be and with your own telescope the first time is kinda like starting your first fire without a match or lighter.Its one thing to know the theory and quite another to actually confirm it for yourself.