PDA

View Full Version : Dedication for Large Binocular Telescope

ToSeek
2004-Sep-20, 03:55 PM
World's Most Powerful Ground-based Telescope To Be Unveiled (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/09/040920064321.htm)

The Large Binocular Telescope is located on Mount Graham near Safford, Ariz. When fully operational in 2005, it will be the most technologically advanced ground-based telescope in the world. The LBT is unlike any other telescope because its twin 8.4-meter (27.6 ft.) "honeycombed" mirrors will sit on a single mount. The mirrors are much larger and lighter than conventional solid-glass mirrors and will collect more light than any existing telescope.

frogesque
2004-Sep-20, 06:13 PM
Drool! I would give my right hand, well maybe the tip off my left pinkie for an 8.4 inch telescope.

Harvestar
2004-Sep-21, 12:06 AM
Peter was just telling us about this the other day at dinner. :) Apparently the Italian minister of science is coming for the dedication! :)

Normandy6644
2004-Sep-21, 02:12 AM
Peter was just telling us about this the other day at dinner. :) Apparently the Italian minister of science is coming for the dedication! :)

Oh yeah, Peter. We all know him. :wink:

Kaptain K
2004-Sep-22, 05:47 PM

From the linked article:

Peter A. Strittmatter, president of the LBT Corp

Normandy6644
2004-Sep-22, 06:09 PM

From the linked article:

Peter A. Strittmatter, president of the LBT Corp

Yeah I know, but it was so matter of fact. I thought it was funny. :D

Harvestar
2004-Sep-23, 07:35 PM
Glad someone appreciates my humor. ;)

And he's also Department Head here, but I guess that didn't make it into the article.

Andromeda321
2004-Sep-23, 08:16 PM
Awww, my little baby's growing up! I miss visiting (http://groups.msn.com/AstroCamp2004/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=369)it...
[looks around for siriusastronomer so we can both reminisce in our LBT maternal instincts]

Normandy6644
2004-Sep-23, 11:34 PM
Awww, my little baby's growing up! I miss visiting (http://groups.msn.com/AstroCamp2004/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=369)it...
[looks around for siriusastronomer so we can both reminisce in our LBT maternal instincts]

Some of us didn't see it because it was on fire....

SpaceTrekkie
2004-Sep-24, 12:28 AM

was only there once! but man it was soooooooooo awesome! so unbelieveably HUGE! lol.
and so high up!

-ST

ToSeek
2004-Oct-19, 05:38 PM
Large Binocular Telescope Dedicated in Arizona (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/lbt_dedication_041018.html)

A troubled, 20-year journey to create the world's most powerful optical telescope is nearing an end, with astronomers hoping to begin using the instrument to look for heavenly breakthroughs early next year.

Even now, the University of Arizona's $120 million Large Binocular Telescope isn't complete. But officials are planning dedication ceremonies Friday _ a sign the project has survived challenges from environmentalists, American Indians and even wildfire.

George
2004-Oct-20, 03:25 AM
Large Binocular Telescope Dedicated in Arizona...

Only one of the LBT's two 8.4-meter mirrors -- each nearly 28 feet in diameter -- is in place, with its final aluminum coating to be applied over the next two months. Initial test images have been taken already.

Odd. They don't mention whether this is for the right or left eye? :wink:

Harvestar
2004-Oct-20, 09:14 PM
Large Binocular Telescope Dedicated in Arizona...

Only one of the LBT's two 8.4-meter mirrors -- each nearly 28 feet in diameter -- is in place, with its final aluminum coating to be applied over the next two months. Initial test images have been taken already.

Odd. They don't mention whether this is for the right or left eye? :wink:

The left eye. ;) I really ought to get my pictures of the LBT up on my website.

Oh, and according to my advisor, even though there's no aluminum on the mirror, they've been taking test images of Polaris (with a seeing of like 2" - I really hope that gets better ;) ) and that just the shiny glass gives an equivalent surface area of ~72". (That's just about the size of the VATT that I was observing at last week ) :o

HypersonicMan
2005-Mar-01, 12:38 AM
I was just down at Arizona and got a tour of the mirror lab where they're polishing the second mirror for the LBT. That place is impressive! For us yanks it's hard to grasp how big an 8.4 m diameter mirror is until you're there looking at it. What's more impressive is that they're just beginning to work on the first of seven 8.4 m mirrors that will be arranged together to basically make one 25 m mirror!