PDA

View Full Version : Sigh...

Andromeda321
2004-Sep-22, 09:00 PM
Ok, so today we're in calc class and it's mentioned that it's the first day of fall by the calc professor. So one kid says "hey, we should balance an egg on its end today!" Now I can't help myself and blurt out really quickly "the date has nothing to do with it!!!" to the point where the person sitting next to me commented about how adamant I seemed about that comment. :roll:
So anything similar happen to anyone else today?

Ut
2004-Sep-22, 10:46 PM
At the very least, you should have pointed out that they're 6 months late. :D

Andromeda321
2004-Sep-23, 04:40 AM
Yeah, I know, but not like it *really* matters does it? I mean a wrong answer's a wrong answer... just kinda goes to show how much yet how little people can know about a subject I suppose.

Ut
2004-Sep-23, 04:49 AM
Well, I think a clever way of going about it, which is admittedly hard in the middle of a lecture, would be to balance an egg. And then point out that it's the completely opposite date of the one day per year on which you're supposed to be able to balance an egg. The BA lecture follows from there rather readily.

Repeatedly yelling "You're wrong!", while admittedly would land you into a soft spot into my own heart, would probably get you labled something rather different by others.

No, no... I've just got this image of you going completely insane in calc class now, and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Keep up the good work :D

Gmann
2004-Sep-23, 05:20 AM
That very thing occurred to me today (yesterday as I write this) but I heard no references on the radio. It wouldn't have done any good, since my wife as the cellphone, otherwise I would have called in and told them otherwise. I just recieved my very own copy, and can't wait to jump into it. So far good stuff, and I have found a couple of things that I was taught in grade/high School that were wrong. How much other "dis-info" have I been fed over they years :-k . Time will tell, I'll keep ya posted 8)

Normandy6644
2004-Sep-23, 01:21 PM
That very thing occurred to me today (yesterday as I write this)...

Oh my God! You travelled through time!

:wink:

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-22, 07:35 AM
I think there's a thread about time travel you should look into Gmann, not to mention, how many of you guys saw the time machine up for sale on that eBay clone called `Trade Me` recently. Very funny, people were actually bidding for it. The Q & As were great!

Elyk
2006-Mar-13, 03:43 PM
I think there's a thread about time travel you should look into Gmann, not to mention, how many of you guys saw the time machine up for sale on that eBay clone called `Trade Me` recently. Very funny, people were actually bidding for it. The Q & As were great!
lmfao, give me a link man..pm me or something.

Dr Nigel
2006-May-07, 02:35 PM
I never heard of this egg-balancing nonsense until I started reading the Bad Astronomy website. In the UK, there is absolutely nothing special about the equinox at all, apart from the fact that it is the equinox.

The woo-woos tend to go to Stonehenge for dawn on the summer solstice, not the equinoxes (probably because it is often rather wet and miserable in Wiltshire on the equinoxes).

cshores
2008-Sep-02, 01:51 AM
I love the term woo-woos. We have quite a few of them out in the desert southwest of the U.S. The come to hug crystals or something at old indian sites. Most of them seem to come from California

starmon
2008-Sep-03, 11:31 AM
o.k I give up, this conversation has been going on for years (first post 2004).Could someone please explain what exactly the egg is supposed to do and when,(hypotheticaly speeking of course). Please excuse my ignorance as I am new here.

Neverfly
2008-Sep-03, 11:39 AM
o.k I give up, this conversation has been going on for years (first post 2004).Could someone please explain what exactly the egg is supposed to do and when,(hypotheticaly speeking of course). Please excuse my ignorance as I am new here.

Read an older Bad Astronomer's (Phil Plait) debunking here;)
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/egg_spin.html

starmon
2008-Sep-04, 09:48 AM
Thank you, now I get it! Now I'm off to find other interesting stuff.

Tuckerfan
2008-Sep-04, 08:12 PM
I never heard of this egg-balancing nonsense until I started reading the Bad Astronomy website. In the UK, there is absolutely nothing special about the equinox at all, apart from the fact that it is the equinox.

The woo-woos tend to go to Stonehenge for dawn on the summer solstice, not the equinoxes (probably because it is often rather wet and miserable in Wiltshire on the equinoxes).

Wait, so you're telling me that the whole "stiff upper lip" and "carrying on in the face of adversity" is all a myth? Aw, dude, way to shatter my illusions. :(