PDA

View Full Version : Destroying the Sun

Silent Knight
2004-Sep-24, 03:58 AM
When I was in 9th grade my friend and I joked about blowing up the Sun. I can't really remember why, but perhaps to be cool or just the power rush. Anyways, is there anything we currently are capable of that could even effect the Sun?

AGN Fuel
2004-Sep-24, 04:11 AM
When I was in 9th grade my friend and I joked about blowing up the Sun. I can't really remember why, but perhaps to be cool or just the power rush. Anyways, is there anything we currently are capable of that could even effect the Sun?

No.

The size, mass & energy output of the sun dwarf anything that our sorry little species is capable of producing! :wink:

Yruc
2004-Sep-24, 04:28 AM
Aparently AGN Fuel has never heard of trilithium. :lol: http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Trilithium

AGN Fuel
2004-Sep-24, 04:47 AM
Aparently AGN Fuel has never heard of trilithium. :lol: http://www.memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Trilithium

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

Of course! Forgot about trilithium!

Actually, I remember a curry I had in London about 10 years ago.... that probably could have made a dent as well!

Padawan
2004-Sep-24, 07:22 AM
I saw an episode of Stargate where they sent a stargate to a star's surface, when it had reached it, they dialled a stargate that was being pulled into a black hole, which sucked so much gas from the star that it went supernova very fast.

(the original star was yellow and probably wouldnt have gone supernova if left alone)

Hmm....I wonder if a small star could have gone supernova if stripped off much gas :-s

sol_g2v
2004-Sep-24, 07:32 AM
A white dwarf or neutron star aimed at the sun would be like a bullet fired through a watermelon.

Excelsior
2004-Sep-24, 08:11 AM
Right now star busting weapons are far beyond are reach.

TheGalaxyTrio
2004-Sep-24, 10:33 AM
Build projectile, accelerate to 99.9% light speed, crash into sun.

Argos
2004-Sep-24, 01:59 PM
A white dwarf or neutron star aimed at the sun would be like a bullet fired through a watermelon.

A neutron star wouldn´t pass through the Sun without ripping it all over.

Bozola
2004-Sep-24, 02:22 PM

Why is that strangely familiar?

http://tiles.ice.org/tiles/quilt_23/5541.jpg

sol_g2v
2004-Sep-24, 06:28 PM

Right, which is what happens when a bullet meets a watermelon. There's a recent Scientific American article about this topic.

Argos
2004-Sep-24, 07:18 PM

Right, which is what happens when a bullet meets a watermelon.

For a moment I had the impression that a bullet could traverse a watermellon leaving it intact (except for the hole).

Brady Yoon
2004-Sep-25, 03:08 AM
1. Create a mini black hole
2. Launch it at the sun...

Grand Vizier
2004-Sep-25, 03:13 AM
This is a matter of mere engineering. And all this time I thought this was an astronomy forum. :cry:

eburacum45
2004-Sep-25, 04:05 AM
Well; one way to do it is to use the Sun's own energy against itself; encase it in a reflective bubble, made from Mercury and Venus; it would only be a few centimetres thick, but if you polished it up nicely, you could reflect a good proportion of the Sun's heat back upon itself- the star heats up- expands- eventually it rips the silvered bubble open and the surface is ?twice as hot as it was before-
probably wouldn't destroy it, but a fun way to pass a weekend...

Grand Vizier
2004-Sep-25, 04:36 AM
Well; one way to do it is to use the Sun's own energy against itself; encase it in a reflective bubble, made from Mercury and Venus; it would only be a few centimetres thick, but if you polished it up nicely, you could reflect a good proportion of the Sun's heat back upon itself- the star heats up- expands- eventually it rips the silvered bubble open and the surface is ?twice as hot as it was before-
probably wouldn't destroy it, but a fun way to pass a weekend...

Boring. Twice as hot? That's pathetic, you need a way to shed all the outer stellar layers, then you might get to 100,000C or more if you're lucky. Again, an other tedious engineering problem, I'll leave the details to someone else - like maybe nature itself. :wink:

Excelsior
2004-Sep-25, 08:59 AM
Use nova bombs !

ksodbartman
2004-Sep-25, 04:08 PM
Perhaps blowing up the Sun is setting your goals a bit high. You may do better to take a cue from a contemporary supervillain...

"Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the Sun; and I'll do the next best thing: block it out!"
-Charles Montgomery Burns

kanon14
2004-Sep-25, 09:14 PM
i know the hollywood woould blow up the sun by sending a crew deep into the sun's core and throw our mighty neclear weapon at it. then the sun starts to eplode and hopefully our hero could escape in time.

:lol:

AGN Fuel
2004-Sep-25, 11:23 PM
Where is Matsukov? Didn't Ed Wood warn of a device that could explode individual particles of sunlight in 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'? :lol:

What was that called again??

Fortis
2004-Sep-26, 12:41 AM

Why is that strangely familiar?

How about Children of the Lens (the last "proper" book in the Lensmen series by E E "Doc" Smith)?

Spoiler below (highlight the gap to see the white on white text...)

They destroy the evil Eddorians, once and for all, by crashing a superluminal planet into their homeworld as well as (IIRC) their sun. The planets come from a different universe where there is no speed of light limit on velocity. The end result is a supernova.

:)

X-COM
2004-Sep-26, 08:51 AM
And we call nukes "weapons of mass destruction", what are we going to call sund buster weapons then? :wink:

Tom Mazanec
2004-Sep-26, 10:14 AM
Use VanNeumann devices on Pluto to cover the surface in a "civilization". Said civilization than fuses enough hydrogen in the mantle to stop Puto and allow it to fall into the Sun. Impact should release energy of a week's worth of output in one flash. Would not destroy Sun, but would give it a headache. Whether the numbers "add up" is left as an exercise for the student. :-)

TrAI
2004-Sep-26, 05:15 PM
Where is Matsukov? Didn't Ed Wood warn of a device that could explode individual particles of sunlight in 'Plan 9 from Outer Space'? :lol:

What was that called again??

Hmmm... It was "solaranite" I believe, if I remember correctly the weapon made light itself explode, so that if it ever were used it would spread through the entire universe by a chain reaction of exploding light(or something like that).

Kebsis
2004-Sep-26, 09:15 PM
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. First, we blow up the moon. Then the planets. THEN the sun.

So much to blow up, so little time. :(