PDA

View Full Version : Quasars and Black Holes: Facts and Opinions

chiragrav
2012-Jun-09, 02:52 PM
Hey everybody, I just want to get facts and opinions about Blacks Holes and such.
Simple answers and bold conclusions please THX. :D
Anything from big, such as super-stellar masses or quantum mechanics and M-Theory.
Some examples would include:
- What is the stellar mass of the largest black hole?
- Any facts about quasars?
- Questions that can be answered in this thread?
- What does M- theory do in specific in our understanding in Black Holes and gravitational limits?
- How does quantum mechanics play "its game" in a quasar?

Tensor
2012-Jun-09, 03:26 PM
Hey everybody, I just want to get facts and opinions about Blacks Holes and such.
Simple answers and bold conclusions please THX. :D
Anything from big, such as super-stellar masses or quantum mechanics and M-Theory.

Could you narrow that down some? Whole books and large chunks of books have been written about black holes. If you could be a bit more specific, we can be much more helpful and you can move on from there.

noncryptic
2012-Jun-09, 06:25 PM
Simple answers

Sorry, but without questions, none.

chiragrav
2012-Jun-09, 08:08 PM
Sorry, I know the discussion should be specific, but it doesn't matter to me if you or anybody can talk about ANYTHING. So yea i'll see what i can do. THX

chiragrav
2012-Jun-09, 08:13 PM
Please feel free to have any questions...when this thread becomes a little more popular, you'll have them answered.
I can answer some to.
Anything to discuss or answer. THX

Tensor
2012-Jun-09, 10:56 PM
Please feel free to have any questions...when this thread becomes a little more popular, you'll have them answered.
I can answer some to.
Anything to discuss or answer. THX

Most of those who have questions will post those in the Q&A forum. Just to give you and idea of the amount of discussion on black holes, take a look at this page (http://www.bautforum.com/search.php?searchid=367539). It's a list of threads on this site, with "black holes" in the title.

Shaula
2012-Jun-10, 07:32 AM
Largest known: NGC 4889's supermassive one at 21 billion solar masses. For comparison the one in out galaxy is a puny 4 million solar masses.

M-theory at the moment provides no quantitative additions to the understanding of quasars, and only one possible addition to the understanding of black holes. It might do much more if it fixes the unification of gravity and the other forces but as of yet there are too many unknowns. A prediction Brane theory made about the entropy of a black hole agrees with the results from a thermodynamic analysis of them, which may be significant.

Quasars are just one breed of Active Galactic Nuclei, there is a pretty well accepted model that unifies most of them depending on viewing angle (see the AGN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_galactic_nucleus) page here)

If you are asking how QM works in extreme gravitational situations like a black hole? No one knows. That is a very important missing port of physics. Outside the black hole it works just like it does everywhere else.