PDA

View Full Version : Where to publish a simple "how-to" article?

StupendousMan
2012-Jun-11, 07:20 PM
Recently, a high-school student contacted me to discuss a science project she was doing: she was trying to compute the size of the habitable zone around a star of any given mass. She did all the calculations nicely, and had written up a paper describing her work, step-by-step. I provided just a few minor suggestions, and she produced a revised version. Very nice.

Because this question is interesting to so many people, and because her step-by-step description of the calculation covers the process at a simple (but correct) level, I was thinking that it might be nice to make this paper available in some way. I don't think it covers any new ground, but it provides an example of this kind of calculation which is likely to be more intelligible than the average astro-ph paper.

Can anyone suggest how she might publish her work so that others might see it? Are there newsletters aimed at high schools and amateur astronomy groups which might be interested? Good websites or blogs with an educational mission? The paper is about 12 pages long, no pretty pictures, quite a few equations. It has the feel of an old 1960s "Sky and Telescope" article, for those who remember the good old days ...

Any suggestions are welcome.

Swift
2012-Jun-11, 09:36 PM
In chemistry, the Journal of Chemical Education used to publish papers like that, on chemical topics, from high school and college students. I don't know if there is an equivalent for astronomy.

Maybe Fraser would have some suggestions (I'd suggest contacting him through UT, since I don't think he regularly reads BAUT any longer).

Hornblower
2012-Jun-12, 02:59 PM
Let's continue giving this girl plenty of encouragement. It appears that she understands the mass-luminosity relationship for stars, along with the criteria we commonly use for the habitable zone around a star. She can set a great example for her fellow students.