PDA

View Full Version : Undead Zombies Could be Real - Stem cells survive up to 17 days after death

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-15, 03:46 AM
In a recent study (http://news.yahoo.com/stem-cells-harvested-long-death-study-193127288.html)

Some stem cells can lay dormant for more than two weeks in a dead person and then be revived to divide into new, functioning cells, scientists in France said Tuesday.

The research, published in the journal Nature Communications, unlocks further knowledge about the versatility of these cells, touted as a future source to replenish damaged tissue.

"Remarkably, skeletal muscle stem cells can survive for 17 days in humans and 16 days in mice, post mortem well beyond the 1-2 days currently thought," they said in a statement.

The stem cells retained their ability to differentiate into perfectly functioning muscle cells, they found.

Imagine if a virus or bacterium or nanite were engineered that kicked these cells back into action to re-animate whole organisms.
*shudders*

Jens
2012-Jun-15, 04:15 AM
Imagine if a virus or bacterium or nanite were engineered that kicked these cells back into action to re-animate whole organisms.
*shudders*

I can't imagine how they could "re-animate" organisms who have experienced massive cell death. I think that after death, the cells are experiencing massive death because of hypoxia, so it would be more like creating the cells of a new organism, so essentially cloning.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-16, 08:48 AM
I can't imagine how they could "re-animate" organisms who have experienced massive cell death. I think that after death, the cells are experiencing massive death because of hypoxia, so it would be more like creating the cells of a new organism, so essentially cloning.How did you expect reanimation to work in zombies?

Jens
2012-Jun-17, 12:35 PM
How did you expect reanimation to work in zombies?

I didn't. You said "imagine if a virus or bacterium or nanite were engineered that kicked these cells back into action to re-animate whole organisms." I was just saying I didn't understand what you meant by reanimate. I can't see how such a thing could be possible.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-17, 05:52 PM
I didn't. You said "imagine if a virus or bacterium or nanite were engineered that kicked these cells back into action to re-animate whole organisms." I was just saying I didn't understand what you meant by reanimate. I can't see how such a thing could be possible.Actually, you're right. I should have posted this in Babbling. It's meant to be ironic.

Jim
2012-Jun-17, 06:29 PM
Actually, I think you have the premise for a pretty good movie.

Well-meaning doctor, looking to find a new and uncontroversial source of stem cells finds that he can reanimate entire bodies. Of course, hypoxia has made their brains useless, but their instincts are still strong if... different.

(And I'm moving it to OTB.)

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-17, 07:03 PM
Actually, I think you have the premise for a pretty good movie.

Well-meaning doctor, looking to find a new and uncontroversial source of stem cells finds that he can reanimate entire bodies. Of course, hypoxia has made their brains useless, but their instincts are still strong if... different.

(And I'm moving it to OTB.)

I had a similar idea months ago, about hackers, a computer virus, and either atomic-scale rapid prototyping machines or genetics lab... and zombies. This just fits in so well. One of these days I'll have to start writing all these stories I've got in my head.

Chunky
2012-Jun-17, 10:01 PM
i wonder if the function of this post mortem stem cell recovery will evolve. we evolve, maybe, also, the regenerative effects of this "resurrection " of cells will evolve also, into a better purpose.

maybe a russurection after repair? maybe if we feed the dead people more stem cells in the area that the domant cells lye. they will..... nvm..

any ideas? specifically on the former.

Chunky
2012-Jun-17, 11:04 PM
maybe death will be redefined. Such as a chance to become conscious again if the damage isn't too sustaining...

Jens
2012-Jun-18, 12:04 AM
Actually, you're right. I should have posted this in Babbling. It's meant to be ironic.

Sorry about that. I thought you were being serious. I guess I've gotten too dependent on emoticons. . .

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-18, 07:43 AM
Sorry about that. I thought you were being serious. I guess I've gotten too dependent on emoticons. . .no problem. :) :D ;)

DoggerDan
2012-Jun-22, 01:22 AM
How did you expect reanimation to work in zombies?

Well, first you build a highly conductive structure atop a 17th-century mansion. Next you dredge up a crazy doctor prone to yelling "It's Alive!" every time an ant that he's stepped on is still wiggling...

Oops! Mary Shelley didn't write about zombies.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jun-22, 08:31 AM
maybe death will be redefined. Such as a chance to become conscious again if the damage isn't too sustaining...
That has already happened where death has been redefined to mean brain death rather than e.g. heart stopped beating.