PDA

View Full Version : Face on Mars Poll

Espritch
2002-Jun-03, 12:32 AM
I logged onto AOL and there was one of those instant polls they are always putting up. Although I generally ignore these, I found this one intriguing. It was about the "face" on Mars. Out of curiosity, I filled it out and looked at the results.

30.5% of respondents indicated that they thought the "face" was evidence of a past civilization. And 40.1% indicated they thought NASA is convering up evidence of Martian civilization. There were 187966 responses. Of course the poll isn't exactly scientific, but it's still sad.

I guess this is another subtle reminder that nearly 50% of the populace has below average intelligence.

Jigsaw
2002-Jun-03, 02:30 AM
No, it's another subtle reminder that nearly 50% of AOL subscribers have below average intelligence. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[the statistical sampling was of "AOL subscribers who enjoy responding to polls", so right off the bat it was a statistically skewed sampling, so it doesn't really mean anything]

Martian Jim
2002-Jun-03, 07:00 AM
Can they not leave my home alone?

beskeptical
2002-Jun-03, 07:40 AM
On 2002-06-02 20:32, Espritch wrote:
I guess this is another subtle reminder that nearly 50% of the populace has below average intelligence.

I think I could present evidence that the number is much higher than that. Just look at the trillion dollar business selling absolutely worthless products to cure your ills and improve your health. I bet some of you use them now.

After the Rover, when the next ship to Mars crashed before it could re-photograph the face, well, my suspicions certainly grew. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I have an old Skeptical Inquirer mag that has an ultra sound picture of a cervix (sorry but that's what it is) that looks to be clearly the face of a woman.

We went to New Mexico for the Leonids in 2000. There was supposed to be the face of Jesus on a tortilla in some little town we were passing through. It said so in their Chamber of Commerce guide book. But, we couldn't find it and no one there knew anything about it.

I really don't get it though. I think the government is terribly incompetent as a whole. I don't see how so many people could believe there are these evil geniuses out there with all those secret plans to rule the world. There are penty of bad guys but they seem to get caught for the stupidest mistakes.

Espritch
2002-Jun-04, 03:30 AM
We went to New Mexico for the Leonids in 2000. There was supposed to be the face of Jesus on a tortilla in some little town we were passing through. It said so in their Chamber of Commerce guide book. But, we couldn't find it and no one there knew anything about it.

Well, what happened was, me and the boys was celebrating the miracle of our Lord Jesus appearing in a tortilla when Bob shows up with a case of bud, and well pretty soon we start getting the munchies and there ain't nothin' in the fridge but some beer and onion dip. So Randy says, "Say! ain't a tortilla kind of like a totilla chip?" And...well things just kind of went down hill from there...but we really don't like to talk about it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

beskeptical
2002-Jun-05, 08:05 AM
On 2002-06-03 23:30, Espritch wrote:

Well, what happened was, me and the boys was celebrating the miracle of our Lord Jesus appearing in a tortilla when Bob shows up with a case of bud, and well pretty soon we start getting the munchies and there ain't nothin' in the fridge but some beer and onion dip. So Randy says, "Say! ain't a tortilla kind of like a totilla chip?" And...well things just kind of went down hill from there...but we really don't like to talk about it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

jec96
2002-Jun-05, 10:03 PM
So was the tortilla stale, or does it prove again yet my theory that bud covers all bad things?

Firefox
2002-Jun-05, 10:28 PM
On 2002-06-02 22:30, Jigsaw wrote:
No, it's another subtle reminder that nearly 50% of AOL subscribers have below average intelligence. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

[the statistical sampling was of "AOL subscribers who enjoy responding to polls", so right off the bat it was a statistically skewed sampling, so it doesn't really mean anything]

God, don't remind me of that. I am quite content to be rid of that plague from my computer. I would wholeheartedly agree that AOL has a lot to do with the results of that poll.

Adam

p9107
2002-Jun-08, 11:11 AM
To tell you the truth, I think that a lot of people put joke answers in.

I also find it hard to belive that 187966 people voted. Maybe it had been fixed by AOL to raise public suspicion. Maybe there is a conspiracy with AOL and the govenment...!

(I really should write stories!)

beskeptical
2002-Jun-08, 07:55 PM
Try Jay Leno's Jaywalking. At the UC Davis grad ceremony, several graduating people he interviewed did not know how many planets there were, including one woman who said she had gotten a 'A' in her astronomy class.

The list goes on and on and on.....

p9107
2002-Jun-09, 02:36 PM
Okay... so how many planets are there, then?

And I want the answer to 12 significant figures

beskeptical
2002-Jun-09, 10:30 PM
On 2002-06-09 10:36, p9107 wrote:

And I want the answer to 12 significant figures

Apparently, if you ask the man(or woman) on the street we have somewhere between 2 and 27. The astronomy(elective I presume) student said 27 if my memory is correct but it more than likely isn't.

And, the Sun is closer to the Earth than the Moon. The USA is bordered by China. You can drive to Cuba and it is 2,000 miles away. Those are real answers, they impressed themselves deeply in my memory in this case.

I just love Jaywalking. They also have the Jaywalking Allstars on occasion. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

ljbrs
2002-Jun-10, 12:36 AM
Try Jay Leno's Jaywalking. At the UC Davis grad ceremony, several graduating people he interviewed did not know how many planets there were, including one woman who said she had gotten a 'A' in her astronomy class.

I think that the number of planets is in limbo right now. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has put Pluto in a dual category (1) as a Planet and (2) as a Transneptunian Object (TNO). If Pluto permanently becomes solely a TNO, then the number of major Solar planets will go down from nine to eight. So, right now, the number of major Solar planets is in limbo. Poor Clyde Tombaugh, Pluto's discoverer. He must be rotating violently in his grave.

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

p9107
2002-Jun-10, 11:39 AM
Oh... when i asked how many planets there are, I meant in the whole universe.

I didn't realise that we were talking solely about the solar system. Everyony knows that there 12 1/2 planets.

beskeptical
2002-Jun-10, 07:49 PM
You notice I avoided giving a direct answer to the, "so how many planet's are there?", question. (The question was 'in our solar system' not in the Galaxy or Universe. I would think it doubtful these guys knew what a galaxy was.)

Lisa
2002-Jun-12, 06:38 AM
On 2002-06-08 15:55, beskeptical wrote:

The list goes on and on and on.....

We were talking about that the other night on PalTalk. Is this the same woman who was asked how many moons the Earth has, and she answered "3"?
I'd love to have a little chat with her astronomy professor....Several other people on the board suggested introducing her diploma to a shredder
Lisa

p9107
2002-Jun-12, 07:23 AM
So how does someone who has just graduated in astronomy not know how many planets in the solar system / moons around the earth, when I knew this from when I was about six?

Lisa
2002-Jun-12, 08:22 PM
From what I understood, the woman didn't have a degree in astronomy, she just claimed to have taken an astronomy course.
Still, doesn't it strike you as odd that someone clutching a diploma would miss a question like this?
Lisa

Argos
2002-Jun-12, 08:47 PM
The population grows at a rate of an idiot per second.

Jovianboy
2002-Jun-13, 03:14 AM
On 2002-06-12 02:38, Lisa wrote:

Is this the same woman who was asked how many moons the Earth has, and she answered "3"?

That woman was obviously as fruity as a nutcake. Three moons!

Well, maybe not three. How about two? Luna and Cruithne. Seriously. Well, maybe not seriously - I don't know what to make of this Cruithne business. An asteroid that doesn't know whether it's coming or going, or our second moon?

Your thoughts?

http://iranscope.ghandchi.com/Anthology/Space/Cruithne.htm

Cheers,

JB

(edit to fix grammar)

- Loren Eisely, "The Immense Journey" 1956

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jovianboy on 2002-06-12 23:16 ]</font>

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-13, 04:04 AM

In our Solar System, I would say Seven, because Pluto is too Small, and Jupiter is too Big.

As for Planets outside the Solar System; well, by the same Criteria, all but one or two, of the 30-odd Extra-Solar Objects, that have been discovered, actually Qualify as Planets, the Rest, are Probably Brown Dwarves, like Jupiter.

beskeptical
2002-Jun-13, 09:34 AM
On 2002-06-12 16:22, Lisa wrote:
From what I understood, the woman didn't have a degree in astronomy, she just claimed to have taken an astronomy course.

Yes, I tried to be careful and say it was an elective. But she said she had gotten an A in the class!!

Someone did say we had two moons, it was a guy. I'm sure he wasn't talking about asteroids.

Still, doesn't it strike you as odd that someone clutching a diploma would miss a question like this?
Lisa

Worse yet, one person was an elementary school teacher (different night). I can't remember which question she got wrong but it was either that we fought the French in the civil war, or that the US's war of independence was fought in 1940, or something close to that bad.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-13, 10:04 AM
On 2002-06-13 05:34, beskeptical wrote:
Worse yet, one person was an elementary school teacher (different night). I can't remember which question she got wrong but it was either that we fought the French in the civil war, or that the US's war of independence was fought in 1940, or something close to that bad.

You know, if she'd said the British, instead, she wouldn't have been Half Wrong.

In fact, if we, the US, hadn't Announced to The World, that The War was about Slavery, with the Emancipation Proclaimation, we probably wouldn't have been able to keep them, or even France, our Once and Future Ally, out of The War; furthermore, it was only our Huge, Post-War Millitary, and a Threat of using it against Canada, that Got us, the Reparations, that We did Get!

David Hall
2002-Jun-13, 03:54 PM
On 2002-06-13 00:04, ZaphodBeeblebrox wrote:

In our Solar System, I would say Seven, because Pluto is too Small, and Jupiter is too Big.

No, I've gotta disagree here. Jupiter is not too big. It is the biggest body in the solar system outside of the Sun itself, but even then it's absolutely tiny compared to it. While some people like to call it a failed star, it's really only about one-tenth the mass needed to become even the tiniest of stars. It isn't even close to being a brown dwarf. So it's most definitely just a planet.

Pluto, on the other hand, is much more debatable. For years it's been called a planet, but now that we've started discovering a hoarde of similar objects out there, it's status is under fire. It shares a remarkable similarity to these new Kuiper Belt objects, and the only major difference seen so far is that It's about twice the size of the largest KBO.

If any KBO's are found to rival Pluto's size, it might become time to demote it. But for now, it's still safely referred to as a planet.

So, for the time being at least, there are clearly nine planets. It might drop by one, or it might rise by one or two if more are found in the outer reaches, but barring a (literally) world-shattering event, there will never be less than eight.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-13, 04:30 PM
On 2002-06-13 11:54, David Hall wrote:
No, I've gotta disagree here. Jupiter is not too big. It is the biggest body in the solar system outside of the Sun itself, but even then it's absolutely tiny compared to it. While some people like to call it a failed star, it's really only about one-tenth the mass needed to become even the tiniest of stars. It isn't even close to being a brown dwarf. So it's most definitely just a planet.

Then why is it Still generating Heat, via Collapsing?

I thought that that, was the Basic Definition, for a Brown Dwarf.

Kaptain K
2002-Jun-14, 05:44 AM
Then why is it Still generating Heat, via Collapsing?
I thought that that, was the Basic Definition, for a Brown Dwarf.
Nope! A brown dwarf is an object that is large enough to have sustained deuterium fusion at one point in its existence, even if it no longer does so. Jupiter is short of this criterion by a factor of ten or more.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-14, 06:01 AM
On 2002-06-14 01:44, Kaptain K wrote:
Nope! A brown dwarf is an object that is large enough to have sustained deuterium fusion at one point in its existence, even if it no longer does so. Jupiter is short of this criterion by a factor of ten or more.

However, that Number, is still up to Some Debate, Correct?

And, even if Jupiter, is on the Planet Side, of The Divide, how do we classify, Some of these Huge, Extrasolar Objects?

ljbrs
2002-Jun-15, 01:37 PM

Average intelligence is registered [on IQ tests] at 50 percentile. Anything below that definitely would rank below average intelligence .

ljbrs /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Donnie B.
2002-Jun-15, 11:51 PM
Actually, average IQ is 100, not 50. The latter would be a very seriously impaired individual.

What's more, the number is a comparison to your age group -- so a 10-year-old kid with an IQ of 100 is not expected to have the intelligence of an average adult, just that of an average 10-year-old kid.

But in any case, it's pretty foolish to measure someting as slippery as intelligence on a single scale. There are just too many aspects to what we call "intelligence" to be quantified with a single value. See Gould's "The Mismeasure of Man" for details... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

beskeptical
2002-Jun-16, 07:34 AM
Percentile Donnie, not IQ which is an arbitrary number scale assigned to a specific test.

I thought ljbrs had a very good point.

Unfortunately, it correlates with my fear that the average intelligence of the human race is not so good.

pvtpylot
2002-Jun-16, 07:51 AM
On 2002-06-15 09:37, ljbrs wrote:

Average intelligence is registered [on IQ tests] at 50 percentile. Anything below that definitely would rank below average intelligence .

But, shouldn't we expect 50% of the population to be below average intelligence, the other 50% to be above average intelligence, and wouldn't that be how the average gets calculated in the first place?
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2002-Jun-16, 08:45 AM
On 2002-06-16 03:51, pvtpylot wrote:

On 2002-06-15 09:37, ljbrs wrote:

But, shouldn't we expect 50% of the population to be below average intelligence, the other 50% to be above average intelligence, and wouldn't that be how the average gets calculated in the first place?
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Yeah, but does the Bottom 25% (more likely a Full 1/3, These Days) Have to be So Stupid?

As Christopher Gallagher, used to say, "10% Unemployment doesn't Bother me. What Bothers me, is the 15% of The [Total People, who are] Stupid People, who Have Jobs!" [Fixed Bad Math, oh well, Gallagher is Probably just Average, himself.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ZaphodBeeblebrox on 2002-06-16 04:51 ]</font>

Phobos
2002-Jun-17, 02:41 PM
I hear average IQ ratings are creeping up. It used to be about 100 but seems higher these days.

Come to think of it I do know of 2 famous individuals with IQ's in the 90's, and I believe you may have heard of them.

This is the first guy,
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/steve_bell/2000/11/10/belltoon512.gif

On G.W. Bush's IQ (or Lack Thereof) (http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bliq-bush.htm)

The study determined the following IQs of each president as accurate to within five percentage points:

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
132 Harry Truman (D)
122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
121 Gerald Ford (R)
175 James E. Carter (D)
105 Ronald Reagan (R)
098 George HW Bush (R)
182 William J. Clinton (D)
091 George W. Bush (R)

The other is his father (in comparision with all former presidents of the USA guess which 2 came bottom of the IQ list).

Nice to know whos finger is on the nuke button isn't it!

Phobos

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phobos on 2002-06-17 10:49 ]</font>

David Hall
2002-Jun-17, 03:19 PM
Phobos, I hope you realize that that is just an urban legend and that it's completely false. Considering that the link you provided says as much I'm assuming you do, but I want to make sure it's absolutely clear.

The Snopes.com page has a bit more detail on it.

http://198.64.129.160/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.htm

Phobos
2002-Jun-17, 03:37 PM
On 2002-06-17 11:19, David Hall wrote:
Phobos, I hope you realize that that is just an urban legend and that it's completely false. Considering that the link you provided says as much I'm assuming you do, but I want to make sure it's absolutely clear.

The Snopes.com page has a bit more detail on it.

http://198.64.129.160/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.htm

OK hands up I confess to a little mischief making - but I did make sure the clues were there to be found. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

Phobos

David Hall
2002-Jun-17, 03:48 PM
Thought so, but one just can never be too sure these days. You never know who's going to believe what. It's especially hard to tell in a text only format. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

p9107
2002-Jun-17, 04:22 PM
quote/

hear average IQ ratings are creeping up. It used to be about 100 but seems higher these days.

quote/

What is a good IQ nowadays? I think mine is 118.

p9107
2002-Jun-17, 04:22 PM
quote/

hear average IQ ratings are creeping up. It used to be about 100 but seems higher these days.

quote/

nebularain
2002-Jun-17, 09:32 PM
Has anyone ever heard this expression?

"Nothing is idiot-proof because idiots are too ingenious."

Phobos
2002-Jun-17, 10:03 PM
On 2002-06-17 12:22, p9107 wrote:

quote/

quote/

Mine is registered with Mensa at 155, but at the end of the day that just means I am good at IQ tests.

Phobos

beskeptical
2002-Jun-18, 06:45 AM
Those presidential IQs sure seem to reflect my picture of the presidents at least back to Nixon. I am quite concerned about the apparent lack of IQ in our current nuke button holder. He can't even pronounce nuclear. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Sorry, back to astronomy.

Jovianboy
2002-Jun-18, 07:31 AM
I think I can get this back on topic. How about some BAD ASTRONOMY by George W. Bush?

I have selected a few astronomy-related comments from a list of quotes that was sent to me by my father. This isn't just *bad* astronomy, it's positively *nasty*.

I'm afraid I can't verify an original source for this stuff, so you don't have to believe in its authenticity. I believe in it, based simply on other inane utterances by the president! (whom, I believe, is currently wanted in seven countries for atrocities against the English language /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif).

Here 'tis:

1."Welcome to Mrs Bush and my fellow astronauts."

2."Mars is essentially in the same orbit..Mars is somewhat the same distance from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is oxygen. If there is oxygen, that means we can breathe."

3."For NASA, space is still a high priority."

4."[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system."

5. "I stand by all the mis-statements that I've made." (Okay, so this one isn't astronomy-related, but I couldn't resist).

There're lots more, but they're all a bit off-topic. You can send me a private message or an e-mail if you want the whole list./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

JB

[edit sp.]

- Loren Eisely, "The Immense Journey" 1956

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jovianboy on 2002-06-18 03:37 ]</font>

Martian Jim
2002-Jun-18, 07:51 AM
poor earthlings, debating about how stupid you all are. ah, it makes me laugh

Manchurian Taikonaut
2004-Mar-07, 06:27 PM
yes the face looked very good, very real

but its just erosions, sorry so martians