PDA

View Full Version : Earth's Changing Mass

sidmel
2004-Sep-30, 03:48 PM
Out of pure curiosity I was wondering how the aggregate mass of the earth changes (year, century, millennia, or whatever units you prefer) due the gain of mass from space debris and loss of mass from gas escaping into space from the atmosphere.

I’ve chanced on a couple of threads that touch on both these ideas but haven’t seen a direct comparison.

ToSeek
2004-Sep-30, 04:08 PM
Google answers! (http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=99133)

So to answer your question, over long periods of time we gain more
from "space dust" and asteroids than we lose from the escape of gases,
but in some years it may be a net loss.

Russ
2004-Sep-30, 04:10 PM
The numbers may have changed since the last I looked but I heard that there was a net gain of 400 tons per day. That would be 146,000 tons per year, 14,600,000 tons per century, etc.

Whatever the real numbers are, the amount is insignificant compared to Earths' mass. This, of course, ignores the odd trillion ton impactor every hundred million years or so. :wink: :lol:

sidmel
2004-Sep-30, 04:15 PM
This, of course, ignores the odd trillion ton impactor every hundred million years or so.

Don't let that get outside the BABB :lol:

**Edited to say, "Thanks for the info."

George
2004-Sep-30, 10:53 PM
This, of course, ignores the odd trillion ton impactor every hundred million years or so. :wink: :lol:
By Golly, you're right. The KT impact was estimated to be from a 10km sized asteroid or comet. At 2 g/cc, it is a trillion metric tons. [Hope I'm right on this - (semi-inside joke actually) :) ]