PDA

View Full Version : 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany Thread

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 07:23 AM
Well, it's never too early... ;-)

Yesterday, the official poster for the World Cup was unveiled in Stuttgart (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/040930/1/2ak1.html).

And it has some astronomy (http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/fifa/gen/fi/20040930/i/77501602.jpg) in it!!!

To me, it seems the dark forces of Hoagland are behind this. The pentagonal and hexagonal structures in which the stars are arranged point to his hyperdimensional physics model, as discussed in this thread (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16589). :o

Harald

Bawheid
2004-Oct-01, 09:16 AM
Not too early at all. Cool logo 8)

Scotland's ill-fated qualifying campaign begins shortly, with despair and dis-illusionment forecast for late November.

On a happier note, Rangers won last night, so I might get a wee jaunt to somewhere this winter. :D

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 09:29 AM
Not too early at all. Cool logo 8)

The logo/emblem is the one with the three Teletubbies (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/e/wp/logo.html)
What I mentioned above was the official poster.

Harald

Bawheid
2004-Oct-01, 10:12 AM
Sorry, should have been "Cool Poster 8) ", the logo isn't so good.

Are they using any stadia near you?

Hyperkubus
2004-Oct-01, 10:19 AM
I’m not quite sure whether I like the poster. From what I have read, Franz Beckenbauer wasn’t exactly enthusiastic about it, too. However, the official logo (by some referred to as “Smarties* on ecstasy” :wink:) compensates for everything. I definitely need a t-shirt with this logo on it!

* Smarties are a candy brand outside the US: Small chocolate disks with a colored sugar coating.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-01, 10:27 AM
I’m not quite sure whether I like the poster. From what I have read, Franz Beckenbauer wasn’t exactly enthusiastic about it, too. However, the official logo (by some referred to as “Smarties* on ecstasy” :wink:) compensates for everything. I definitely need a t-shirt with this logo on it!

* Smarties are a candy brand outside the US: Small chocolate disks with a colored sugar coating.

M&Ms without the "m"s.

I had a look at the 2006 website; have they knocked down the old Waldstadion in Frankfurt? That was always a great place to watch the Galaxy (the team).

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 10:32 AM
Are they using any stadia near you?
Stuttgart is one hour from here, it's the capital of the federal state I live in (Baden-Württemberg). They have a very good planetarium (http://www.planetarium-stuttgart.de/index.php?id=81).
And after an half-hour trip with the S-train, you're in Weil der Stadt, where Johannes Kepler was born. His birthhouse is now home of the nice Kepler museum.

Harald

PS: See, I get plenty of astronomy into this thread! 8)

Tranquility
2004-Oct-01, 10:33 AM
Egypt beat Cameroon in a qualifier in Cairo 8)
There's a lot of competition in our group with Ivory Coast and Cameroon, with Ivory Coast leading by 2 points and Cameroon and Egypt having the same number of points. It's an exciting group.

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 10:38 AM
have they knocked down the old Waldstadion in Frankfurt? That was always a great place to watch the Galaxy (the team).

Yup, knocked down and completely new rebuild.

http://www.neues-waldstadion.de/

Bawheid
2004-Oct-01, 10:44 AM
Shame, the Waldstadion was great, but a bit old and dilapidated. Great setting in the park and surrounded by woods, bet you couldn't guess the last bit. :D The new one looks good though.

We have Norway at home next weekend and Moldova few days later in Moldova. Then it is just Italy, Belarus and Slovenia to get past. We'll be lucky to be third in the group. :(

Hyperkubus; any games near you?

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 10:54 AM
I definitely need a t-shirt with this logo on it!

Seems they are currently opening the first shops.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/040916/1/27hd.html

Hyperkubus
2004-Oct-01, 10:54 AM
Hyperkubus; any games near you?

Virtually right in front of my door. :wink: I live in Nürnberg.

Jim
2004-Oct-01, 12:49 PM
The logo/emblem is the one with the three Teletubbies (http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/e/wp/logo.html)

I imagine Jerry Falwell is thrilled with the purple logo.

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 12:52 PM

Can you please explain that to someone, er, american culture challenged?

Argos
2004-Oct-01, 12:56 PM
Watch out! The Brazukas are coming, kucharek. We´ll treat you like dogs. :P 8)

Jim
2004-Oct-01, 01:02 PM

Jerry Falwell is a US televangelist. He claimed at one time that the purple teletubby, Tinky Winky, was gay. So, obviously, the purple emblem is a move by FIFA to support the Gay Agenda.

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 01:09 PM

Jerry Falwell is a US televangelist. He claimed at one time that the purple teletubby, Tinky Winky, was gay. So, obviously, the purple emblem is a move by FIFA to support the Gay Agenda.

*LOL*

Well the major of Berlin is gay (social democrat), the major of Hamburg is gay (christian democrat) and the head of the liberal democratic party is gay. No need for FIFA support here. And it is actually a taboo subject: gay soccer players. never heard of one. There was even a whodunit on tv a few weeks ago with this subject as the background.

:D

Argos
2004-Oct-01, 01:11 PM
And it is actually a taboo subject: gay soccer players. never heard of one.

They said that Renato and Leandro, 1982/86 Brazilian team had an affair. They never denied or confirmed...

Jim
2004-Oct-01, 01:27 PM

They said that Renato and Leandro, 1982/86 Brazilian team had an affair. They never denied or confirmed...

Have you folks read about the Nigerian team's dreadlocks? Some officials want the 'locks banned because they "look gay."

Argos
2004-Oct-01, 01:28 PM

Have you folks read about the Nigerian team's dreadlocks? Some officials want the 'locks banned because they "look gay."

Well, and there´s Beckham in the twilight zone...

kucharek
2004-Oct-01, 01:34 PM
Okay, back to soccer.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-01, 01:38 PM

Well, and there´s Beckham in the twilight zone...

Graham Le Saux (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/289853.stm) was taunted for years on the basis he has a posh name and read a broadsheet newspaper. The link also mentions Justin Fahanu who was openly gay and commited suicide, he is the only gay footballer I can think of.

Tranquility
2004-Oct-01, 02:16 PM
I think I remember Alan Smith once kissed another player on the mouth. :lol:

Bawheid
2004-Oct-01, 02:18 PM
Okay, back to soccer.

Indeed we should return to the topic.

So, Scotland -v- Norway; home win?

Klausnh
2004-Oct-01, 05:06 PM
Virtually right in front of my door. :wink: I live in Nürnberg.
My cousin lives in Nürnberg and her husband's a big "fussball" fan. My wife and I are thinking of visiting them and some friends in München in 2006. :D

Tranquility
2004-Oct-02, 08:38 AM
Okay, back to soccer.

Actually I haven't seen Norway play in quite some time. Are any of the old guard still there? Solskjaer, Terri Andre Flo, etc.

Aside: How great is Barcelona 8)

Bawheid
2004-Oct-02, 10:01 AM
Okay, back to soccer.

Actually I haven't seen Norway play in quite some time. Are any of the old guard still there? Solskjaer, Terri Andre Flo, etc.

Aside: How great is Barcelona 8)

Most of the old players have gone, but then the Scottish team is full of young players no-one has heard of.

Barca looked very, very good against Celtic the other week.

A.DIM
2004-Oct-02, 01:14 PM
My wife & I, as well as several other couples of friends, plan to backpack 10-12days during the Cup and attend 3-4 matches. I can't wait!

We also intend on visiting a couple of towns (villages?) that bear my namesake - Mersch.

While I hope the US does well, I'd much rather see the Netherlands win it all.

I was selected to TeamsUSA back in '87 - '88 and trained in Maastricht for a week before touring the rest of Europe; since then "total football" has been my fanfare. :D

However, I lived in Weisbaden 3yrs as a kid and so one might also say that I represent "Soccer Made in Germany."

Soccer has been my life, was my ticket to higher education, and so represents success for me on many levels. No wonder it is the "thinking man's game." 8)

Bawheid
2004-Oct-04, 02:20 PM
Sounds good A.DIM, I doubt I'll be there but I'll watch way too much of it on television.

kucharek
2004-Oct-04, 02:23 PM
I recently recognized that Budweiser is one of the major sponsors. So maybe, in and around the stadium you'll not get German beer... :-(

Harald

Bawheid
2004-Oct-04, 02:51 PM
I recently recognized that Budweiser is one of the major sponsors. So maybe, in and around the stadium you'll not get German beer... :-(

Harald

I'll have to watch from my local bar which sells Bitburger. :D

Bawheid
2004-Oct-07, 11:42 AM
This weekends qualifiers involving BABBler countries; (apologies if I have missed anyone)

Venezuela -v- Brazil
Libya -v- Egypt
Finland -v- Armenia
Scotland -v- Norway (Now a sellout, so too late to come over for it)
England -v- Wales
Spain -v- Belgium

Edit
El Salvador -v- USA

Argos
2004-Oct-07, 12:08 PM
Venezuela -v- Brazil

In the past, it used to be an excellent opportunity to see many goals, brazilian goals, I mean. :D Things have changed a little bit, and the Venezuelan team is showing a convincing football. Brazilians are having a hard time with them. In an increasingly professional environment you shouldn´t expect to see a naive football any longer.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-07, 12:13 PM
Venezuela -v- Brazil

In the past, it used to be an excellent opportunity to see many goals, brazilian goals, I mean. :D Things have changed a little bit, and the Venezuelan team is showing a convincing football. Brazilians are having a hard time with them. In an increasingly professional environment you shouldn´t expect to see a naive football any longer.

True, there are very few big wins these days.

Amadeus
2004-Oct-07, 12:17 PM
May I be the first to mention.......

ENG-GER-LAAAND!

Thank you :D

Here's hoping for a England 5 v Germanany1 final

Bawheid
2004-Oct-07, 12:19 PM
May I be the first to mention.......

ENG-GER-LAAAND!

Thank you :D

Here's hoping for a England 5 v Germanany1 final

Walkover for you this weekend since Wales no longer exists........

Oooops missed El Salvador -v- USA on Sunday. :oops:

scottmsg
2004-Oct-07, 03:37 PM
Two other matches this weekend.

Albania vs. Denmark on Saturday
Canada vs. Honduras on Sunday

Bawheid
2004-Oct-07, 03:40 PM
Thanks Scottmsg, I'm starting to wish I hadn't tried to list them all.

Go Denmark and Canada!

Jim
2004-Oct-07, 04:58 PM
Costa Rica v Guatemala.

No, I'm not from either one. It's just that I glanced at the TV listings. US v El Salvador is available on pay-per-view; CR v G is on free TV (Telemundo).

Just to give you an idea of the high regard the US has for soccer.

Argos
2004-Oct-11, 02:53 PM
Venezuela -v- Brazil

Venezuela X Brazil, 2 x 5. Well, we´re still having all those goals... :D

Bawheid
2004-Oct-11, 03:26 PM
I watched that game Argos, some cracking goals.

Unfortunately our nightmare scenario is coming to pass and Germany looks a long, long way away. :(

Eroica
2004-Oct-12, 11:14 AM
Beckham Got Booked Deliberately (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2004/10/12/sfnfro12.xml)

Apparently, he was being "professional"!

Eroica
2004-Oct-12, 11:17 AM
Six Killed in African World Cup Tragedies (http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200410/s1217910.htm)

In Lome, four people were killed and eight injured when a crowd stampeded following a power cut after the Group One qualifying game between Togo and Mali.

In Monrovia, meanwhile, two people died after fans went on the rampage after the Group One game between Liberia and Senegal.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-12, 12:11 PM
Beckham Got Booked Deliberately (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/sport/2004/10/12/sfnfro12.xml)

Apparently, he was being "professional"!

And not just whiney and petulant. I'm sure the Welsh player would have understood if he had been injured by the professionalism.

I'm not sure that "professional" covers the behaviour of our players and manager who were booked or sent off.

Good result for your lot against France, but I fear another defeat for us tomorrow.

Mellow
2004-Oct-12, 12:23 PM
Bawheid,

aww come on, you know it's been happening for years. Seems there's some anti-Beckham-ism in peoples attitudes.

Ben Thatcher had already broken Beckhams ribs, hardly a choirboy. But anyway, thats irrelevant.

It's been going on for years and Beckham is just naive enought to say it out loud. :D

Bawheid
2004-Oct-12, 01:17 PM
I meant the booking from the Austria game, the booking for Real recently, going all the way back to stamping on Simeone in France in 1998.

Saturday's may have been an astute move, but most of his bookings aren't.

Editted to add:
According to this site (http://www.paulsworld.co.uk/beckham/db_facts.htm) since joining Real, Beckham has only dispossed opponents in tackles 16 times in 45 games, while picking up 13 bookings and 2 sendings off. People who pick up that many bookings normally make a lot more tackles a game. Either he is very bad at it, or kicking people deliberately, and from his actions afterwards it looks deliberate.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-14, 08:15 AM
Ah well, that will be that for Scotland. All we have to do to qualify is beat Italy and Belarus home and away, Norway and Slovenia away, and Moldova at home. Anything less than that and we need snookers.

We'll be lucky to reach mid-table mediocrity. :(

Tranquility
2004-Oct-14, 08:29 AM
Ah well, that will be that for Scotland. All we have to do to qualify is beat Italy and Belarus home and away, Norway and Slovenia away, and Moldova at home. Anything less than that and we need snookers.

We'll be lucky to reach mid-table mediocrity. :(

We sacked our Italian coach Marco Tardelli after losing to Libya away in the last second, and to reach the world cup we have to beat cameroon and Ivory Coast away, Benin, Sudan and Libya at home. The last 3 aren't a problem but the first two are. So we're pretty much out. Another World Cup in which I'll cheer for Portugal and Argentina alone. We're hosting the African Cup of Nations in 2006 though.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-14, 08:50 AM
I think we would sack Vogts, except no-one else will take the job. That was our best team last night, apart from one injury. He will probably get sacked but I don't think anyone else could do better.

Good luck against Cameroon!

Tranquility
2004-Oct-14, 09:04 AM
I think we would sack Vogts, except no-one else will take the job. That was our best team last night, apart from one injury. He will probably get sacked but I don't think anyone else could do better.

Good luck against Cameroon!

Thanks. Good luck against Italy and Norway :wink: . BTW in our group I don't think Cameroon is gonna make it. They've become quite a mediocre side. They drew with Sudan last week in Sudan, after losing 1-0 until the last minute of the game. Ivory Coast is leading now by 2 points ahead of Libya, 4 points ahead of Cameroon, and 5 ahead of Egypt. They have a nice collection of Euro-based players, include Didier Drogba, Arune Dindane, and Kolo Toure.

Bawheid
2004-Oct-14, 12:00 PM
Having seen the Italy -v- Belarus score from last night, I think Belarus may well go through, we could easily finish second bottom. Mid-table may be beyond us. :(

We should start planning for Euro 2008. (Or find a different continent to qualify from, though offhand it is hard to find a better one.)

ToSeek
2004-Oct-14, 01:46 PM
Just to mention from this side of the Atlantic that the US took a big step toward getting to the World Cup by demolishing Panama last night, 6-0. Eddie Johnson came on in the 66th minute and took 20 minutes to get a hat trick.

Argos
2004-Oct-14, 01:49 PM
Brazil 0 x 0 Colombia. The referee stole the show. He didn´t validate a Colombian goal, regarding it as an off-side. Latter, he didn´t see a shoot by the Brazilian Adriano entering 58 cm inside the Colombian goal. The crowd didn´t like it. Brazilians are not happy at home, lately.

Argos
2004-Oct-14, 01:51 PM
Just to mention from this side of the Atlantic that the US took a big step toward getting to the World Cup by demolishing Panama last night, 6-0. Eddie Johnson came on in the 66th minute and took 20 minutes to get a hat trick.

Hail, America. =D> I have a dream of seeing US as a major football power.

Tranquility
2004-Oct-14, 02:01 PM

They are well on their way to being so. They really impressed me in the 2002 World Cup, beating Portugal as they did, and really cornering Germany. If it wasn't for Oliver Kahn, they would have been through to the semis.

ToSeek
2004-Oct-14, 02:33 PM

We've got a great coach, but soccer still isn't a top sport here. The very best athletes end up playing US-football, basketball, or baseball instead. I don't know that we'll be in the ranks of the elite unless that changes.

kucharek
2004-Nov-01, 05:42 PM
Vogts threw in the towel and quits (http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=footballNewsUK&storyID=6677 839&section=news) als coach of the Scottisch national team.
I'd say, it was long in the coming.

Harald

kucharek
2004-Nov-13, 10:16 PM
They just revealed the official mascot.

http://www.spiegel.de/img/0,1020,407586,00.jpg

They say, it's a lion. But to me, it looks more like Alf.

Harald

Hyperkubus
2004-Nov-14, 12:17 PM
The mascot was introduced last night on the German TV show “Wetten dass”. When Goleo VI (that's his name) came onto the stage me and my friends could hardly believe our eyes. We puzzled about whether they had really come up with a llama there. Fortunately, we were eventually informed that it's supposed to be a lion. Uh, and Goleo VI has a speaking ball called “Pille” (pill) in his left hand. Just shoot me now! #-o

Bawheid
2004-Nov-15, 02:40 PM
That is bad, even by the standards of mascots.

Jim
2004-Nov-15, 02:56 PM

Yeah, right... http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/teamnames.htm

Still what the hey does an African lion have to do with Germany?

kucharek
2004-Nov-15, 03:01 PM

:D

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/e/mascot.html

And the name: Goleo VI. And worse, the ball can speak. It's name is "Pille", which is German for "pill". Normally, when we talk about "the Pille", we mean the contraceptive or Star Trek's Doc McCoy, as his nickname was turned to "Pille" in the German dubbed version because "Bones" or it's translation makes no sense in German. #-o

A lion. I mean, lions, especially the male ones, aren't they those who lie with a big belly in the sun 23 hours a day? #-o

Harald

PS: Is there any stereotypical "German" animal, beside the German shepherd dog?

kucharek
2004-Nov-15, 03:07 PM
Still what the hey does an African lion have to do with Germany?

Löwenbräu (http://www.loewenbraeu.com/0_start/index.htm) http://forum.myphorum.de/smileys/smiley20.gif 8-[ ("Löwe" is "Lion")

Bawheid
2004-Nov-15, 04:31 PM

Yeah, right... http://www.tekonsha.k12.mi.us/scaa/teamnames.htm

There are some great nicknames there, but my favourite is still the Fighting Whites (http://www.fightingwhites.org/)

Laguna
2004-Nov-17, 10:26 AM
"Pille" is also a common Nickname for a ball.
So the name for the speaking round thing makes sense.

But, as the major german newspaper asked:
Why is that lion not wearing his pants??

kucharek
2004-Nov-17, 11:09 AM
"Pille" is also a common Nickname for a ball.
So the name for the speaking round thing makes sense.

Really? never heard this. On the other hand, I'm not in sports...

astrosapien
2004-Nov-17, 11:24 AM
The weird lion was hard to stomach. But what about the new red shirts (http://212.185.116.69/news/suche.php?id=4347&lang=D&action=show)? They will replace the black outfit that just recently has been introduced. A marketing trick?
In a TV news magazine this morning a psychologist pointed out that red represents aggressiveness. In view of the recent history of Germany's national team, the whole thing somehow reminds me of a guy in my home town I have heard about as a kid. He painted his moped green because he was told: paint your moped green, then it'll go faster.

kucharek
2004-Nov-17, 12:19 PM
The weird lion was hard to stomach. But what about the new red shirts (http://212.185.116.69/news/suche.php?id=4347&lang=D&action=show)? They will replace the black outfit that just recently has been introduced. A marketing trick?

One may have to point out that this is about the reserve outfit used if the other team already weras something that's too close to the standard outfit of the national team (white shirts).

In a TV news magazine this morning a psychologist pointed out that red represents aggressiveness. In view of the recent history of Germany's national team, the whole thing somehow reminds me of a guy in my home town I have heard about as a kid. He painted his moped green because he was told: paint your moped green, then it'll go faster.
That wasn't Friedrich Merz, wasn't it?
:lol:

astrosapien
2004-Nov-17, 01:47 PM
That wasn't Friedrich Merz, wasn't it?
:lol:
:lol: his was probably black - with flames painted on the fuel tank to look really wild

Bawheid
2004-Nov-18, 11:12 AM
After Scotland -v- Sweden last night, is it time to start the "Bring Back Berti" campaign?

Tranquility
2004-Nov-18, 11:23 AM
After Scotland -v- Sweden last night, is it time to start the "Bring Back Berti" campaign?

Yeah looks like it. Sweden was also underpowered too.

But I think England needs to start a "Take out Ericsson" campaign :D . They lost 1-0 to Spain yesterday. Not nearly as bad as Scotland's loss, but results have been downhill for England for a while now.

Oh and anybody saw Ukraine's 3 goal win against Turkey? Andriy Shevchenko is a legend.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-18, 12:01 PM
And while we are on the subject of changing coaches, Cameroon finally fired Winfred Schaeffer after a disappointing loss 0-3, ironically against Germany.

Argos
2004-Nov-18, 12:04 PM
Ecuador 1 x 0 Brazil. Their secret weapon: altitude. They always choose the highest field possible when they play against Brazil. Someday they will build a football field atop the Aconcagua... :-?

kucharek
2004-Nov-18, 12:07 PM
And while we are on the subject of changing coaches, Cameroon finally fired Winfred Schaeffer after a disappointing loss 0-3, ironically against Germany.

Really? Schäfer was many years coach here in Karlsruhe. When the team dropped out of the first league, he was sacked. Since then, they play around in third or fourth league. He recently won a seat in the city council of Ettlingen, a neighbour town of Karlsruhe where he lives.

Eroica
2004-Nov-18, 12:43 PM
China Out of the 2006 World Cup! (http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3100741a6561,00.html)

China suffered a traumatic exit from the Asian 2006 soccer World Cup qualifiers despite thrashing Hong Kong 7-0 in Guangzhou on Thursday...

Only the eight group winners - Iran, Uzbekistan, Japan, Kuwait, North Korea, Bahrain, South Korea and Saudi Arabia - go through to the next stage.

Tranquility
2004-Nov-18, 01:48 PM

Really? Schäfer was many years coach here in Karlsruhe. When the team dropped out of the first league, he was sacked. Since then, they play around in third or fourth league. He recently won a seat in the city council of Ettlingen, a neighbour town of Karlsruhe where he lives.

Yup, he was sacked (http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=238602&cpid=219&CLID=&lid=551&title= Cameroon+sack+coach).

The thing is, his poor results with Cameroon have been going on for a while, since after Cameroon were crowned African champions in the 2002 final against Senegal. In the 2002 world cup we were expecting Cameroon to go as far as the quarter finals at least, but they lost once again to Germany 2-0 and after their draw with Ireland, were ousted from the World Cup. Then in the 2004 African cup of nations they lost in the quarter finals, despite being the reigning champions for 2 consecutive tournaments. They're not doing well in the qualifications for Germany 2006 either. They're with us and Ivory Coast in the same group. We beat them 3-2 in Cairo, after leading 3-0 until injury time, when they scored 2 surprise goals in 2 minutes. They also drew with Sudan (arguably the weakest team in the group) 1-1 in Sudan, after losing 1-0 until the last minute of injury time. I actually expected them to fire him sooner, but ironically they did it after a friendly match which has no bearing on any official standings.

Schafer seemed to be a good coach, but I guess he was also affected by the attitudes of a lot of African players who play in Europe, demanding monetary compensation and special treatment to join the national team. Happens with Nigeria, Senegal, Cameroon, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, etc. As well as other players quitting the NT because of the lack of a professional attitude from the officials, which was the announced reason that made Lauren quit the Cameroon NT.

kucharek
2005-Jan-28, 11:07 AM
One year before hosting the World Cup here in Germany, a major scandal rocks Germany's soccer scene.
A referee was accused of placing bets on games and influenced their outcome by his decisions. First he denied, but yesterday he admitted that it was true.
It seems, it was not his personal thing to do, so we will see what comes out during the next days. Referees, which already have a hard stand, are now in a much more difficult situation when they make faults.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-1458988,00.html

Others (http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=hoyzer+referee&btnG=Search+News)

Argos
2005-Jan-28, 12:00 PM
There falls the last bastion of morality...

kucharek
2005-Jan-28, 12:07 PM

Since when was soccer a bastion of morality? :-)
I don't know which pay a referee gets, but when you compare with the sums the players get, I can imagine that some thinking can go into the wrong direction. They are now changing the regulations for referees, e.g. the notice when the know which game they have to go was shortened, IIRC from four to two days.

Argos
2005-Jan-28, 12:11 PM

Since when was soccer a bastion of morality? :-)

Not soccer, the Germans. :wink:

Tranquility
2005-Jan-28, 03:24 PM
And he was only 25 I think?

I hear you about the low referee pays. They get really low amounts compared to players. Though I can really see this turning ugly. Folks will find it easy to blame referee screwups on this sort of thing. How fun would soccer be without erroneous decisions by Steve Bennett :D

kucharek
2005-Jan-28, 04:29 PM

I guess, the following plays in the same league:

SpongeBob neither gay nor straight (http://www.itv.com/news/entertainment_895545.html) :-)

Some people have way to much time...

Bawheid
2005-Jan-28, 04:47 PM
From Harald's link:

"The US media "outed" SpongeBob, who lives in a pineapple under the Pacific Ocean,....... "

Is it just me, or is there anything in that sentence which suggests the cartoon isn't to be taken seriously?

Bawheid
2005-Jan-31, 03:06 PM
Of course there is Euro 2005 (http://www.uefa.com/competitions/woco/index.html) first.

Tranquility
2005-Jan-31, 11:17 PM
And the CAF Nations Cup in 2006, in Egypt :wink:

Tranquility
2005-Jan-31, 11:19 PM
BTW anyone heard of the rumours that FIFA was thinking of withdrawing the World Cup 2010 hosting honour from South Africa? Something about AIDS and other health concerns. I think Blatter reaffirmed that the World Cup would remain in SA though.

Oh and Blatter's latest campaign, he wants to do away with offsides. I second the motion. Do you know how many goals will now be scored by camping forwards :D

Bawheid
2005-Feb-01, 12:07 PM
There are also concerns about the stadia in RSA and whether they will be ready. They may end up using rugby grounds.

I hadn't heard about the offside rule. I have long said they should go to an icehockey system.

captain swoop
2005-Feb-01, 01:17 PM
I see Mastercard have an exclusive on ticket purchases using Credit Cards, Visa and AMEX can't be used.

Bawheid
2005-Feb-01, 02:20 PM
Ticket prices look ok, max of 100 euros down to 35 euros for the group games. All theoretical for a Scotland fan, but I like to check these things.

ToSeek
2005-Feb-01, 02:34 PM
BTW anyone heard of the rumours that FIFA was thinking of withdrawing the World Cup 2010 hosting honour from South Africa? Something about AIDS and other health concerns. I think Blatter reaffirmed that the World Cup would remain in SA though.

But what about those cheating referees in Germany? Obviously they should move it back to the US! :D

Bawheid
2005-Feb-01, 02:39 PM
Corrupt refs who want underdogs to win sounds good to me with qualifying games against Italy, Norway and Belarus coming up this year!

Tranquility
2005-Feb-02, 04:04 AM
Lol it's not like this crap refereeing is new to the World Cup. Look at Korea's run in the 2002 WC :D . Two players sent off from Portugal in the first round for petty offenses so Portugal is ousted and Korea stays, round of 16 against Italy, Totti gets sent off instead of being awarded a penalty, a goal for Tomassi cancelled due to a mistaken offside goal before Korea scored in extra time. Then in the quarter finals against Spain Korea score two goals, both of which should have been disallowed because of fouls and/or offside decision that weren't called.

Anyone saw Man U vs. Arsenal last night? The game rocked. And of course the Gunners got their arses handed to them. Giggs was particularly magnificent. He scored 1 and assisted 2 goals. Heck, even O'Shea scored :lol: