PDA

View Full Version : So I Caught Heck For Ribbing Von Mazur In That Military Ribbons Thread.

BigDon
2012-Jun-23, 12:07 AM
A serious hard case we call Mr. Happy for the same reason huge men are called tiny. I was ratted out to him by a third party who explained it to him out of context. Kinda.

We're both in our fifties and we've been friends since we were three.

He was also in the 82nd Airbourne, MP Division for twelve or so years. Hundreds of jumps.

He got me into furniture moving. The kids we worked with called him Skeletor. They called him that because he got in a fight and lost all his molars, up and down, on both sides. And when you talk with nothing but your premolars foreward, it gives one a skeletal appearance. (Before Fazor asks, according to the doctors at some point in the fight somebody kicked him in the head 28 times while he was laying on his back. That's worse that coca-cola towards one's dental health it would seem.)

When that man wants to chew you out you don't say squat till he's done talking. Then he presumes guilt because you didn't defend yourself.

I finally told him I would PM Von Mazur with an apology and Mr. Happy said:

"Oh! you're man enough to talk smack in public but have to apologize in private? What color are your panties today, Shirlie?"

You know there aren't a lot of people left who can get away with talking to me like that.

So Mr. Von Mazur, if I appeared to give the impression that I thought poorly of your great service I sincerely apologize for doing so.

grapes
2012-Jun-23, 01:39 AM
subscribe

Tobin Dax
2012-Jun-23, 04:31 AM
"Oh! you're man enough to talk smack in public but have to apologize in private? What color are your panties today, Shirlie?"

You know there aren't a lot of people left who can get away with talking to me like that.

So, as a purely hypothetical question, could one get away with a reply of "Surely, you jest!"?

vonmazur
2012-Jun-24, 04:34 AM
Don, and guys, "DON'T CALL ME SHIRLEY!!;)" Don, I am so used to inter-service rivalry and humor, I did not notice....nor was any offence taken....I was chewed out by LBJ at the ranch in 1968, and that did not bother me at all, so a little ribbing from a Fine Old Sailor, like you, is unlikely to bother me either...:) Besides, it is a token of respect from fellow vets anyhow....

I am at a loss to understand just what the big deal is, my SOP is; "Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for chow, happy hour, or payday!!"

Dale

BigDon
2012-Jun-25, 05:27 AM
His main argument seemed to be that somebody with enough combat derived fruit salad to drown a strong swimmer shouldn't be ribbed in public, and especially in front of non-vets.

They might get the wrong idea. (The wrong idea being that they can too.)

vonmazur
2012-Jun-25, 05:58 AM
Don and Fellows; Whater ever I did in combat is what it is, and is not affected by ribbing, but the usual protocol is that only fellow Vets, of what ever *country or service, get to do it, so I guess we can leave it at that, if this meets with your approval.

* Certain countries and Vets of a well known war, over 67 years ago, of course are not included in this...ie: WW 2 Axis....This is the only exception I know of to this protocol..

(Note: When I was a Flight Instructor at Ft Rucker, some of the German Students were WW 2 Vets, and I did not tolerate any baloney from them, for obvious reasons!!)

Dale

BigDon
2012-Jun-28, 07:27 PM
My Uncle Don was like that. Perfectly reasonable and cheerful man. A former WWII Pacific Theatre Marine. Just don't bring up the Japanese.

First wounded at Pearl. Two troop transports sunk out from under him, torpedo attack and air raid. (Nobody below decks survived the torpedo attack so he always slept on deck when on a transport after that. Heck what the ship's company thought about it.)

Eleven contested landing, including Pelielu, where their landing craft were hung up on the reefs 100 yards from shore because somebody didn't know what a neap tide was. Then the Japanese cut loose on them with defaladed rapid-fire 20mm and 40mm AA guns.

In that action, in three days 45% of his company was KIA.

Finally wounded out of the war at Iwo Jima. He was part of an automatic weapons company then. BAR's and Thompson's is how their were outfitted by that time. (No, he never got near Mt. Suribachi). In his landing, his wave of landing craft, the third wave to assault that particular beach that morning, was the first one to actually get landing craft ashore, the first two waves of landing craft being wiped out outside of the surf line.

Then when they did hit the beach, by the time they got from the water line to the tree line, two days latter, as the senior E-5 he was the ranking officer of his company. Gave him a Bronze Star and a battlefield promotion and told him to keep going. Only person I ever met who ever got a battlefield promotion.

His group was fired on several times by that Japanese giant spigot mortar universally known to the Allies as the "Screaming Jesus".

Now I had that phrase flagged here before as being insensitive. But in that phrase's defense, my Uncle was a religious man and when I brought that very subject up when I was a young teen he carefully explained it to me.

The Screaming Jesus was a giant mortar that fired a 700 pound projectile. The tail assembly caused it to shriek in flight, and its low air speed made it visible inflight to its intended targets, who would then scream "Jesus!" and try to get out from under it. Left craters ten feet deep by thirty feet across.

I can't think of a better name for it than the people who actually had it fired at them came up with, myself.

Tog
2012-Jun-29, 07:10 AM
The nut (the ONE nut) the holds the rotor assembly of a Huey to the part that has no lift has a similar name for a similar reason. At least, according to my dad (Huey crew chief 65-66).

Trebuchet
2012-Jun-29, 04:46 PM
The nut (the ONE nut) the holds the rotor assembly of a Huey to the part that has no lift has a similar name for a similar reason. At least, according to my dad (Huey crew chief 65-66).
I remember that from my time in the Army as well. Wasn't in the aviation detachment but interacted with them pretty frequently. The mechanics were fond of making bracelets for themselves out of tail rotor chain.

korjik
2012-Jun-29, 05:58 PM
Just in case anyone thinks that Don embellishes a bit ('http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/320_mm_Type_98_mortar')

:D

BigDon
2012-Jun-30, 12:15 AM
I have to modify that statement about battle field promotions.

I knew another Marine who got one during the Korean War.

Mr. Bonanno, from the neighborhood.

He got a battlefield promotion when his and another squad were assigned the task of delaying the Chinese Army while their main force tried to break out of an encirclement during the Battle of The Chosen Reservior. (My father was offshore running around on the flightdeck of the USS Valley Forge)

They held their position until they expended all their ammunition, formed up ranks and then surrendered.

Their Chinese captors immediately executed all the surviving enlisted, nine in all, and Mr Bonnano and his Lt, who refused to leave the two squads were handed over to the North Koreans for internment.

High lights included being tortured in public in the nearby town square and, after their captors found out they had organized a method of getting the critically starving alive by making a broth from captured rats, he and the other six camp leaders were forced to line up and each was forced to eat a dead rat that was bloated by being placed near a heater for a day or two. Those that couldn't or who vomited were shot in the back of the head with a large caliber pistol. Mr. Bannano was one of the men who survived that ordeal. They shot three.

And he was one of the few Nato force members who escaped on his own and repatraited himself. And was proud of the fact. Had to sneak through two sets of fire lines, theirs and ours, plus the interveneing no-man's land.

Yeah, he got twitchy too.