PDA

View Full Version : What if th earth broke in half...??

dashellwinter
2012-Jun-25, 02:36 PM
what if the earth broke in half or a few pieces?

1.)would earth's gravity keep the planet together still?

2.)the middle of the earth would cool down, right? what would that mean for the surface if anything?

3.)would weather patterns be disrupted? what about the oceans? they would dry up, right?

4.) what about earth's rotation?
5.) would the earth's moon still rotate around the earth?

any thoughts?

NEOWatcher
2012-Jun-25, 03:52 PM
At the planetary scale, it's acting more fluidic so the concept of "broke" does not seem applicable.
I look at it as almost the same as saying what if I broke a bag of sand.

John Mendenhall
2012-Jun-25, 05:17 PM
Yes, the question is physically impossible. Gravity wins. Everything stays together. Indeed, the Earth is, right here, right now, 'broken'. The continental plates drift about over the more or less fluid inner crust, the mid-ocean ridges serving as spreading centers. The Earth, it ain't rigid at all. It's just held together by gravity. It can't break, it's already a pile of (differentiated) rubble.

A fun trick question is 'What's the largest rock known?' Answer: 'The Earth.' All four of the gas giants probably have larger rock cores, but it's not known for sure.

Good thinking question, anyhow. Regards, John M.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-25, 07:06 PM
Yes, the question is physically impossible. Gravity wins. Everything stays together. Indeed, the Earth is, right here, right now, 'broken'. The continental plates drift about over the more or less fluid inner crust, the mid-ocean ridges serving as spreading centers. The Earth, it ain't rigid at all. It's just held together by gravity. It can't break, it's already a pile of (differentiated) rubble.

But the core is under a lot of pressure, if suddenly that pressure were magically released...

Jens
2012-Jun-25, 11:58 PM

As you can probably see, I don't think it's really possible to answer the questions the way you asked them. You would have to specify why the earth breaks in half. If it's a magic saw, for example, that saws through the middle of the earth, then nothing would happen, except that anybody standing in the way of the saw would have a bad day. But if say another planetary body collided with the earth and tore it in half, then the answers would be much different.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jun-26, 07:31 AM
But the core is under a lot of pressure, if suddenly that pressure were magically released...
Ah, If you posit magic then any answer is plausible.

So I'd say it's just going to stay as it is, with a one foot fissure between the halves. Remember not to drop your keys in it.