PDA

View Full Version : Exoplanetís Atmosphere Undergoes Dramatic Variations

Fraser
2012-Jun-28, 02:40 PM
Since its discovery in 2005, exoplanet HD 189733b has been one of the most-observed extra solar planets, due to its size, compact orbit and enticing blue-sky atmosphere. But astronomers using the Hubble Space Telescope and the Swift Telescope have witnessed dramatic changes in the planetís upper atmosphere following a violent flare from its parent which [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/96020/exoplanets-atmosphere-undergoes-dramatic-variations/)

ravens_cry
2012-Jun-29, 05:24 PM
I hope there was nothing alive on that planet.
Certainly not life as we know it, but I still hope it was barren before this bedazzling bombardment.

Selfsim
2012-Jun-29, 10:48 PM
So, the 'take-aways' from this article are:

i) A transitting, hot Jupiter exo-planet's atmosphere has been observed at 63 light years distance. (In the case of HD 189733b, this was old news anyway);

ii) It exhibits a trailing gas plume. (Old news as well);

iii) X-Ray and extreme UV emissions from its parent star stimulate the escape of atmospheric gas emissions. (More old news).

The main points seem to be missing ..!!??:

That this planet's makeup and environmental conditions are so different from any other objects so far observed, gives us yet more hard evidence of the extensive diversity which exists in the part of the observable universe so far observed. Such variability in conditions clearly prevails, in spite of the predictable, stable known Laws of Physics. How does the observed fact of this diversity impact our Earth and Solar System centric theories of planet/atmosphere formation and ultimately, the emergence of life ?

Is there an unpredictable pattern emerging for exo-environments as they are discovered ? If so, can such patterns be described ? What implications do these have on our present theories and expectations ?

Sometimes the most obvious things are the most frequently overlooked.
It seems this article follows in that fine tradition.