PDA

View Full Version : Titanís Tides Suggest a Subsurface Sea

Fraser
2012-Jun-28, 07:00 PM
Saturn’s hazy Titan is now on the short list of moons that likely harbor a subsurface ocean of water, based on new findings from NASA’s Cassini spacecraft. (...)Read the rest of Titan’s Tides Suggest a Subsurface Sea (429 words) © Jason Major for Universe Today, 2012. | Permalink | No comment | Post tags: Cassini, [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/96027/titans-tides-suggest-a-subsurface-sea/)

BigDon
2012-Jun-28, 09:19 PM
Cool!

But just as a closer to home measure, does anybody know the amount of flex the Earth and the Moon put on each other?

Selfsim
2012-Jun-29, 04:35 AM
I'd like to know what the exact evidence is, underpinning the claim that the ocean is primarily composed of liquid water.

The last time I looked, there were models which posited the presence of water in Titan but so far, there is no direct evidence of water of any kind (like spectrographic).

Unless these guys have miraculously pulled a magic rabbit out of the hat (by way of brand new direct measurements), I find the following statement highly questionable:

Luciano Iess, the paper’s lead author and a Cassini team member at the Sapienza University of Rome, Italy:

“The search for water is an important goal in solar system exploration, and now we’ve spotted another place where it is abundant.”Whilst the paper is locked behind a pay wall, I'd very much like to find out how they conclude that the liquid ocean supporting the flexing movements, has been verified as being 'abundant liquid water'.

The bulk density measurement of 1.88g/cm3 is consistent with half water ice and half rocky material, but that by no means means that such volumes of water have actually been measured and confirmed. Whilst there is (unarguably) plenty of water ice present within the Saturn environment, I think what we're seeing quoted here, is the outcome of a model, rather than measured reality (??)