PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Dilemma

Buttercup
2012-Jun-28, 07:37 PM
I started on Twitter in mid-May.

My intention was to keep tabs w/one friend, and otherwise follow news (science/astronomy and regular) and a couple of other interests.

Day 2, I clicked "Follow" on 2 celebs and 2 famous authors.

Later on Day 2, one of those famous authors (and filmmaker) returned "Follow" favor. I've mentioned this; was floored. He has 31+K Followers, but only Follows a fraction of that: 557 of us. So yeah, I'm flattered!

Apparently other aspiring or published authors went through his Following list, and began Following me. I returned the Follow favor.

However, these semi-famous authors self promote. Aggressively. They go on self-promo sprees of 4 to 5 times per hour, for hours. :( It all adds up and I don't want to scroll and scroll through it. >:-(

I Unfollowed 2 of them. They were swift to return the Unfollow favor. *shrug*

Basically I'm just elated with my famous-author "buddy" and want to read the news!

However, I'm concerned I might be shooting myself in the foot as regards getting insider tips towards publication from other authors who might've been a networking option.

Hmmmm. :(

profloater
2012-Jun-28, 07:42 PM
No expert but it seems Twitter is for self promotion. Those celebs will have staff doing the tweeting. If you keep it up with interesting tweets you will get increasing numbers, that's just vanity stuff. However if you have a self promotion goal it does seem to work if you persevere.

Buttercup
2012-Jun-28, 07:45 PM
No expert but it seems Twitter is for self promotion. Those celebs will have staff doing the tweeting. If you keep it up with interesting tweets you will get increasing numbers, that's just vanity stuff. However if you have a self promotion goal it does seem to work if you persevere.

Yeah, I suppose.

Meanwhile the famous author/filmmaker friend rarely posts...but then, he doesn't have to. ;)

I'm worried about seeming arrogant, you know? Or ungrateful that other published authors showed an interest, but I Unfollowed them. I've not yet been published, so...you know?

Unless it is their staff tending Twitter.

Don't want to seem ungrateful to anyone, but OTOH don't want to feel obligated either.

profloater
2012-Jun-28, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't worry about that side just tweet if you want to, feel strongly about something, and if you are self promoting always add your blog to each tweet as signature.

BigDon
2012-Jun-28, 08:17 PM
I find, embarrassingly enough, that I obsessively follow two young actresses on twitter, but I won't join twitter myself. I keep that as a "boundary" so I can still look at myself in the mirror and not see a creep...

novaderrik
2012-Jun-28, 08:34 PM
I find, embarrassingly enough, that I obsessively follow two young actresses on twitter, but I won't join twitter myself. I keep that as a "boundary" so I can still look at myself in the mirror and not see a creep...

so you're more like that creepy guy with a pair of binoculars hiding in the bushes across the street from their bedroom window?
naw, that's not creepy at all..

i thought about joining twitter, until i realized that it would take away from my facebook time..

BigDon
2012-Jun-28, 08:59 PM
so you're more like that creepy guy with a pair of binoculars hiding in the bushes across the street from their bedroom window?
naw, that's not creepy at all..

i thought about joining twitter, until i realized that it would take away from my facebook time..

Hey Nova, did you know that if you put both hands on a grown man's lower ribcage, where the free ribs are, and lift him off the ground so he is at shoulder height, like in a clean and jerk weight lifting manuever, that the man's own weight will crush his lower ribcage and potentially collapse his lungs?

Always quite unexpected, that. Not one of the more famous weak spots of the male physique as not everybody can exploit that one.

But I can. :)

Buttercup
2012-Jun-28, 09:00 PM
Facebook...blech. :p

Seriously, glad to be off FB. Much prefer Twitter; love all the in-streaming news sources - especially astronomy. :D

Tog
2012-Jun-29, 07:01 AM
There is a semi-famous author who posts often on Twitter. She's got a core of fellow authors who are similar enough that I don't actually recall who wrote the blog post (and the language rules here wouldn't let me give the title of the post anyway), but it was about how to self-market. Their rule of thumb was that no more than 1/3 to 1/2 of your tweets should be promotional. Some of that should be promoting other people's stuff. The reason being, you want followers to follow YOU, not your marketing.

If you pull up the person's last 10 tweets and more than 5 are self-promotional, they're probably not worth following. A lot of people follow you just so you'll follow them. They don't care to read anything you have to say, they just want to be able to point to how many followers they have. This works to some extent because whenever I get a new spam-bot follower, it follows 20,000 people and has 100 followers, but no tweets. Why would those people follow it? The link in the profile makes it clear its an 18+ site.