PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone know why my TAB key went on strike?

Tog
2012-Jun-29, 06:44 AM
The work computer is having an issue that I can't seem to resolve.
The TAB key does nothing. It's like it's not registering the keystroke in any program.
ALT+TAB works fine. Shift+TAB works fine. It's only TAB when used by itself. I've rebooted to no effect.

Is there any way this could be a hardware issue if the key works in combination?

The OS is Win XP and the problem exixts in every program I've tried.

Van Rijn
2012-Jun-29, 07:20 AM
Is there any way this could be a hardware issue if the key works in combination?

I'm not a keyboard expert, but yes. It could be an issue with the way the keys are multiplexed, could be the keyboard controller chip.

I take it there's no spare keyboard to try?

Tog
2012-Jun-29, 07:36 AM
Not without a helper monkey. They didn't design this desk with cable access in mind. I haven't had the chance to tear anything apart yet. I was hoping that since the ALT-TAB worked I wouldn't need to do that part.

Van Rijn
2012-Jun-29, 07:39 AM
Oh, and by "rebooted" did you turn the computer off for a couple minutes? It's not a laptop? It's best to be sure it's all really powered off.

Van Rijn
2012-Jun-29, 07:41 AM
Not without a helper monkey. They didn't design this desk with cable access in mind. I haven't had the chance to tear anything apart yet. I was hoping that since the ALT-TAB worked I wouldn't need to do that part.

If you have any accessible USB ports and a USB keyboard, you might just try plugging it in.

Tog
2012-Jun-29, 07:54 AM
The cables are running under the counter tops and none will reach from one tower to the other. I can't move the tower without taking off the video cable. As far as I know, I don't have access to a spare keyboard.

Tog
2012-Jun-29, 08:52 AM
Wow, I made it. There are more cables in the giant macrame ball under there then there are placed to plug them. It's like every time something gets swapped out, they leave the cable. To be fair, they might not be able to get them out.

I found a USB Keyboard and it does seem to be working now. The original one was an OS/2 (is that right?). At any rate, this keyboard works, but I don't know if it was the keyboard or the reboot. The first time I only restarted it rather than turning it all the way off.

Thanks, Van Rijn.

Swift
2012-Jun-29, 01:57 PM
Now that you have a serious answer and fix, I can give a funny one....

Poor pension plan?
Blatant favoritism toward the Shift key?

LookingSkyward
2012-Jun-29, 02:01 PM
Longing for at least one calorie? :>

DonM435
2012-Jun-29, 02:33 PM
There are some "accessibility" options that affect the keys, [ALT] included: See Settings | Control Panel | Accessibility, Keyboard tab. I figured that it may be that one of these got turned on by accident.

However, that would affect a replacement keyboard as well, so never mind. But you can check this setting next time it happens.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jun-29, 04:47 PM
Don't pour a can of Tab (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tab_%28soft_drink%29) over it and hope it works. Just saying.

Nowhere Man
2012-Jun-29, 09:55 PM
The original one was an OS/2 (is that right?).
PS/2. Nothing to do with PlayStation, it's the plug that came with IBM's PS/2 (Personal System/2) computer line.

Fred

Tog
2012-Jul-01, 10:16 AM
I typed that first, then thought I mixing it up with the Playstation, so I changed it.

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-01, 08:18 PM
Heh. The IBM PS/2 computer predated the Playstation. IBM didn't like the bite PC clones were taking out of their business, so tried to use their clout with business and government to push them into buying a new proprietary computer standard - the PS/2. It didn't work out for them, but one thing that was retained was the PS/2 keyboard and mouse connector standard. It was basically the same as the older AT standard, but smaller, so more convenient. So that's why we still have the PS/2 connectors, though they are finally disappearing too, with USB taking over.

By the way, I remember writing a purchase order for AT clones where I justified not buying PS/2s because they weren't hardware compatible with our existing IBM ATs and they were substantially more expensive.