PDA

View Full Version : Meteorite Crashes Into London Cab

Fraser
2012-Jun-29, 03:00 PM
Londoners awoke this morning to news of a meteorite which struck a taxi in the heart of the city’s busy shopping district Covent Garden. Witnesses were left stunned by what looked like a scene straight out of a science fiction film. An incident team arrived almost immediately to cordon off the meteorite and keep the [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/96042/meteorite-crashes-into-london-cab/)

computerfinger
2012-Jun-29, 03:45 PM
This post depresses me.
Perhaps it's because I am reading The Demon Haunted World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World) at the moment.

An obviously fake, factually inaccurate, piece of trash to promote a show about Science. On a website devoted to Science.

Please take it down? If the quality of the shows advertised are anything like the quality of the advertisement, they don't belong anywhere near a website devoted to Science, and in my opinion, they do more harm than good.

Pardon my indignation, but surely I am not alone here?

man, i'm all cranky now. :P

JustAFriend
2012-Jun-29, 07:49 PM
To imitate Chandler-speak on "Friends": "Could they have done a poorer job?"

Paul Beardsley
2012-Jun-29, 08:09 PM
Hmm. Is it okay to lie to promote the truth?

Noclevername
2012-Jun-29, 09:50 PM
When I clicked on UT to read the article, the ad next to the text was for psychic readings. This is the kind of stuff that gets associated with hoaxes, even ones done for "good" reasons.

Torsten
2012-Jul-01, 04:44 AM
This post depresses me.
Perhaps it's because I am reading The Demon Haunted World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon-Haunted_World) at the moment.

An obviously fake, factually inaccurate, piece of trash to promote a show about Science. On a website devoted to Science.

Please take it down? If the quality of the shows advertised are anything like the quality of the advertisement, they don't belong anywhere near a website devoted to Science, and in my opinion, they do more harm than good.

man, i'm all cranky now. :P

No, you're not alone.

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-01, 12:50 PM

No need for a "pardon", and you are certainly NOT alone...

Faking news reports in order to promote any type of TV show...be it scientific or not, is just a really bad idea, and I'm surprised that Fraser thought it worth posting...then again, I've been surprised a lot here lately. :)

Paul Beardsley
2012-Jul-01, 03:39 PM
No need for a "pardon", and you are certainly NOT alone...

Indeed.

Faking news reports in order to promote any type of TV show...be it scientific or not, is just a really bad idea,

Usually true, but not in the case of, say, The Day Today, which was obviously a spoof news programme.

and I'm surprised that Fraser thought it worth posting...then again, I've been surprised a lot here lately. :)

Agreed, with "surprise" spelt D-I-S-M-A-Y.

I note that some people have made comments to the effect of, "Lighten up, have a sense of humour!" But the thing is, something like that can be done in an amusing manner without lying or dumbing down.