PDA

View Full Version : As in old movies, did you ever call your father 'Pop', or 'Poppie' ?

potoole
2012-Jul-03, 10:25 AM
I don't know, but I always called my father 'Dad' or 'Daddie'.

Just me, watching old movies.
PO'T:) :D

Cookie
2012-Jul-03, 11:01 AM
Only once, but my brother did it, not me.

When we ere kids, our dad was blowing up balloons for a b-day party.
One of them exploded, while he was blowing it up, and my bro said, Nice going, Pop.
We all had a good laugh about it. :)

Perikles
2012-Jul-03, 11:08 AM
I never did, but my father called his father 'pop', and I don't remember ever calling that one grandpop. Weirdly, my son calls me pop, but I can't think why.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-03, 11:42 AM
No. We called my maternal grandfather "Pop," maybe because that's what his children (or some of them -- he had 8 alive when I was a kid) called him.

Tog
2012-Jul-03, 12:04 PM
I call my father "Pop" at his request. I don't really remember when that was. I have no memories of calling him anything else, but I clearly remember him asking me to do that. I know I was older than 7.

My grandmother was called "The Old Bag" by her kids and their friends, but it was meant, and taken as, a term of endearment. At my aunt's funeral, some of her firends from the old days (early-mid 70's) asked, "So, where's the Old Bag." No one that really knew my grandmother felt it was out of line. People that sort of knew her felt obliged to be offended on her behalf.

Most of my family and my dad's older friends call me "Varmint", while my dad and his newer friends call me "Creature" or "Creatch."

SeanF
2012-Jul-03, 01:30 PM
Nope, it was always "Dad" or "Daddy," and that's what my kids call me.

Only once, but my brother did it, not me.

When we ere kids, our dad was blowing up balloons for a b-day party.
One of them exploded, while he was blowing it up, and my bro said, Nice going, Pop.
We all had a good laugh about it. :)
Funny. Kind of reminds me of one of my favorite jokes - when somebody asks if I drink (meaning alcohol), I say, "I don't drink anything stronger than pop. [pause] Of course, Pop used to drink battery acid..."

That joke, naturally, doesn't really work places where they call it soda. :)

BigDon
2012-Jul-03, 02:00 PM
When my children came along, they called my step-father "Papa" as a contration of grandpa and called him that for a number of years before it evolved into "Pops" and now everybody calls him Pops, myself encluded.

Children, when they are small, have a way of softening one's life.

Cougar
2012-Jul-03, 02:43 PM
As in old movies, did you ever call your father 'Pop', or 'Poppie' ?

Never. Always dad.

Buttercup
2012-Jul-03, 02:47 PM
No.

"Pop" was something you drank (soda). ;)

Called my father "Dad."

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-03, 02:57 PM
No. We called my maternal grandfather "Pop," maybe because that's what his children (or some of them -- he had 8 alive when I was a kid) called him.

Me too. The "Pop" part, not the eight children -- they only had three. My own Dad was just Dad. Or Daddy, when I was little.

BigDon
2012-Jul-03, 03:10 PM
My biological father was "Dad".

I really lucked out in life in having both a father and stepfather that I loved and respected. (I took my stepfather and Boo, who's home from college visiting for a day, to lunch yesterday.)

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-03, 04:26 PM
I called my father "Dad", or "Daddy-o" (no, I'm not kidding), while both of my children call me "Pa". (I have no idea why.)

schlaugh
2012-Jul-03, 06:01 PM
No. We called my maternal grandfather "Pop," maybe because that's what his children...called him.

Ditto, but paternal instead. Paternal grandmother was gram. Dad was dad, mom was mom.
I don't recall how I referred to to my maternal grandparents because I was very young when they died.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-03, 07:37 PM
My father was "dad" or "daddy"; anything else I might have called him probably would have come later than six, and what you call someone doesn't tend to change after they die. My grandfathers were both "Grandpa [Last Name]." Actually, I think my daughter might call her adoptive father "Pop," but I haven't seen them together in long enough so that I'm not sure. But her dad is in his early seventies, as I recall, and that might influence things.

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-03, 10:55 PM
Always "Dad", "Daddy", or "Papa".

Gemini
2012-Jul-04, 02:07 PM
I'll call my grandfather "Pop" by never my dad.

Nowhere Man
2012-Jul-04, 02:13 PM
Friend of mine insisted on "papa" over "dad." Come to think of it, my niece and nephew call my brother-in-law "papa." But he's German, maybe it's a cultural thing there.

Fred

DancesWithFruitBats
2012-Jul-05, 02:33 AM
I'll call my grandfather "Pop" by never my dad.

My paternal grandfather wanted to be called "Pop".

Solfe
2012-Jul-05, 06:07 AM
My kids call their grandfather "Popi", grandmother "Mimi", and their great grandmother "Na-na". Occasionally, they call me "Da". (Edit - My wife is never "Ma", always mom or mommy.)

Funny thing is, my oldest son had a speech problem and had to get OT to clear it up. I wonder if this a hold over from that?

profloater
2012-Jul-05, 07:20 PM
I resisted this thread until now but my father called his father and also my mother's father "Pop" so when I had to find a name for my new father in law I chose Pop. so I guess reading these replies it is in use still.

jokergirl
2012-Jul-05, 07:40 PM
Friend of mine insisted on "papa" over "dad." Come to think of it, my niece and nephew call my brother-in-law "papa." But he's German, maybe it's a cultural thing there.

Fred

"Papa" is a completely normal thing to call your dad in German, aye. I do.
I called my stepdad by his first name, though. Somehow I never felt like calling him "dad", nor does anyone I know who has what the Swedish lovingly call "bonus"parents, really.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-06, 04:05 PM
I called my in-laws "Mom" and "Dad". My wife used the same names for my own parents. My Dad called my wife "Daughter". They only had sons.

Dickenmeyer
2012-Jul-09, 10:50 PM
I called my dad "Pop" as often as not, but not exclusively.

susan12
2012-Jul-10, 04:37 AM
I did once, and then my mother gave me a lecture of how to call father politely :|

Savvycom software (http://savvycomsoftware.com)

closetgeek
2012-Jul-12, 01:45 AM
I switched to calling both my step father and my biological father Pops because I am really bad with names. I called my father by my step father's name multiple times and he didn't take it well, at all.

publiusr
2012-Jul-13, 10:21 PM
No Pe-paw? I guess that was Grandads. Haven't heard Daddy-O in awhile, that was the 50s. Before then, people just had names, like--what...Buddy Brandon, Radio Riley, Snap Allen and Corky?
Just call me Carruthers..but ya doesn't hast to call me Johnson.

jrkeller
2012-Jul-15, 03:46 AM
It was always Dad.

My kids call me Dad. Oldest sometimes calls me father.