PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble With Locked Threads...

BigDon
2012-Jul-03, 03:41 PM
And this isn't a recent problem, but one I've been having for years.

and that is upon seeing a freshly locked thread I immediately read it to see who was in trouble and why it was shut down. (C'mon CC, really? You expected that one to fly? You're a rocket scientist for God's sake! :)) The trouble is, I get this overwhelming urge to want to comment on the closure and the thread is locked!

Which is why they do it.

Kind of circular, I know.

And I highly doubt the admins are going to modify the forum software to allow a "One last comment by BD" clause.

Something I don't really want anyway. Higher on my list of special dispensations would be a larger amount of people I could pm at once and the decriminlization of "Red Forman's favorite expletive" as I use it a lot in real life. While I don't have to proofread to remove it from my posts anymore, I do have to pause in typing not to include it when describing young teens who do middle of the block donuts in suped up pickup trucks and then scream vulgarities at the patiently waiting soccor mom for crowding him.

And everybody else watching this was going:

"Hmmm, I bet that kid doesn't know he's cursing and swearing at Mrs. Soprano*, in front of twenty people."

Including friends of theirs.

*Named changed to protect the not so innocent. (Me). But you get the idea.

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-03, 04:12 PM
Yeah, me too! I always want to add "You really thought that was going to fly?" or "Man, I'm surprised that took so long!"

BigDon
2012-Jul-03, 04:42 PM
Treb, and then there is the popular line from that old black man in Forrest Gump:

"Are you stupid, son?"

Something that would be sure to garner you a wienie point.

Yet another reason they close them.

Jim
2012-Jul-03, 05:01 PM
You could always try this:
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/135650-If-you-just-*have-to*-make-a-joke

Just make sure you follow the Rules.

tashirosgt
2012-Jul-03, 05:25 PM
We need a EU or NAFTA model for forums. The threads are "products". They could be exported or imported. Perhaps "exiled" or "imprisoned" is procedure that could replace locking, although that's more a World Court type of thing. Instead of locking a thread, a moderator could export or exile it to another forum. A political thread too hot for bautforum could be shipped to nazihecklers.com or ourleadersarealiens.

Of course this would require cooperation among forums with diverse political and cultural climates - but that could be enforced by some international authority. . The Globalists can do that, right? After all, they're making us cooperate with China.

BigDon
2012-Jul-03, 05:31 PM
You could always try this:
http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/135650-If-you-just-*have-to*-make-a-joke

Just make sure you follow the Rules.

I can't start doing that, for the very reasons I stated above. :)

For instance, the CC thread. CC can't even use stupid as an excuse. All I can say is "Dude, I'm not asking you to quit or nothin', just cut back on the dose a little, we're your friends, we're worried about you." But if I said that, I might hurt CC feelings, thus making him less inclined to tell me about the Martian ice caps and/or share his wonderful photo travelogues.

You see my delema.

Taeolas
2012-Jul-03, 05:31 PM
Actually I know another forum that does that. Of course it helps that both forums are run by the same overall person; but if a topic is deemed too hot for the one forum, it's locked with a comment to "take it over to *otherforum*". Sometimes it is, often times it's just dropped. (And often someone will preemptively make a thread on both forums to cover both angles of the discussion).

Jim
2012-Jul-03, 07:20 PM
(And often someone will preemptively make a thread on both forums to cover both angles of the discussion).

Two sides to a discussion? What a concept!

Gillianren
2012-Jul-03, 07:28 PM
My roommates are very used to my quiet computer activities' being punctuated with, "What is wrong with you?" Often, this will be because of comments that people should have known were inappropriate. And, yes, sometimes whole threads.

Strange
2012-Jul-03, 08:00 PM
And then there are the people who turn up with a "new" idea and a certain "style" of interacting that makes you really want to say, "this is not going to end well" (especially if you have seen them acting just the same on another forum). But you know you are not allowed to. But the itch just keeps itching. And even when they get banned its not appropriate to say "we could all see that coming, couldn't we".

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-03, 08:15 PM
I think we should have a "One last comment by BD" rule. :) Sometimes all the evidence and analysis in the world won't make someone budge and you just need someone to come in and say "Son, I am disappoint."

Gillianren
2012-Jul-03, 08:31 PM
And then there are the people who turn up with a "new" idea and a certain "style" of interacting that makes you really want to say, "this is not going to end well" (especially if you have seen them acting just the same on another forum). But you know you are not allowed to. But the itch just keeps itching. And even when they get banned its not appropriate to say "we could all see that coming, couldn't we".

There are any number of times when I have had conversations over PM that say just that. Watching the train wreck from far enough away so that you won't get hit with flying debris, in essence.

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-03, 09:14 PM
Isn't it enough that the thread is locked...the poster disiplined, etc.?

"Rubbing it in" (so to speak) strikes me as a bit unseemly.

Swift
2012-Jul-03, 09:26 PM
I can not tell you how many times, as soon as I've approved that first post in the moderation queue, I've had the thought "this is not going to end well".

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-03, 10:54 PM
I can not tell you how many times, as soon as I've approved that first post in the moderation queue, I've had the thought "this is not going to end well".
Same.

TJMac
2012-Jul-04, 04:58 AM
While I have never heard BigDon speak, the whole time I was reading this thread, I kept hearing Foghorn Leghorn saying, "Boy, I say, Boy! Listen to me when I speak!" :D

TJ

Van Rijn
2012-Jul-04, 07:21 AM
Oh, great. Now I'm always going to "hear" BD as Foghorn Leghorn.

peteshimmon
2012-Jul-04, 12:39 PM
Heh heh. Don, calm the duck down!

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-04, 09:15 PM
Half-baked, or fried?

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-05, 04:00 AM
Heh heh. Don, calm the duck down!"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck."

Solfe
2012-Jul-05, 05:26 AM
My suggestion would be to make Big Don a mod so he can "fix things".

NEOWatcher
2012-Jul-05, 02:48 PM
Isn't it enough that the thread is locked...the poster disiplined, etc.?
"Rubbing it in" (so to speak) strikes me as a bit unseemly.
I agree, but there are sometimes things that do need saying.

Being an educational resource for some, it just seems like some of those threads (the quick strike and close) ones could use a better explaination why the offender was wrong instead of just what they were guilty of.

BigDon
2012-Jul-05, 06:20 PM
Two sides to a discussion? What a concept!

Yeah! To get that around here you'ld have to cut off at least three or four sides...

BigDon
2012-Jul-05, 06:28 PM
My suggestion would be to make Big Don a mod so he can "fix things".

'Cept that for hours or sometimes days I'm as crazy as the proverbial outhouse dwelling rodent due to being in a post-seizure state.

That's usually the reason I go absent for long periods of time.

That, and I negotiate poorly with people I see as blatent offenders.

Swift
2012-Jul-05, 07:12 PM

Being an educational resource for some, it just seems like some of those threads (the quick strike and close) ones could use a better explaination why the offender was wrong instead of just what they were guilty of.
I'm not sure how seriously to take this thread, but I'll give this a serious answer.

There have been circumstances, particularly in CT, where we have reopened threads, when requested, so that someone can close an argument or present the mainstream counterpoint. You just have to ask, though the answer may be "no".

I don't think the thread that BD was referring to in the OP is an example of this (I have a very good guess as to which thread he is referring to, but he didn't explicated reference it, so I'm not 100% sure). And no BD, you don't have to explicated reference it.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-05, 07:40 PM
'Cept that for hours or sometimes days I'm as crazy as the proverbial outhouse dwelling rodent due to being in a post-seizure state.

Insert "bipolar" for "post-seizure state," and spell "blatant" correctly, and that is exactly why I don't want to be a mod! As I told my roommate, it's generally frowned upon when a mod's stated in-thread reason for closing a thread is, "Are you crazy?"

NEOWatcher
2012-Jul-05, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure how seriously to take this thread, but I'll give this a serious answer. ETC.
Yes; I was commenting on a single comment.
But; you are right, we do have the "request", and I think it is working quite well.

BigDon
2012-Jul-05, 08:18 PM
and spell "blatant" correctly!

Yes, ma'am.

Blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant.

Blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant blatant.

There! A hundred times, without cheating with cut and paste. (Mods, check the scripting if you wish.)

Can I still have chocolate milk with my graham cracker? :)

Solfe
2012-Jul-05, 09:43 PM

Yes! Oh.... is that wrong? :)

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-05, 09:56 PM

Being an educational resource for some, it just seems like some of those threads (the quick strike and close) ones could use a better explaination why the offender was wrong instead of just what they were guilty of.Quick strike and close? Are those the threads that are closed because the topic is forbidden? That type of thread wouldn't seem to need an explanation other than "topic not allowed."

Swift
2012-Jul-05, 09:57 PM
Can I still have chocolate milk with my graham cracker? :)
You have to clean the erasers first.

(actually, that was a fun thing to do, I remember we had a little vacuum thing to do that and I loved doing that in grade school)

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-05, 09:57 PM
My suggestion would be to make Big Don a mod so he can "fix things".No, not a mod but more of a patriarch. Mods enforce rules, Don's posts might be more about common sense and social responsibility.

Solfe
2012-Jul-05, 10:18 PM
No, not a mod but more of a patriarch. Mods enforce rules, Don's posts might be more about common sense and social responsibility.

I like it.

BigDon
2012-Jul-05, 10:49 PM
Speaking of which I'm having the intense aura of a major incoming seizure.

I'm going to go lay down.

See you in a few days. I'll check in tonight though.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-05, 11:31 PM
Sorry to hear it, hope you get better soon BigDon.

Swift
2012-Jul-06, 02:35 AM
No, not a mod but more of a patriarch. Mods enforce rules, Don's posts might be more about common sense and social responsibility.
BD is the uncle who comes over and always has those bigger than life stories to amuse the younglings around the camp fire, even if the camp fire is the exhaust of an F-14.

Speaking of which I'm having the intense aura of a major incoming seizure.

I'm going to go lay down.

See you in a few days. I'll check in tonight though.
Stay well BD

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-06, 02:41 AM
Hope you feel better soon, BigDon.

BigDon
2012-Jul-06, 04:46 AM
I'm getting tired of seizures. I made it through the sledge hammer gauntlet again though. I think I'll be next to normal by morning. (It's 9:30 PM local ATM)

Yay team.

Gillianren
2012-Jul-06, 05:42 AM
You have to be better by next Thursday!

Tobin Dax
2012-Jul-06, 07:00 AM
I'm getting tired of seizures. I made it through the sledge hammer gauntlet again though. I think I'll be next to normal by morning. (It's 9:30 PM local ATM)

Yay team.

Sorry to hear that, Don. Anything with the words "seizure" and "gauntlet" is more than I want to experience. I was conscious through a seizure a few years ago. Never want to do that again. (I guess that does mean the meds were working a bit since I didn't black out. It was also a relatively good thing, I guess, since I started teaching a class about 15 minutes later.)

Do what you need to do to feel better.

NEOWatcher
2012-Jul-06, 02:38 PM
Quick strike and close? Are those the threads that are closed because the topic is forbidden?
No; I'm talking about those that come in, start spouting silly stuff in language that the casual onlooker might mistake as scientific, then disappear before being able to discuss the points in that silly stuff.

BigDon
2012-Jul-09, 05:24 PM
No; I'm talking about those that come in, start spouting silly stuff in language that the casual onlooker might mistake as scientific, then disappear before being able to discuss the points in that silly stuff.

I always enjoyed back in the earlier days when a pseudo-physicist with a good vocabulary would bump up against Cougar and try to blow sunshine up his keister. It would seem Cougar finds that exceptionally annoying and would often post his replies in terms that, were we all drinking in a bar together I'd pick up my drink and step from between the two, in case shooting started.

Hasn't happened in a while though.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-09, 06:26 PM
What does it say that two of the sanest people I know are members here, with severe mental problems that they themselves told about?

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-10, 01:27 PM
What does it say that two of the sanest people I know are members here, with severe mental problems that they themselves told about?Who are you talking about? Where did you hear that? I never told anybody. :shifty: