PDA

View Full Version : BD's Fourth Of July Post!

BigDon
2012-Jul-05, 06:39 PM
AAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAaH! AaaaaAAAAAaaaaaAAAAaH! AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA!

Trip. *Splash!*

(Falls into kiddie pool filled up "just in case.")

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-05, 06:42 PM
ummm...you're a tad late...

Swift
2012-Jul-05, 07:06 PM
Its a post July 4 post. :D

profloater
2012-Jul-05, 07:09 PM
a case of the morning after,
now in this case a hair of the dog,
may turn out to be,
an other episode not to be missed,
so watch this space...

BigDon
2012-Jul-06, 05:10 AM
Well, we had a most spectacular set of private displays this year.

Dispite even safe and sane fireworks being banned in my town.

As I mentioned, the city fathers banned home fireworks after the 4th of July became National Insurance Fraud Day too many years in a row.

But according to the Laws Of Unintended Consequence, they included: Have a professional fireworks liscense and you're good. Without realizing how easy it is to get liscensed if you really want it.

At least a dozen families went and did this very thing.

And if you are going to go through all that trouble picolo petes and sparklers aren't going to cut it.

This year was different.

Over the course of the evening and from more than one party, not one, not two, but three different public display grade sky rockets had their main charge (?) detonate not only too low, but Way Too Freakin' Low.

In the last one, near my apartment, one sub-projectile smacked the roof of a car hard enough to rock it on its suspension, ricochette back upwards and explode about forty feet in the air. WHILE another sub-projectile from the same sky rocket went down the storm drain, apparently traveled in my direction and I felt it explode through my feet.

I understand cluster bombs even better now.

And my brothers think I'm acting excentric when I soak the yard and the roof of my stepfather's house every year at this time.

Tog
2012-Jul-06, 07:58 AM
I soaked our yard too. The joke I've been making about the fire danger here is that even sprinklers aren't allowed metal parts due to the spark risk.

Of course, that doesn't stop the stores from selling fountains. Fountains are cone shaped things that emit a shower of sparks up to 12 feet in the air in a 10 foot radius. They're no where near burning out by the time they hit the ground. Bottle rockets, that go up to 100 to 150 feet and explode before falling back to earth almost cool to the touch are too great a fire risk.

Our state holiday is the 24th of July, so the whole month is basically fire watch.

A few years ago, the GF and I were coming beck from a movie when the guys in the car in front of us started dropping flowers out of the sunroof going down the street. Flowers are about the size of your thumb and have a jet of flame that comes out on the bottom perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. When they fire, they end up dancing around on the ground for about 20 seconds, and change from red to green to yellow. They spin so fast that they look like a gumdrop. when they fly out a car sunroof, they take much bigger hops.

One of the ones they dropped hopped from the road into a large vacant lot filled with dry grass. The lot bordered two wooden apartment complexes and a strip mall. I saw it bounce into the field and pulled over to try and stomp it out before it got too big. (we didn't have cell phones then, and it wouldn't have really mattered if we did.) When I stopped the car it was about a foot in diameter. By the time I ran over to it, it was about three feet, but the middle had burned out. I got it stomped out while the GF hunted in the car for anything with water in it. I was in shorts and boat shoes. Before that night, and starting again a few months after, my legs were really hairy.

We got the fire out and got back into the car. Half way there, the GF says. "Wow, something smells like campfire." then looked at my shiny white calf and said, "Oh. yeah. Nevermind."

Don, did you see any clips of San Diego's little technical glitch? The one that set off the entire display five minutes early and more or less all at once? Best 30 second display EVER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvulaROLsfg).