PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy-- poster at the National Archives gift shop

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-07, 11:03 PM
Being a history buff who's currently interning in Washington, DC, I visit the National Archives a lot, and one of the items in the museum shop that caught my eye was a small poster featuring a page from an old comic book about flying saucers (this one (http://www.comicartville.com/ufoscomic.jpg)) that the Archives have as part of their collection of material related to Project Blue Book.

I've considered buying the poster each time I've visited, but I haven't been able to make up my mind if I should or not. I love old sci-fi comics, and think they're cute and funny, but I don't want people to think I believe in flying saucers, and I certainly don't want to promote the stereotype that space fans are all people who do.

What would you folks advise?

Noclevername
2012-Jul-07, 11:43 PM
Go for it. If all else fails, you can always take it down.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-08, 05:49 AM
My folks have their basement decorated with old WWII posters. Classy.

Doesn't mean they're proponents of war.

Swift
2012-Jul-08, 02:32 PM
I like the poster. I don't think anyone will think you are believer for that, and if they do, it can be the start of a conversation. Go for it.

Being a history buff who's currently interning in Washington, DC
Wow, that sounds cool. Care to tell more?

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-08, 02:43 PM
meh.

Gemini
2012-Jul-08, 04:23 PM
I like it. How much is it?

R.A.F.
2012-Jul-08, 04:44 PM
Being a history buff...

Right there is enough reason to buy the poster.

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-08, 11:48 PM
Wow, that sounds cool. Care to tell more?

I'm kind of paranoid about internet privacy, so I don't want to give away too much information, but I'm working in a Massachusetts congressional office.

I like it. How much is it?
I don't remember, I'd have to check next time, but I don't think it's more than 10 dollars.

Gemini
2012-Jul-08, 11:54 PM
If that's all it is, go for it!

Swift
2012-Jul-09, 01:45 AM
I'm kind of paranoid about internet privacy, so I don't want to give away too much information,
That's cool. My real name isn't Swift either, so I completely understand.

but I'm working in a Massachusetts congressional office.
That's very cool. I hope its a great experience for you.

Jeff Root
2012-Jul-09, 04:13 AM
If you have a place to put it, buy it.
If you don't have a place to put it, don't buy it.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-09, 02:49 PM
I'd like it better if it was in color -- the more garish the better!