PDA

View Full Version : Advocate Space with the ISS Flybys

John Reed
2012-Jan-19, 07:54 PM
I wrote about advocating space with ISS flybys (http://www.johnnycarlos.com/2012/01/easy-way-to-be-space-advocate.html) on my blog recently:

Want to know a super fun and easy way to be an advocate for space exploration? It's not as hard as you might think. All you need to do is figure out when the International Space Station is flying over your area, then go outside and find someone like a neighbor or just a random person walking down the sidewalk, point to the sky and say, "Hey check it out, that's the space station right there".

You'll be delighted at their reaction... "Really? That's incredible!", "Oh wow, it's flying right over us, I can't believe it!", "It's so bright, look how fast it's moving. Thank you for showing me that."

It happens every time. And you will have planted a seed. It will be a memorable experience for them, and you've just made a supporter of space exploration, probably more as they will go on to show others.

It's as easy as that.

The simplest way to find the ISS is to subscribe to it on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/twisst). you'll get notices the day it will be above you. Or you can plan ahead at spaceweather.com.

Now go out there and amaze people. Best of all, doing it will make you feel good too. Try it!

hardyp3
2012-Jun-11, 06:36 PM
Good idea. I've been doing that quite often in south Texas. I look up the time of a flyover at Heavens Above and, if it's a decent hour (aka early evening) and decent altitude (ie above the trees and houses) my wife and I set our chairs out in front of the house, get our favorite adult beverage, and start looking up. That usually gets some attention. I normally get the same response you mention but once I attracted the attention of a retired NASA guy and got more than I ever wanted to know! I also make note of any Iridium flares as well. They are also pretty spectacular. One note on heavens above, their time is given in local time but using a 24 hour clock. I've been suckered into thinking 0730 was 7:30pm so many times I don't care to repeat it!

hayleygoldsworthy
2012-Jun-13, 09:20 PM
Sweeetness : )

Swift
2012-Jul-15, 02:08 AM
My wife, who is only mildly into astronomy and space, loves watching ISS flybys, after I pointed them out to her. And I even got my 88 year old mother-in-law interested.

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-15, 11:52 PM
I've seen several flyovers with my father, who really enjoys the sight. Seeing that light arc overhead is really something.