PDA

View Full Version : Crater marking to much or not enough

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-25, 06:06 AM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1-24a.png

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1-24a1.png

Are the 3 big ones to faint or a just a dip ?

In the bottom left , looks like there is a small faint cluster .

Also , just boulder fields or mark singles to .

High albedo ? Rays or anything looking lighter ?

astrostu
2012-Jan-25, 06:17 AM
Are the 3 big ones to faint or a just a dip ?
Other than the biggest one, I agree with you. The biggest one ... really hard to tell. It may be obvious it is or isn't when the sun is closer to the horizon, but this is one of the things we're studying - where does the sun need to be to best identify craters? We'll see how many people agree with your markings as more people do the image.

In the bottom left , looks like there is a small faint cluster.
Yeah, again hard to tell in this sun angle. Which is again part of what we're studying. :D

Also, just boulder fields or mark singles to. High albedo? Rays or anything looking lighter?
For now, boulder fields, not individual boulders. That may be another interface or task at some point. From recollection, there will only be boulders in <5% of the images that we selected for starters, and they're at the edge of Hadley Rille. High albedo features should be marked mainly for rays, but really any bright white splotches that you see. In the image above, I see a few speckles of white in perhaps fresher craters, but those are not big/broad enough for our interest in terms of what to mark albedo-feature-wise.

kmasterdo
2012-Jan-25, 07:15 AM
For now, boulder fields, not individual boulders. That may be another interface or task at some point. From recollection, there will only be boulders in <5% of the images that we selected for starters, and they're at the edge of Hadley Rille. High albedo features should be marked mainly for rays, but really any bright white splotches that you see. In the image above, I see a few speckles of white in perhaps fresher craters, but those are not big/broad enough for our interest in terms of what to mark albedo-feature-wise.

Could you perhaps add a clarification on boulder fields and light albedo to the feature tutorial? Perhaps with some examples what not to mark...

In the beginning, it was really hard for me to distinguish the white speckles from the interesting light albedo features. I am not sure how many people will then simply refer to the tutorial without asking their remaining questions here. :)

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-25, 07:35 AM
Thank you for that amazingly fast reply Stu . I noticed that placing your cursor tip just below the perceived center of the carter gets a more accurate placement for less changing tools . Liking this better by the min . :cool:

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-25, 08:56 AM
Didn't wana be the first to mark up the geo spot and I don't know if it'd fit there .

I haven't been to the moon so this beer cooler looking thing isn't mine . And it's mighty big looking for a beer cooler, but quite rectangular . Top right in red .

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1-24a2.png

astrostu
2012-Jan-25, 05:18 PM
Could you perhaps add a clarification on boulder fields and light albedo to the feature tutorial? Perhaps with some examples what not to mark...
I'll look into this.

Didn't wana be the first to mark up the geo spot and I don't know if it'd fit there .

I haven't been to the moon so this beer cooler looking thing isn't mine . And it's mighty big looking for a beer cooler, but quite rectangular . Top right in red .

I did notice a few bright pixels when I processed these that actually threw off the image contrast (which is why for ~1/3 of these, I did the contrast manually). I would say, if you're unsure if something is interesting or not ('cause it could be Apollo hardware), go ahead and mark it. But if it's 1 or 2 white pixels with no hint of foot or rover tracks, it's more likely to be a hot pixel that wasn't taken care of in image processing.

I haven't yet gone through the ~700ish features of interest that people marked, nor have I exactly figured out how I'm going to do it. I think what may happen is just like the craters, I'll rebuild the NAC in terms of interesting features and then just overlay it on the original image and see what's up.

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-25, 06:28 PM
Ran across another , feature now familiar . :cool: edit: 3

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-25, 08:39 PM
Beat the machine is a fixers paradise ! Took me a bit to get in the rhythm , but I finally settled into starting at a corner and bringing symmetry to chaos. About 1/2 way through I start to get a feeling of accomplishment . When finished there is a certain sense of satisfaction that I did not expect ! I think , with an advanced tutorial in methodology that this could be a hit . Not so much feathering the marker as in Craters . ( feathering the marker - Jussst going from red to green for marking min sized craters ) . Although feathering is slightly time consuming it does become an addicting challenge to get it right the first time . And personal progress is noticeable after every session . Really nice job guy's and guyette's .

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-25, 09:26 PM
Found it !

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1-25a.png

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Georgia
2012-Jan-25, 10:20 PM
Found it !

[image clipped]

Amazing!! :D

astrostu
2012-Jan-26, 12:09 AM
Yup, thar be Apollo 15. For a different perspective on it, take a look at this blog post (http://cosmoquest.org/blog/2012/01/perspective-on-the-apollo-15-landing-site/).

You've found one of the sub-images NACs with Apollo 15. Now let's see if you can find the other 12. :D

astrostu
2012-Jan-26, 12:12 AM
Beat the machine is a fixers paradise ! Took me a bit to get in the rhythm , but I finally settled into starting at a corner and bringing symmetry to chaos. About 1/2 way through I start to get a feeling of accomplishment . When finished there is a certain sense of satisfaction that I did not expect ! I think , with an advanced tutorial in methodology that this could be a hit . Not so much feathering the marker as in Craters . ( feathering the marker - Jussst going from red to green for marking min sized craters ) . Although feathering is slightly time consuming it does become an addicting challenge to get it right the first time . And personal progress is noticeable after every session . Really nice job guy's and guyette's .

Thanks. It being addicting is part of our intent ... we want people to stay! Just to be clear, though, in addition to just fixing the machine's markings, you're also supposed to be adding ones it missed and removing ones that aren't craters. Looking through the database, it looks like you're doing that, but I wanted to make it clear to anyone else reading this thread who got the wrong impression.

kmasterdo
2012-Jan-26, 01:32 PM
Found it !

Congratulations! :)

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-26, 06:45 PM
Yes , me being the king of unclarity I can understand your concern . However , I have lived on De Yukon , And I have lived on De Kuskokwim , I've even lived on
Da Little Pigeon River , but I have never lived on De'Nile . And I hope I haven't portrayed myself as a learned person , I just a guy with an eye .

Thanks kmasterdo .

I stopped by the Hangout last night for a little winding down . What a great Idea . And when the guy go's fishing on Titan I'm bringing the beer ! You'll have to watch to figure that one out . The whole thing " to me " is fascinating . How they figure things out an evr'stuff . And ya'll talk back , how cool is that ? This is going to be great when it gets into full swing .

Also can't wait to see how Accurate my marks are so I can get to fine tuning my newly acquired knowledge .

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-26, 08:22 PM
Do I have to register something to report a bug to bugzilla , I have been noticing frequent sticky buttons ?

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-29, 03:40 PM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1-29a.png

What in the moon is this ? Hairy rock ? I make out 4 stringy shadows coming off the higher albedo ... thing !

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-29, 03:43 PM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1-29a1.png

A bit more of Apollo 15 I presume .

astrostu
2012-Jan-29, 06:33 PM
Placidstorm - both of those are Apollo 15. In the first one, the sun was just about 7.5 above the horizon, so the shadows off the lander are incredibly long. In the second, you're looking at either rover or foot tracks; not sure what hardware your arrow is pointing to.

Also, FYI, we added a link to the actual image (it's a tiny hyperlink due to lack of room). Right under the "Done Working" button, there's "Image Link" that you can click and it will take you to the image so you can link to it in the forum so you don't have to take screenshots 'n' such.

Placidstorm
2012-Jan-29, 08:27 PM
Cool !:cool:

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-01, 03:42 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M162284113RE/1/00147.png

Another A-15 ?

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-01, 03:55 PM
Rover tracks ?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M126901141RE/1/00144.png

astrostu
2012-Feb-01, 08:42 PM
Another A-15 ? ...Rover tracks ?

Definitely and probably. :)

P.S.: Could you use the "img" tags? Do [ img ] URL of image [ /img ] without the spaces and it should embed the image in the post.

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-02, 04:03 PM
What would be cool is some Apollo footage to go with these .

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M162284113RE/1/00174.png

P.S.: Could you use the "img" tags? Do [ img ] URL of image [ /img ] without the spaces and it should embed the image in the post.

Just like this huh . :rolleyes: . After reading introductions I feel a little like a pea on a grapevine :p . But (I R stil learntin stuff) .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-04, 02:06 AM
EEk !! Lost my post and image tag . Have to file a bug on that .

I can still ask the question though . I took some close ups :rolleyes: .

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/2-3a.png
This one ( to me ) looks pretty concentric or bulls-eye .

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/2-3a1.png
This one appears to simply be a smaller offset crater within a larger one .

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/2-3a2.png
This one ( middle of the three ) has the rough flattish bottom .

These are all min size or close to it . If I remember right the top is at min , the middle is under min . and the bottom is a few pixels larger than min .

My question . Is the top one the only one to be considered " concentric " ?
So far I've only been marking the ones that are at least as strong looking as the top one .

As I understand it so far these are used for marking depth . ( I affectionally like to call them " depth charges" ).

astrostu
2012-Feb-04, 02:10 AM
I agree with the first one, second you can't tell, third just looks degraded to me. In terms of identifying craters, we have the minimum size. But considering that you can mark Apollo stuff, 2-pixel boulders, or any bright or dark albedo feature, I'd say go ahead and mark any interesting crater types regardless of size.

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 03:20 AM
Ok thanks :D

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 04:37 AM
Would this be classified as a boulder field ? In this instance I marked it as such . But mostly I've just been marking the big ones that take up a larger portion of the screen .

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M109215691LE/1/00034.png

On another note ... I saw the post you did on inverting the colors via the magnifier . Very very cool :cool: !! I did not know you could do that .
It reminds me of my old " Salty Dog " days ( Navy ) back in the early to mid 80's . On our missile system we had a backup ( black and white ) camera to visually track incoming targets in the event the Directors went down . The camera had a reverse polarity feature on it for night use . We also used it on " man overboard " drills at night ( Not SOP at the time ) . Reason being , at sea your battle gear includes a pin on waterproof flashlight . In reverse polarity it appears like a big black splash in a sea of white .

That got me wondering if you have ever tried using your algorithm in that manner , and if so what were the results .
Also , do you have anymore cool tricks like that color inversion ?

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 07:14 AM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M109215691RE/2/00022.png

Should we mark the rille rim as linear features ? They seem kind of self evident .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 08:06 AM
.................................................. v
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M146959973LE/1/00032.png

Marking features at the top of the image leaves nothing but the the bottom of the icon showing .

For instance the crater at the top of the image annotated with the v . I marked an odd albedo feature on it and it can barely be seen . I mention this because you talked about hiding craters off the edge of the map and why you're halving the marks on the boarder now .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 10:13 AM
The sun hides craters .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 11:30 AM
Back to " man vs machine " while they debug craters . ( and by the way thanks for fixing the sticky buttons )

I have noticed myself losing machine markers when sizing the crater due to my finger slipping off the button when under min crater size . Hope this dose not affect how ever the stuff is tallied .
Also would it mess up the tally if we moved marks that don't fit in one place to somewhere else . Or would it be better to delete anything that does not fit where it appears it supposed to go ?
* Just noticed if you have a (mark feature) underlaying a (crater mark) of any size you can't resize the crater without moving the feature mark first . This may have been mentioned before .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-05, 08:28 PM
Didn't I see a place buried in here somewhere that talked telescopes . I'm thinking about taking that step and wanted some advice on what to get .:rolleyes:

IreneAnt
2012-Feb-06, 05:50 PM
Would this be classified as a boulder field ? In this instance I marked it as such . But mostly I've just been marking the big ones that take up a larger portion of the screen .

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M109215691LE/1/00034.png

On another note ... I saw the post you did on inverting the colors via the magnifier . Very very cool :cool: !! I did not know you could do that .
It reminds me of my old " Salty Dog " days ( Navy ) back in the early to mid 80's . On our missile system we had a backup ( black and white ) camera to visually track incoming targets in the event the Directors went down . The camera had a reverse polarity feature on it for night use . We also used it on " man overboard " drills at night ( Not SOP at the time ) . Reason being , at sea your battle gear includes a pin on waterproof flashlight . In reverse polarity it appears like a big black splash in a sea of white .

That got me wondering if you have ever tried using your algorithm in that manner , and if so what were the results .
Also , do you have anymore cool tricks like that color inversion ?

Hello placidstorm,

I would classify that as a boulder field.

In regards to your "reverse polarity" thing you did in the navy --- Cool! The reason why that works is because the human eye/brain combination picks up black on white more readily than white on black. Think about how much easier it is to read black text on a white page, vs white text on a black page. There is actually a whole field of study on what kinds of colour arrangements make things in image data pop out for humans. But this is all for the human beings. For machines, everything is just different numbers, regardless of what colours you assign to them. The problem is, things that pop out for humans aren't always the same number (or group of numbers) from one image to the next, or even in different parts of the same image. You need to get the machine to calculate which numbers are sufficiently different from their neighbours in order for the machine to realize there is something interesting going on. Humans do this instinctively. That's why we have projects like this, because you are so much better at doing this kind of recognition than machines!

IreneAnt
2012-Feb-06, 05:58 PM
Should we mark the rille rim as linear features ? They seem kind of self evident .

Yes, please mark anything that is evident to you. That's why we have you doing this!

It may be obvious to you, but it is not obvious to a machine. And because it is so obvious to humans, scientists can get non-experts like you to help with identifying these features. When you mark these "obvious" features, that means scientists don't have to look through every single image to find them. We know that we can just look through the images that you have so helpfully marked!

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-06, 06:13 PM
Thank you Irene ,

I'll start marking more cool stuff . Everything looks interesting at some zoom level ;) . Like this ...
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M119829425LE/2/00019.png

Looks like tracks in the lower left and something in that crater .

astrostu
2012-Feb-07, 07:46 PM
That got me wondering if you have ever tried using your algorithm in that manner , and if so what were the results.
The automated crater detection code I'm using is based on correlating a model crater I give it in the image with anything else in the image. So inverting the colors is not going to change anything in that code.

The sun hides craters .
Yup. This is one thing we're trying to study.

I have noticed myself losing machine markers when sizing the crater due to my finger slipping off the button when under min crater size . Hope this dose not affect how ever the stuff is tallied .
Just try not to do it too often.

Also would it mess up the tally if we moved marks that don't fit in one place to somewhere else . Or would it be better to delete anything that does not fit where it appears it supposed to go ?
You should avoid doing this. If the machine marks a non-crater as a crater in one place but doesn't mark a real crater in another, please delete the one that's wrong and make a new crater where it's right.

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-07, 09:31 PM
Um sorry , wasn't clear on that . The sun icon that marks the sun angle hides craters . Thanks for clarifying the rest .

astrostu
2012-Feb-07, 09:34 PM
Um sorry , wasn't clear on that . The sun icon that marks the sun angle hides craters . Thanks for clarifying the rest .
Ah, yes, I had that happen once for me in the 42 images I've done. Granted, you've done over 540. Can you suggest a way to make this better? I think having some subtle but obvious indicator for sun direction important, but it would be nice to not have this rare issue.

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-07, 10:01 PM
Hard to say ... I was thinking something more silhouette but I don't know that it would help the issue any . A large note in the tutorial may help . Or a larger , more translucent sun with no color inside so that it is see through (and doesn't hide small craters) . Just pondering .

kmasterdo
2012-Feb-08, 03:39 PM
What about a button for turning the sun symbol on and off (like the markings under View Mode)?

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-08, 05:35 PM
Thats a good idea kmasterdo . Last night I was thinking of making the sun disappear when you hover the cursor over it , but a switch may be less confusing .

kmasterdo
2012-Feb-08, 08:36 PM
I had not paid attention to it before, so I just discovered that the sun symbol disappears when you click the "Markings Off" button.

astrostu
2012-Feb-08, 09:01 PM
I had not paid attention to it before, so I just discovered that the sun symbol disappears when you click the "Markings Off" button.
Ooo. Didn't realize that. Placidstorm - is this a good enough solution, one that's already in place if not quite known (maybe we can make it more obvious that's what happens)?

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-08, 10:14 PM
kmasterdo

I had noticed it right off but didn't want to call attention to it at the time as I'm trying to fine-tune my " cratering " . And I wear the markings button out :D .

Ooo. Didn't realize that. Placidstorm - is this a good enough solution, one that's already in place if not quite known (maybe we can make it more obvious that's what happens)?

Having no idea at what is involved in changing stuff , I'd tend to say " Simplest is best ." Making it more obvious should do the trick . And a better tutorial ( but I expect that's in the works ).

Oyes ! Clicking the circle button repeatedly without moving the cursor produces mini crosshairs (in red :cool: ) that one can just so slightly nudge around to greatly increase centering . If the crosshairs were increased a pixel or two and it was referenced in the tutorial , it may prove to be a simple solution to centering . Try it , see what you think . ( if your not already )

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-25, 05:36 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M122184104RE/1/00328.png

I thought this to be a curious linear feature .

Bottom center to middle center .

Ya'll interested in these or do you want something a little more pronounced ?

astrostu
2012-Feb-27, 10:00 PM
Go ahead and mark it. I haven't quite decided how we're going to be analyzing the "interesting features" that are marked, though I expect I'll do some sort of thing where I see how many people have marked each feature and if it's above a certain amount, I'll take a more detailed look.

IreneAnt
2012-Feb-28, 09:44 PM
I'm not seeing anything linear here, placidstorm. So, perhaps it would be best for you to mark and then we can decide if you are seeing something we failed to see.

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-29, 12:55 AM
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/1a.png

From the bottom to the top third where it go's down that dip then I kinda lose it .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-29, 01:15 AM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M162284113RE/1/00221.png

This and some like it I marked as odd shaped feature as the rings don't go all the way around the largest crater in the pic .

Placidstorm
2012-Feb-29, 10:06 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M113934743LE/1/00148.png
Another 1 !

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-02, 10:27 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M119822622LE/1/00180.png

More A-15 I assume .:cool:

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-03, 07:39 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M170538271RE/2/00019.png

baskerbosse
2012-Mar-05, 01:29 AM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M119822622LE/1/00180.png

More A-15 I assume .:cool:

-That's the same rover I found. In the top right corner. -Cool!

That looks like the lander to the left, -But what's the white rectangle between them? I've seen it on other pictures too, so It can't be a pixel artifact..

Peter

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-05, 04:28 PM
I'm thinking "out house, " ;) I can't find anything on it via the web . However http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/placidstorms/3-4.png
this darker pic makes me think pesky rock . Or maybe ( gum wrapper ) :rolleyes: .

astrostu
2012-Mar-06, 11:46 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/v2/M162284113RE/1/00221.png

This and some like it I marked as odd shaped feature as the rings don't go all the way around the largest crater in the pic .

That is indeed an interesting feature. Maybe Irene has ideas about what's going on there. If I had to guess and it weren't a post-formation feature, I'd say the crater wall is exposing a cross-section of stratified layers of material. But don't take my word on that.

astrostu
2012-Mar-06, 11:47 PM
That looks like the lander to the left, -But what's the white rectangle between them? I've seen it on other pictures too, so It can't be a pixel artifact.
I think it's likely an artifact.

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-08, 07:18 PM
Silly question . Speed Minimum , how fast is an object falling when it hits the moon ( in mph ) ? Excluding comets , asteroids , and man made objects propelled or flung into the moon . But rather the other stuff , grains of sand , lofted dust , things that just kinda fell down ? Is it terminal velocity ?

And where might be a good link for something like that ? ( to figure impact energy , mass and what it takes to make a certain size " small" crater ) .

astrostu
2012-Mar-11, 09:38 AM
First, there's no atmosphere, so no drag, so the concept of terminal velocity doesn't apply in this case.

The problem you're sort of asking about is something in physics we would call v_infinity, or the velocity an object would have when it hits a planet/moon/whatever if it started out with zero velocity at an infinite distance. So its final velocity is dictated solely by the amount of potential energy that it had. The gravitational potential energy of a stationary object an infinite distance away is equal to the kinetic energy of that object leaving [the moon, in this case] at escape velocity. So the object would impact the moon at escape velocity, which is about 2.4 km/sec.

Or if we're talking about an object that, say, you kicked up, it would impact the moon with the same velocity that you kicked it up with.

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-11, 01:56 PM
Cool , thanks Stu . So , in mph thats 1.49129 miles per sec X 60 X 60 = 5368.32 mph . My .22 will only offer me a 855.68 mph impactor @ 1255 fps

Just thinking about making some craters to see what happens . Maybe if I use a lesser material like flour of something as a target I can fudge it closer to real . I have better rifles but can't seem to find the ammo as spring cleaning is still 2 months away up here . I had thought of using several different sized bullets on the target , maybe even trying to simulate a small portion of the moon . Something I've been kicking around since
last summer .

astrostu
2012-Mar-14, 07:38 AM
Cool , thanks Stu . So , in mph thats 1.49129 miles per sec X 60 X 60 = 5368.32 mph . My .22 will only offer me a 855.68 mph impactor @ 1255 fps

Just thinking about making some craters to see what happens . Maybe if I use a lesser material like flour of something as a target I can fudge it closer to real . I have better rifles but can't seem to find the ammo as spring cleaning is still 2 months away up here . I had thought of using several different sized bullets on the target , maybe even trying to simulate a small portion of the moon . Something I've been kicking around since
last summer .

Well ... something we do in classroom demonstrations - usually with small children - is to get a clear plastic tub, put in a layer of Oreo crumbs, then flour or sugar, then graham cracker crumbs, etc. (build up several layers), and then drop a heavy ball in. It's not a hypervelocity impact (really really fast that makes a "real" crater), but it gives the basic idea and the kids can see the overturned layers that happen as a result (and then eat them).

In lab simulations of cratering, they do use a giant gun. Check out the site if you're interested. (http://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/ares/hvit/index.cfm)

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-22, 02:54 PM
Still scratching my head on that link.

On a new note... are we still cratering on A-15 or are we looking for that "hidden" mare yet?

Placidstorm
2012-Mar-22, 03:45 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/sub_images/M109215691LE/0/00045.png

Kinda in the middle is a Ray crater exclusion zone. I marked as odd albedo.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cosmoquest/data/mappers/moon/sub_images/M109215691LE/0/00048.png

And here, several bright points I marked as unknown. I did not mark the small Exclusion zone on the top as it appeared terrain related.( small bump if you zoom in).

astrostu
2012-Apr-11, 07:39 PM
Hi placidstorm, sorry for the huge delay in responding. Stuff with my other job piled up. Anyway, the images in the queue are still Apollo 15, but ones in the cryptomare region are now live and should be showing up soon. Apollo 12 and 14 images will also be added in the next few weeks or so.

mutleyeng
2012-May-10, 01:03 PM
hey up,
just started doing this, but feel i could do a much better job if maybe one of the experts could do a youtube of an assortment of images to give a better idea of what to mark and what not to mark.
Same with the ice mappers.
when ive compared to the average in the gallery, sometimes im pretty close, other times i might have a fraction of what others have marked.
I appreciated that the way the data is used, it may not be considered neccessary, but human nature being as it is, we all want to feel we can do a good job.
Just like to thank everyone involved for bringing this resorce to us lay folk though. It is just sensational

kmasterdo
2012-May-10, 01:49 PM
hey up,
just started doing this, but feel i could do a much better job if maybe one of the experts could do a youtube of an assortment of images to give a better idea of what to mark and what not to mark.
when ive compared to the average in the gallery, sometimes im pretty close, other times i might have a fraction of what others have marked.
Hi nudger1964, and welcome to CosmoQuest!
Using your best judgment, reading the tutorials/FAQ and being here on the forum, you'll soon be proficient in crater/ice marking. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
And I'll ask if there are any plans for video tutorials.

kmasterdo
2012-May-10, 02:37 PM
hey up,
Update: The science team will consider the video tutorial idea and see if that's feasible.

Shigeru
2012-May-13, 03:19 AM
Any aprox. date to new images? :confused: I'm having lots and lots of repeated images.

Tranan
2012-May-14, 06:49 AM
It can be that you see the same area but not the same picture.

Some times it feels like you have seen this pic then time ore more.

But we need your effort.

Thank you.

kmasterdo
2012-May-14, 06:57 AM
I'm having lots and lots of repeated images.

According to starstryder, the repeat images bug should be fixed now (but the team will check again). You should only get repeat images if you're not logged in.

Update: The bug has been fixed and it has been tested. It should be fine now. Happy marking! ;)

Shigeru
2012-May-14, 02:13 PM
According to starstryder, the repeat images bug should be fixed now (but the team will check again). You should only get repeat images if you're not logged in.

Update: The bug has been fixed and it has been tested. It should be fine now. Happy marking! ;)

Excellent! Today is a busy day but time to hunt some craters! ;)

P.D.: About "It can be that you see the same area but not the same picture" I was checking the name of the picture every time and the names was always the same when repeat. But it's true, in some occasions, for example after picture 0015 the computer give you the 0016 corresponding to the immediately next area making that illusion.

matthewny
2012-May-16, 02:34 PM

Thank you very much for fixing this. It had taken all the enjoyment out of looking at the moon surfaces to see the same stuff over and over.
Thanks again!

kmasterdo
2012-May-17, 09:52 AM
hey up,
I opened a poll on video tutorials (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?598-Video-tutorials). Let us know what you would like!

lynx1
2012-Jul-04, 05:30 PM
thanks for these posts, placidstorm! I'm just starting out an trying to get a feel for what my limits are to marking ghostly craters. Really amazing features in that last example!!! Maybe we should add a feature class of "biogenic origin"? :D