PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone project 1: Image matching

StarStryder
2012-Feb-03, 07:43 AM
This should be simple... if you know how to program for phones, which I don't!

There are several different projects that fall into the category of "Here is something identified as X. X comes in 4 flavors. Which of the 4 flavors is it." In each case, users should see a large version of the image they are identifying, and then example images of the 4 flavors.

In an ideal world, there would be a way to generate these apps easily as new science questions come up.

AC0KG
2012-Feb-03, 10:26 PM
Sounds pretty straight-forward. Can you provide a concrete example?

There are a lot of questions about the details. Before I ask, do you have any more detailed discussion about the app?

StarStryder
2012-Feb-03, 10:37 PM
Give me a couple hours (ok maybe longer - dinner with friends may interrupt) and I'll post a screen capture of a mock up.

StarStryder
2012-Feb-03, 11:29 PM
We're working on a sidebar widget with the same functionality as the mobile app discussed above. A mockup can be found here. (http://cosmoquest.org/code_examples/mockups/Screen%20Shot%202012-02-03%20at%205.19.17%20PM.png) I need to work on alphas to get it a little less busy, but this should give you an idea.

AC0KG
2012-Feb-04, 09:37 PM
Ok, great. Do you want it to be all on-line, where the server side handles producing the subject image from your data, or does it need to work in off-line mode as well?

On-line only would be simpler, and could potentially share a service with your sidebar widget.

StarStryder
2012-Feb-05, 05:10 AM
The idea was to add the ability to download the next N images so that users could classify a whole set of images without fear of latency or internet fail (like on subway rides and such). As a temp fix, I was going to setup a URL formatted for iPhone with the sidebar widget as the only content. But we'd really like to get an honest to goodness app has some offline capabilities (and nice things like remembering your login, and such would be awesome too.)

Does this make sense?

jefftharris
2012-Feb-06, 12:23 AM
I had time to start a quick Android app this weekend. Just a shell of a gui so far. I've loaded the project up on github as https://github.com/jefftharris/MoonMappers. The app is setup to run on Android 2.2 (Froyo) and higher.

Screen shot on an Ice Cream Sandwich emulator:

StarStryder
2012-Feb-06, 03:29 AM
That looks awesome. And it makes me realize I need to post a style guide somewhere (you didn't do anything, it was just a realization).

What is the best way for me to get you base graphics? Logos, examples, etc?

I've pointed this thread out to Cory and we'll try and get you info so this can be developed in parallel with the sidebar widget.

-P

AC0KG
2012-Feb-07, 12:23 AM
Do you have a server-side interface for serving up the images for classification and accepting the classification info?

StarStryder
2012-Feb-09, 07:51 AM
We're in the process of setting this up. The programmer working on this is Cory Lehan, and I'll point him at this thread. I know he's working on the API, but he's also working on the updates needed to get Moon Mappers ready for a big out-of-beta opening.

Cory
2012-Feb-09, 08:40 AM
I'm working on the API for this now. The basic process would be:
You send me JSON holding some data. This will probably include the name of your app, an API key that we give you, the name of the project (moonmappers), the id of the user, and the number of images you want.
I'll send you back the urls of those images, and the id for each image, in JSON.
You download and store the images locally. Whenever the user submits an image, check if there's a connection, and if so, upload all of the images that haven't been uploaded yet. You'd upload the results for each image with the image id, your app name, the API key, the project name, and the user id.

That's roughly what it will be. It might change a bit.

AC0KG
2012-Feb-09, 04:42 PM
Sounds good. There should also be a url to retrieve project-specific data. This would provide at least the example images, possibly the project name, description, admin notices, and if you wanted to get really flexible, graphical theme for the application.

StarStryder
2012-Feb-14, 07:33 AM
Basically you'd like us to return a friendly JSON containing basic header info? Or is there something better then a JSON?

Cheers,
Pamela

AC0KG
2012-Feb-14, 06:48 PM
Yes. Pulling the project info and page graphics would let you reuse the same application for other identification-type tasks, as you suggested earlier. It would also let you easily push down minor content updates (notices, example image changes, etc) without changing the client app.

JSON seems like the best option to me.

Jack Lass
2012-Mar-05, 04:47 AM
Hi All !

Is there a team working on this project i.e. a Sourceforge site or equivalent ? If not I can get something started so we have a source repository, design specs and bug tracking etc.. I see a couple of people have some really promissing prototypes, maybe we should start getting some desgin docs together and formalize this.

Message me if you have more info on where this project stands , and if we can get some people working on formalizing this.

Thanks

Chris

AC0KG
2012-Mar-05, 03:02 PM
It doesn't sound like there is yet. It appears there are more than enough developers lurking about though :D

I have the impression that Cory is the point of contact for the server API, but no responsibilities have yet been assigned/claimed client-side.

CosmoQuest appears to have a bugzilla site set up. Presumably their is a source repo somewhere.

Alexaggie
2012-May-29, 04:43 AM
ANy more movement on this?

Tranan
2012-May-29, 05:43 AM
My idea about this that you cud have a slide bar. Were you drag the slide to a value that you rate this craters state of erosion. Like you rate pain at your doctors office.

-Thomas