PDA

View Full Version : Astronomy theories and ideas

mswhin63
2012-Feb-10, 02:19 AM
Hi All,

First post, am at a bit of a dilemma and trying to work out what is the best option for me. I have some thoughts with regards to planetary formation that MAY explain why hot Jupiter's and Rocky planet can form anywhere. This would explain why exoplanet research finds so many of them other than easy to spot.

Problem is that I am only starting University this year 1st year undergraduate and to make matters worse as a double degree in Physics and Electronic Engineering the first year primarily concentrates in the engineering degree not physics.

First I want to find if anyone has made a discovery of a similar nature but with over 2500 documents to search on planet formation if is difficult to narrow down. Should I continue to plod along or just simply pass the idea off to someone else.

Ultimately when I complete my studies I hope to become more involved in science discovery though but thinking it may just be too soon.

Cheers and clear skies, Malcolm

Astroswanny
2012-Feb-11, 10:13 AM
Michael,
Hi, all the very best for the journey ahead of you. As an Amateur Astronomer I always tell people "I'm not qualified to say how or why, but I can tell you when , where and how bright".
What I can tell you, along your journey you will gather a grab bag of tools.

One of the most useful for exo-planet research is the TRESCA Database, run by the Czech Astronomy society, http://var2.astro.cz/EN/tresca/transits.php
Amateur and professional astronomers collaborate and share data.
Cheers
Peter

mswhin63
2012-Feb-13, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I must admit, I am already involved in many forums at the moment so it difficult to get into anymore, especially when Uni starts in 2 weeks. I have checked out some information and realised my thoughts although not completely dismissed have changed slightly due to Protostar formation information I checked recently. It doesn't dispel my theory outright just need to go back to the drawing board and alter my outcomes. I think it will take a while longer to determine whether it will work. In the meantime I have 2500 papers to read (ouch)