PDA

View Full Version : Yuri's Night

kmasterdo
2012-Feb-20, 08:52 PM
What about Yuri's Night (and associated events)? In my opinion it's a wonderful opportunity to share astronomy.

Georgia
2012-Feb-20, 09:34 PM
I've never been involved in Yuri's Night, but I've heard a bit about it here and there. Anyone had the full experience?

astrostu
2012-Feb-21, 05:17 AM
I only did Yuri's Night once, when it was at the campus planetarium. The headlining event was my hour-long talk on "The Apollo Moon Hoax: Why We Did Not Not Go to the Moon." Otherwise, I think everyone just went to go to a restaurant or bar afterwards. Since then (that was back in 2007), I think the Boulder, CO event has grown a lot but I don't know what they do.

Georgia
2012-Feb-21, 02:54 PM
Sounds like CosmoQuest needs to get something going for Yuri's Night... and I'm sure we will! ;-)

kmasterdo
2012-Feb-21, 06:51 PM
Sounds like CosmoQuest needs to get something going for Yuri's Night... and I'm sure we will! ;-)
That would've been my next suggestion! ;)

Georgia
2012-Feb-21, 07:25 PM
That would've been my next suggestion! ;)

Cool! We may have to set up a separate Yuri's Night thread. :)

kmasterdo
2012-Feb-21, 07:46 PM
How should we celebrate Yuri's Night at CosmoQuest this year (April 12)? What do you all suggest? (BTW, I moved the posts on Yuri's Night here.)

dearastronomer
2012-Mar-01, 11:14 PM
I'm glad to see a Yuri's Night discussion!

To be honest, with the rise of Google+ there's always the idea of doing a "virtual" party via "on-air" hangouts.
We'd have to see if Pamela can use her networking skills to get Google to enable "On-Air" for Cosmoquest.

What I should do is get a few of the other Yuri's Night exec members signed up here to help give some other cool ideas on how an online community can participate.

In the meantime, I'll ask around the YN community and get some ideas to share with everyone when I get another chance to be on the CQ forums.

Now I'm off to load up Star Trek Online and see if "U.S.S Gagarin" is taken. ;-)

Georgia
2012-Apr-03, 07:35 PM
Our local celebration of Yuri's Night will take place at Annie's Frozen Custard (http://www.anniesfrozencustard.com/) (yum, yum). We've got some telescopes but could use some ideas for other fun activities. Who's got some great ideas?

Georgia
2012-Apr-15, 01:11 PM
Blog post (http://cosmoquest.org/blog/2012/04/yuris-night-in-edwardsville-who-needs-dark-or-clear-skies/) on CosmoQuest Yuri's Night in Edwardsville, IL