PDA

View Full Version : forum structure

browolf
2012-Apr-04, 10:30 PM
I've been on lots of forums and the structure you have going on here seems a little strange and random to me.

For instance i'd expect "Mappers - Exploring Rocky Worlds" to better reflect the "do science" section of the website with a subforum for each citizen science project.

There's not enough threads going on in "open source projects" to warrant 4 separate forums. Bleak forums never look good. You can always add more later if there's an actual need.

I'd separate news and site administration, Have open source pj as "Admin & Projects" with a subforum for site updates and one for the projects. Stick the lighthouse in here too.

then in General have the first forum as news and events which would naturally include hangouts thus negating the need for a hangouts forum. Make it so general ppl can't create threads.

Then join "Geology & Planetary Surfaces" and a "Cosmology" discussion forum into education

That would make

General
---News and Events
---Random Chatter

Citizen Science
---Moon Mappers
---Ice Investigators

Listen, Learn, Teach, Engage
---Astronomy Education
---Public Outreach
---Geology & Planetary Surfaces
---Cosmology/Astronomy

Admin and Projects
---Site Administration
---The Lighthouse
---Open Source Projects

This seems like an organisation that makes a whole lot more sense to me. I like order. Just my opinion. But I don't know if you could with vBulletin, shuffle round forums and threads, if you wanted to. I'd do it, for you.

Georgia
2012-Apr-06, 07:06 PM
Hi Browolf!
We are totally open to shuffling things around a bit... this is an evolving community and forum! :-) I like the Lighthouse at the top, though, to be that "first thing you see" guiding light for new people. Anyone else have any thoughts? How does the forum work for you? What else would you like to see?

browolf
2012-Apr-26, 10:02 AM
Yes you could put lighthouse in General too. I guess no one else cares or maybe it's just me that sees illogic.
I noticed you added a whole other forum section for the Ice investigators.

Jean Tate
2012-Apr-27, 03:42 PM
I like your suggestion, browolf. However, the number of active participants (i.e. people who post) is so small that I doubt it would matter much how the forum is structured.

browolf
2012-Jun-07, 07:03 PM
now there's two forums about google hangouts! :-S

dosey
2012-Jun-12, 09:49 PM
I'm just dozey...which is the quickest way back to the "do icehunting, please??

browolf
2012-Jun-12, 10:33 PM
I'm just dozey...which is the quickest way back to the "do icehunting, please??

click on the logo to get back to the main site.