PDA

View Full Version : Questions and Suggestions for the CosmoQuest team

DanishDynamite
2012-May-29, 09:43 PM
I've taken the liberty of starting this thread because...well, I've felt for a while that such a thread was missing, that a single point of contact was needed between the very busy CosmoQuest team and the perhaps equally busy working masses of the Ice Investigators. The CosmoQuest team, in particular those members in the team involved mostly with the Ice Investigator part, then only need to subscribe to this one thread in order to know if there are questions or suggestions from us to them. And we only need to post here if we have some question or suggestion for them. Seems like a win-win situation to me. :)

I suggest one rule for this thread, though: No image specific questions such as "Should this particular blob in this particular image be categorized as a transient?" Otherwise the thread will get flooded.

DanishDynamite
2012-May-29, 10:52 PM
Some questions that I have posted previously in one thread or another:

1. How often are we shown the same image and why are we shown the same image more than once? Some weeks ago I started saving the images that I marked and at one point I had (what appeared to me as) the same exact image marked 3 times and the same image, but in another "subtraction-version", marked 2 times.

2. What does it mean whern a marking has been "confirmed"? Does it mean that 1 or more other Ice Investigators have marked the same object on the same image? Or that 2 or more other Ice Investigators have marked the same object? Or that I myself have marked the same object on the same image (see 1.) more than once? And does my "confirmed" number rise every time I mark yet again the same object on the same image (see 1.)? I ask because I'm trying to get a feel for how relevant my "confirmed" numbers are.

3. The previous project, Ice Hunter, had the same people running it, the same goal and the same method. What were the final results (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?620-Ice-Hunters) of that project? I think those statistics could be very interesting for us.

4. Will the CosmoQuest team at some point write an article outlining how you process the markings that we make? I mean, how do you get from a marked blob to determining whether it is nothing, a KBO, a variable star or an asteroid? I would certainly find that very interesting. I've looked at various pages here but haven't found anything yet. If there is an existing description and I just missed it, I'd be grateful for a link.

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-05, 06:36 PM
5. When I enter the Gallery and click the "Recently Confirmed Asteroids" link I'm presented with just 2 pages of asteroid images, totalling 28 images in all. This number has remained unchanged for many days. But I personally have 47 confirmed asteroids in My Ice and have had more than 28 for weeks. There must therefore be a problem with the way the Gallery works.

6. I've tried reporting the problem described in no. 5 via the "Report Bugs" button, but when I click that button I just get an error message (in Danish) which includes the text (translated from Danish): "Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects." Can anyone from the team help?

7. I understand that the CosmoQuest team is busy and perhaps doesn't have much time for searching this forum for questions and concerns from the Contributors (this is why I started this One-Stop-Shopping thread), so is there some other way you would prefer for us to interact with the team? Is it better if we use the PM facility?

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-05, 06:49 PM
Oops, forgot one question:

8. Several posters here have reached the end of images currently available. Some posters have posted the number of images they reached before "the end" came:

electronlibre: 11277 images
CTroop: 6778 images
DanishDynamite: 6333 images
cents: >8000 images

How is it that the final number of images varies so much?

Shigeru
2012-Jun-06, 12:25 AM
In my case I only reach 3574 when I login today u.u

elelectronlibre
2012-Jun-06, 08:36 AM
I think I can answer the question #8: Each image has to be marked by 15 people. If you go very fast or started to mark images a long time ago, more images will be "available" to yo. If you go slower or registered just a few days ago, many of the images will be checked by 15 people already, so less images are left for you to mark.

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-06, 02:03 PM
I second elelectronlibre's suggestion for question #8. As far as the other questions are concerned, I contacted the science team so that they won't miss this thread.

Shigeru
2012-Jun-07, 12:19 AM
I think I can answer the question #8: Each image has to be marked by 15 people. If you go very fast or started to mark images a long time ago, more images will be "available" to yo. If you go slower or registered just a few days ago, many of the images will be checked by 15 people already, so less images are left for you to mark.

Interesting! I understand better now, well... was lack of more free time in my case them :( (plus that month offline while sick)

But, ready to go when new images arrive! :D

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-07, 01:19 PM
Just a quick note: I made the thread sticky so it does not get lost in this subforum.

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-07, 09:57 PM
elelectronlibre, your suggested answer to #8 sounds very plausable. Thanks! :D

kmasterdo, wonderful idea to make this thread a sticky! :D

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-07, 10:07 PM
I hope members of the CosmoQuest team will soon have a moment to answer the questions here, though, because new questions keep piling up. And with the "Report Bugs" link not working, there seems to be no other place to ask.

9. I've just seen that new images are now available for marking, which is great. But the "Toggle Contrast" button has now disappeared! This button was vital! If I have to mark objects without this button my false positive rate will sky-rocket. What's going on?

borncamp
2012-Jun-07, 10:40 PM
Some questions that I have posted previously in one thread or another:

1. How often are we shown the same image and why are we shown the same image more than once? Some weeks ago I started saving the images that I marked and at one point I had (what appeared to me as) the same exact image marked 3 times and the same image, but in another "subtraction-version", marked 2 times.

you should only see the same exact image once. however, you may see the same exact spot in the sky but the image was taken at a different time. you can tell whats happening by looking at the image name. lets take this random example: m1105.MB03.01.2-s.0000.0736. the first part m1105, refers to the run. this set was taken at the magellan telescope (the m) in may of 2011 (1105). the second part refers to the field, MB03 for the third field number (which is a very arbitrary designation). the 2-s, meaning that this is the second image with the stack subtracted. and the '0000.0736' refers to the x.y location where this small image was taken from.

2. What does it mean whern a marking has been "confirmed"? Does it mean that 1 or more other Ice Investigators have marked the same object on the same image? Or that 2 or more other Ice Investigators have marked the same object? Or that I myself have marked the same object on the same image (see 1.) more than once? And does my "confirmed" number rise every time I mark yet again the same object on the same image (see 1.)? I ask because I'm trying to get a feel for how relevant my "confirmed" numbers are.

confirmed means that other investigators have seen the same transient within the same image, i think the limit is set at least 5 other people clicking on it (i need to check). later you will see a verified link which means that it has been confirmed by the science team to be a real object.

3. The previous project, Ice Hunter, had the same people running it, the same goal and the same method. What were the final results (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?620-Ice-Hunters) of that project? I think those statistics could be very interesting for us.

so far, the only published results have been a submission to the minor planet center for the kbo's found there. these results can be seen here:
http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/mpec/K12/K12FA9.html
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/acm2012/pdf/6430.pdf
and a very long list of everything submitted: http://minorplanetcenter.org/iau/ECS/MPCArchive/2012/MPC_20120406.pdf

4. Will the CosmoQuest team at some point write an article outlining how you process the markings that we make? I mean, how do you get from a marked blob to determining whether it is nothing, a KBO, a variable star or an asteroid? I would certainly find that very interesting. I've looked at various pages here but haven't found anything yet. If there is an existing description and I just missed it, I'd be grateful for a link.

that is a complicated process but the basics are: you start with an image with an astrometric fit (meaning you know the location of the image on the sky relative to the stars in the image, in the end it is in RA and DEC that we use) when you click something we record the x,y position on the image and can figure out that position on the sky using that fit. we also know the time between the images and now that we know the location (because of where you clicked) we can say the transient was at this place at this time. these points allows us fit an orbit to it, the hard part is making sure that it is actually an object moving and not a few variable stars blinking on and off. but we need as many points as we can get, the more points we can get over the longest time we can get will make the orbit better so we can tell for sure if it is in the path of NH.

i hope that helps some!

borncamp
2012-Jun-07, 10:46 PM
5. When I enter the Gallery and click the "Recently Confirmed Asteroids" link I'm presented with just 2 pages of asteroid images, totalling 28 images in all. This number has remained unchanged for many days. But I personally have 47 confirmed asteroids in My Ice and have had more than 28 for weeks. There must therefore be a problem with the way the Gallery works.

that is something that is broken and needs to be reported.

6. I've tried reporting the problem described in no. 5 via the "Report Bugs" button, but when I click that button I just get an error message (in Danish) which includes the text (translated from Danish): "Error 310 (net::ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS): There were too many redirects." Can anyone from the team help?

that is a big issue. please message starstryder (ice investigators admin) with that issue.

7. I understand that the CosmoQuest team is busy and perhaps doesn't have much time for searching this forum for questions and concerns from the Contributors (this is why I started this One-Stop-Shopping thread), so is there some other way you would prefer for us to interact with the team? Is it better if we use the PM facility?

lately the cosmo quest team has been working on getting this site running smoothly. i (as a science team member) prefer the forum, however PM works, it just may take a while for people to respond.

borncamp
2012-Jun-07, 10:48 PM
Oops, forgot one question:

8. Several posters here have reached the end of images currently available. Some posters have posted the number of images they reached before "the end" came:

electronlibre: 11277 images
CTroop: 6778 images
DanishDynamite: 6333 images
cents: >8000 images

How is it that the final number of images varies so much?

we are trying to get data moved around the site. you may have noticed that as of today we are out of images to show and are trying to get more images in the queue for you to see.

borncamp
2012-Jun-07, 10:53 PM
I hope members of the CosmoQuest team will soon have a moment to answer the questions here, though, because new questions keep piling up. And with the "Report Bugs" link not working, there seems to be no other place to ask.

9. I've just seen that new images are now available for marking, which is great. But the "Toggle Contrast" button has now disappeared! This button was vital! If I have to mark objects without this button my false positive rate will sky-rocket. What's going on?

unfortunately, the new data that was just loaded was made with only one contrast, it is a new data set that comes from a different camera than before. we should be able to make another contrast, so this might change in the future.

natattack
2012-Jun-08, 09:29 PM
Regarding the disappearing contrast button: The new images appear to all have been loaded as 'secondary' images, causing all the images in the gallery to appear black since they're based on primary images that don't exist. Even if we can only have one contrast, would it be possible (without it being a logistical nightmare, of course) to have the new set as primary images so that the gallery works better?

Newhorizonsdude349
2012-Jun-09, 01:01 AM
What happen to the "Toggle Contrast" button?

RoseRed
2012-Jun-09, 01:35 AM
I'm pretty sure so far I have marked a chicken, a cockroach, Odin's hammer, a telephone and an Oreo fudge cream cookie.

karthikeyan
2012-Jun-09, 11:25 AM
you should only see the same exact image once. however, you may see the same exact spot in the sky but the image was taken at a different time.

I got one image 5 or 6 times. I saved the URLs of the last two occurrences :

http://www.cadc.hia.nrc.gc.ca/data/pub/vospace/KBOzoo/cNHF3.215/1325179p.ccd02.46.0383.2467.png
http://www.cadc.hia.nrc.gc.ca/data/pub/vospace/KBOzoo/cNHF3.215/1325179p.ccd02.44.0383.2467.png

Thanks

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-09, 01:29 PM
I'm pretty sure so far I have marked a chicken, a cockroach, Odin's hammer, a telephone and an Oreo fudge cream cookie.

Cool! Do you want to share these examples in a "Pareidolia" thread?

natattack
2012-Jun-09, 04:02 PM

http://www.cadc.hia.nrc.gc.ca/data/pub/vospace/KBOzoo/cNHF3.215/1325179p.ccd02.46.0383.2467.png
http://www.cadc.hia.nrc.gc.ca/data/pub/vospace/KBOzoo/cNHF3.215/1325179p.ccd02.44.0383.2467.png

Thanks

Those images aren't exactly the same although they are of the same spot on the sky. I'll leave any technical explanation to the experts, however.

StarStryder
2012-Jun-09, 10:24 PM
Hi All,

I'm so sorry for being slow responding. We are an exceedingly small team, and I had 2 weeks of travel followed by being sick. We're working to get a second core team scientist in here, Nicole Gugliucci (NoisyAstronomer), so I'm hoping that with two of us, we'll be able to respond more quickly.

People have been asking me questions via PM, direct email, and sometimes even twitter. I try an answer all of them as I can.

I just updated the Ice Investigators FAQ (http://cosmoquest.org/Ice_Investigators:_FAQ) with the answers to any questions I have gotten more than once.

I also fixed the bug with the "Report Bugs" link. So sorry about that.

Cheers,
Pamela

StarStryder
2012-Jun-09, 10:31 PM
PS re contrast button

The new data only has one contrast available. When we have data with two contrast images, we'll give you back the contrast button.

Ansr
2012-Jun-10, 12:52 AM
Regarding the disappearing contrast button: The new images appear to all have been loaded as 'secondary' images, causing all the images in the gallery to appear black since they're based on primary images that don't exist. Even if we can only have one contrast, would it be possible (without it being a logistical nightmare, of course) to have the new set as primary images so that the gallery works better?
problem fixed. Tell me if you come across anything else.

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-10, 08:36 PM
Hi borncamp. Thanks for answering my questions! :)

Re. question no. 4 (how to get from a blob to a KBO) would it be possible to elaborate a bit on this? You could then put the explanation in a blog post, the FAQ or some similar place. I read that this project also has an educational component and I think a number of us would like to understand this process better. Some questions regarding this:

1. When you have a marked transient on an image, how do you tell if it is a KBO, a variable star, an asteroid or just a mistaken marking? I understand that you have a series of images of the same part of the sky. Do you then compare these images against each other (and how do you do this?) to see if the object moves? If it does move then it would seem to be either an asteroid or a KBO, but how do you tell the difference?

2. I understand that the images of the same area of sky are taken hours or perhaps a few days apart. Is it possible to determine an accurate orbit with images taken just a few days apart?

3. Why is it more difficult to determine the orbital parameters of asteroids vs. KBOs? I would have thought it would be easier to determine orbits of things which move more in a few days than things that move less.

4. Do you also check if marked asteroids might in fact be KBOs? Sometimes its hard to tell if a blob is round enough to qualify as a KBO.

5. Is the SHIFT key not working on your keyboard? :p

Thanks again!

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-10, 08:41 PM
Hi All,

I'm so sorry for being slow responding. We are an exceedingly small team, and I had 2 weeks of travel followed by being sick. We're working to get a second core team scientist in here, Nicole Gugliucci (NoisyAstronomer), so I'm hoping that with two of us, we'll be able to respond more quickly.

People have been asking me questions via PM, direct email, and sometimes even twitter. I try an answer all of them as I can.

I just updated the Ice Investigators FAQ (http://cosmoquest.org/Ice_Investigators:_FAQ) with the answers to any questions I have gotten more than once.

I also fixed the bug with the "Report Bugs" link. So sorry about that.

Cheers,
Pamela
Thanks for the great FAQ updates and for fixing the Bugs link!

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-12, 09:43 PM
Why is this site still in Beta version? Back in April, starstryder said: "We're gearing up for an early May public launch of Ice Investigators." We are now in mid-June and as far as I know (see next sentence) this site is still Beta. (I reported a bug a couple of days ago and the bug reporting form directly stated that this site was still Beta.)

I've promoted this site only once so far, at the JREF Forum on May 12. In my promotion post I included that the Beta label was days away from being removed (based on starstryder's statement). This "Beta label removal" has so far not happened. And I've been reluctant to promote this site anywhere else until it was "fully operational".

So, what's the hold-up?

StarStryder
2012-Jun-13, 06:12 PM
Where are you seeing a beta label? Specific URL? I looked at Ice Investigators and Bugzilla and don't see beta labels anywhere. The site came out of beta on May 21. I'm wondering if you maybe have a caching problem?

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-13, 07:41 PM
Where are you seeing a beta label? Specific URL? I looked at Ice Investigators and Bugzilla and don't see beta labels anywhere. The site came out of beta on May 21. I'm wondering if you maybe have a caching problem?
The Beta label appears when I report a bug via Bugzilla. In the screen "Bugzilla - Enter Bug: Ice Investigators" there is a box titled "Version". This box is pre-filled with the version "Beta" and it is the only choice.

But I'm happy to know that the Beta label is never the less officially removed. I just wish a song and dance had been made about it.

Was there a blog post or a forum post which announced this?

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-13, 08:37 PM
Sorry to be a bother, but I have another question. :)

How big a help are our marking efforts? In the first image set, which I read somewhere was around 13,000 images, I noticed via the Gallery that about 4,400 transients had been marked. Without a detailed description of how our marked images are processed, I presume that all 4,400 marks must be manually checked out, one by one, by someone from the CosmoQuest team. Does this mean that our work basically reduces the initial filtering work of the CosmoQuest team by 2/3 rds?

borncamp
2012-Jun-14, 02:46 PM

Thanks

these are not the exact same images, they are different visits that are very close in time. you can tell they are different visits by looking at the image names:
ccd02.46.0383.2467
ccd02.44.0383.2467

in this naming scheme, the 44 and 46 refer to the visit number.

borncamp
2012-Jun-14, 04:23 PM
Hi borncamp. Thanks for answering my questions! :)

Re. question no. 4 (how to get from a blob to a KBO) would it be possible to elaborate a bit on this? You could then put the explanation in a blog post, the FAQ or some similar place. I read that this project also has an educational component and I think a number of us would like to understand this process better. Some questions regarding this:

What kind of information would you like to know? Is it more the process that we go through or is it the math and physics behind the orbital calculations?

1. When you have a marked transient on an image, how do you tell if it is a KBO, a variable star, an asteroid or just a mistaken marking? I understand that you have a series of images of the same part of the sky. Do you then compare these images against each other (and how do you do this?) to see if the object moves?

We essentially compare these images against each other to make sure it is something moving. One of us on the science team will look at the markings and determine if the marking is good or not, there has to be at least 3 markings (I think) close to the same location for it to even get reviewed as good (we see them all, we just automatically mark it as bad on the way in if it has few markings). This takes out the mistake markings, weather someone clicking randomly or a marking on a cosmic ray strike. If we have a good marking in the same location at different times then we say that it has to be a variable star blinking on and off. If there is a good transient marked in the image and another is not seen at the same spot (meaning it is not a variable star) we mark that differently in out database. From there, we know about how fast they should be moving so if we have 2 markings that are the right distance from each other over the right amount of time we have a program that will show us those images so we can link them up. However, we like to get at least 3 in a visit to make sure that it is not just 2 variable stars that are bright at the right times and spaced correctly.

If it does move then it would seem to be either an asteroid or a KBO, but how do you tell the difference?

Asteroids usually appear to be slightly streaked as they are moving much faster than KBO's, this is something that we can change in the review process. However, if one gets by, its not a big deal, we will be able to see if it is an asteroid after fitting an orbit to it and seeing that it is very close in.

2. I understand that the images of the same area of sky are taken hours or perhaps a few days apart. Is it possible to determine an accurate orbit with images taken just a few days apart?

Yes it is possible but hard. If you have enough good measurements and the data is taken at opposition, you can get an orbit with fairly low errors after 4 or 5 days. However, longer arcs will make for much better orbit calculations so more is always better in this case.

3. Why is it more difficult to determine the orbital parameters of asteroids vs. KBOs? I would have thought it would be easier to determine orbits of things which move more in a few days than things that move less.

Much of this data on this site is taken close to quadrature (which maximum elongation but outside of Earth's orbit) we call it the 'confusion zone'. At this point asteroids and KBO's can appear to move in very weird ways if you do not know their orbital properties yet. Here is an illustration to try to show what Im talking about:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Positional_astronomy.svg/500px-Positional_astronomy.svg.png
At this point of quadrature, asteroids can appear to move at the same rate as KBO's and they can both move in retrograde patterns which makes it very hard to start getting an orbit.

4. Do you also check if marked asteroids might in fact be KBOs? Sometimes its hard to tell if a blob is round enough to qualify as a KBO.

Yes we do check. You should not see any KBO's marked as asteroids, maybe the other way around (which is not as a big of an issue). When we mark something as an asteroid we do not consider it for first round MPC submission (as this project is focused on KBO's) or to look at as a NH candidate (because NH has already passed it). So, if you do see this, please bring it up and we will take another look at it. But this should not happen, once we have something as an asteroid, we usually have a pretty good orbit for it and can safely throw it out of the running for NH.

5. Is the SHIFT key not working on your keyboard? :p

It was that day.

borncamp
2012-Jun-14, 04:32 PM
Sorry to be a bother, but I have another question. :)

How big a help are our marking efforts? In the first image set, which I read somewhere was around 13,000 images, I noticed via the Gallery that about 4,400 transients had been marked. Without a detailed description of how our marked images are processed, I presume that all 4,400 marks must be manually checked out, one by one, by someone from the CosmoQuest team. Does this mean that our work basically reduces the initial filtering work of the CosmoQuest team by 2/3 rds?

When we were still "Ice Hunters", the only things that were found in the data from the subaru telescope were found by the public via the website, so you do have a major contribution. But yes, someone does manually go over the results (meaning your clicks) after an automatic process has filtered some of the main issues out.

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-15, 05:38 AM
Thanks for explaining that, borncamp!

GrahamDungworth
2012-Jun-15, 11:07 AM
We much appreciate these excellent explanations.

browolf
2012-Jun-27, 09:54 AM
The panel that showed our stats seems to have disappeared since last week I was on.

centsworth_II
2012-Jun-27, 11:34 AM
The panel that showed our stats seems to have disappeared since last week I was on.
Since the update last night, I've cleared my cookies as suggested and restarted my computer and my stats panel has failed to reappear as well.

dennispattensr
2012-Jun-27, 12:37 PM
The "My Ice" statistics are missing from the search window. I re-logged on several times but it is not populating on the window. Did we have a software change or build that could have caused this? Thanks for your efforts in addressing this.

dennispattensr

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-27, 01:53 PM
Hi dennispattensr, I moved your post to this thread. There was an upgrade last night.

And of course: Welcome to CosmoQuest! ;)

StarStryder
2012-Jun-27, 02:16 PM
The "My Ice" statistics are missing from the search window. I re-logged on several times but it is not populating on the window. Did we have a software change or build that could have caused this? Thanks for your efforts in addressing this.

dennispattensr

We had to temporarily remove them to speed up the site. I can explain this hopefully in a few hours, but at the latest by Saturday. So sorry to be cryptic.

-P

browolf
2012-Jun-28, 09:08 AM
Conceivably you could have wrote apologies in the region left by removing the stats. Even with a link to this thread Or a stickied "Issues with Ice investigators" thread would make more sense.

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-28, 01:40 PM
Conceivably you could have wrote apologies in the region left by removing the stats. Apologies for that from the science/build team...

gonano
2012-Jun-29, 05:34 PM
My stat is returned .
Great job to all the team.
Well done.
Cheers Gonano.

browolf
2012-Jun-29, 11:35 PM
My stat is returned .
Great job to all the team.
Well done.
Cheers Gonano.

Seconded.

Funnily enough, when there was no stats I was less perturbed about tagging uncertain objects. With stats one has loss aversion over diminishing ones marked:confirmed ratio. It'd be interesting to see if people tagged more when stats were down.
It's like psychology ontop of astronomy :D

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-30, 05:20 AM
It's like psychology ontop of astronomy :D

That's why I thought one could do psychological studies here... :D

browolf
2012-Jul-02, 03:29 PM
Did something happen to marked:confirmed earlier? I suddenly noticed I have more confirmed than marked....that can't be right surely...

kmasterdo
2012-Jul-02, 03:46 PM
Did something happen to marked:confirmed earlier?

I'll try to find that out.

StarStryder
2012-Jul-02, 04:40 PM
Something clearly went BOINK! when we rebooted after the Amazon crash. Let me get Cory to fix.

Cory
2012-Jul-02, 09:28 PM
This and many other things will be fixed on a very large update Friday. Expect awesome things then.

allisonlee
2012-Jul-03, 12:48 AM
Does anyone know what the huge white blobs are with the black lines/blobs in the middle? I don't think they are transients because of the black lines/spots.

kmasterdo
2012-Jul-03, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know what the huge white blobs are with the black lines/blobs in the middle?

They could be residuals from the subtraction process.

browolf
2012-Jul-03, 02:36 PM
Were is the sun? I know were the sun is on the sky. I see it right now! But I talk about the sun icon on the moon mappers screen. I might bee silly but I got a hard time seeing if its a hill or crater.

this isn't the moon forum...

but supposedly looking upside down helps.

browolf
2012-Jul-03, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know what the huge white blobs are with the black lines/blobs in the middle? I don't think they are transients because of the black lines/spots.

They're the background stars (I think) which image processing attempts to block out. Seems to be, the bigger/brighter they are the harder it is to block them out.

Jean Tate
2014-Jul-26, 09:39 PM
Have any papers been published, based on the results from Ice Investigators (or from its predecessor)? If so, what?