PDA

View Full Version : Marking for Science or for yourself?

DanishDynamite
2012-Jun-13, 09:30 PM
An idea just occured to me. If you were a selfish person and your only purpose in performing this Citizen Scientist project was to get your name "in lights", i.e to get your name as co-discoverer of a KBO, what would your best strategy be? Well, it would obviously be to mark every single thing which might have even the slightest chance of turning out to be a KBO. There is afterall no penalty for marking many blobs which no one else marks.

This thought occured to me because in this second image set I'm marking at least twice as many blobs as in image set 1 (probably because there is no toggle button). And it doesn't matter if I mark a blob as a transient or as an asteroid, it is always "confirmed", even when I mark it as a transient in one version of the image and as an asteroid in another version of the same image.

1. What is your experience with this image set? Do you get almost every marking "confirmed"?
2. Should there be any kind of penalty for anyone marking every bright pixel and its grandmother?

Tranan
2012-Jun-14, 05:48 AM
My experience with the new image set is good. Not all that I mark is confirmed but many are. I believe that many are confirmed at the previous picture set but need more data to confirm its orbit.

my answer to 2 is Why? how is this a problem? We are looking fore bright pixels and are relying on crowd sourcing.

kmasterdo
2012-Jun-15, 05:35 AM
I think that for Question #2, a solution could probably be user/classification weighting, e.g. by introducing simulations and weighting people's classifications accordingly.

gonano
2012-Jun-15, 11:13 AM
Hy to all, for the question n. 2, if i would see 5 or more blobs ( sometimes it's very difficult to evidence them) in the same image i'll signal all these for not loosing the possibility to have watched a KBO candidate.
Then the team has the possibility to correct this fact with the number of who has signaled the same object.
E.G. when one object is signaled by 8 people or more, the team could considers that object;
if,on the contrary, there were only 8 signals or under this number, the team could not consider that object.
Without any penalty in my opinion.
I'm sorry for my awful english.
Cheers Gonano.

nounou001
2014-Dec-02, 08:50 AM
I believe that many people are in front of the picture settings to confirm, but more data are needed to confirm its orbit