PDA

View Full Version : Moon Mappers video tutorial... comments?

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Jul-04, 05:17 AM
Hey, all! We're working on a video tutorial to help answer some of the questions regarding rim locations, shadows, faint craters, etc. I'm hoping that this will also give first-time-users a good look at the process and even attract new people to the project. As the expert crater markers you have all become, could you give me some feedback here? Is it instructive and helpful to you? Do you think it would be instructive and helpful for a newbie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU77CST1v00

If video isn't your thing, there will be a series of screenshots and text as well that this video is based on.

Thanks!

- Nicole

lynx1
2012-Jul-04, 05:22 PM
As a newbie who just started today, i really appreciate this example. I was really concerned about my own threshold for marking very degraded craters. From what I gathered in the video, there must be a clear light-dark transition to be able to mark the diameter. Therefore, lighting angle will definitely affect what I discern as a clear example and I shouldn't worry overmuch about that limitation.

It might be useful to show examples of how to process poor images and overlapping impact craters.

Thanks for the tips!

astrostu
2012-Jul-04, 05:37 PM
It might be useful to show examples of how to process poor images and overlapping impact craters.

If you see a good example of an image that you'd like tutorialized, click the link under the "Done Working" button, copy the URL, and send it to me in a PM.

NoisyAstronomer
2012-Jul-04, 09:31 PM
Thanks, mangrovetom!

CJSF
2012-Jul-06, 09:05 PM
Wow - you skipped a TON of craters I would have marked in both images, and I think I am picking up craters that are very degraded that I may not have to worry about. Thanks for the tutorial, Nicole and Stuart!

CJSF

astrostu
2012-Jul-06, 09:10 PM
Wow - you skipped a TON of craters I would have marked in both images, and I think I am picking up craters that are very degraded that I may not have to worry about. Thanks for the tutorial, Nicole and Stuart!

CJSF

Do you have basic image software that would let you annotate the image so I can see what you would have done? This way I can let you know exactly why I didn't mark them.

badpandabear
2012-Jul-08, 01:20 AM
I had the same initial reaction as CJSF, but with the video quality from YouTube I'm not sure. Would you post links to the images used in the video so we can get a better look? I can mark any additional craters I would have marked with GIMP.

CJSF
2012-Jul-09, 01:43 PM
Do you have basic image software that would let you annotate the image so I can see what you would have done? This way I can let you know exactly why I didn't mark them.

Yes - I can do that some time today, as I have time. Thank you.

CJSF

CJSF
2012-Jul-09, 02:55 PM
Ok.. here goes with one example (perhaps not the best - the current crop of images seems to be more clear-cut)

CJSF
2012-Jul-09, 05:19 PM
Here's a second set that might help clarify things.

CJSF

P.S.
The "show stats" button seems non-functional, at least under Firefox with Ad Block Plus, on Windows XP64

kmasterdo
2012-Jul-09, 05:42 PM
The "show stats" button seems non-functional, at least under Firefox with Ad Block Plus, on Windows XP64
The issue is known and worked on if that helps. :)

Update: The statistics should work now.

astrostu
2012-Jul-15, 05:59 PM
CJSF - I'm sorry, but it looks like attachments were broken in the forum merger. I was doing data analysis the last week or two so wasn't able to get to them before today. Any chance you can re-upload?

badpandabear - I've attached the tutorial images to this post.

CJSF
2012-Jul-16, 12:51 AM
Hi - yes I can upload them this week (they are on my "work" machine).

CJSF

CJSF
2012-Jul-16, 11:34 AM
Here are the first 2 images again.

CJSF

CJSF
2012-Jul-16, 11:35 AM
...and the 2nd pair...

CJSF