PDA

View Full Version : Boson Discovered at CERN!!

KnowTheCosmos
2012-Jul-04, 09:32 AM
Hi all!

Just thought I'd share some happy scientific news! There has been a Boson discovered which works with the predictions of the standard model. There is more testing to be done, because that's how awesome science is... but a boson has been discovered at ~126 GeV with a probability of 5 sigma.

Such an amazing time for humanity. Though we spend so much time every single day doing horrible things to one another, we as a species have risen up and pushed forward to gain an even more intimate understanding of the universe. Something for all of us to be proud of. Something for all of us to look at as an example for humanity to dig deeper into nature to understand who we are and what our place is in the cosmos.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2012/07/04/higgs/

Cheers!
KnowTheCosmos

Tranan
2012-Jul-04, 10:18 AM
This is a big a big day for knowledge.
Only we stop with our bad habits as a race and start being nice to each other.
Butt this is only the beginning.
It is interesting but I believe that what we evenly learn from this is much grander than what we now think we can learn from this.
If my son now 9 read about this in school I am not surprised. I will be if he donīt.

Cheers
Tranan

browolf
2012-Jul-04, 10:54 AM
best ever explanation of what the higgs boson is: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/video/2012/jul/03/what-is-a-higgs-boson-video

gonano
2012-Jul-04, 10:58 AM
I will aspect the confirmation, for not having error like another neutrino superlight speed.
If it is all OK, Nobel prize to Dr. Higgs ( 83 Y.O.), member of Royal Society, Dirac medal and Wolf prize for Physics .
Cheers to him.
Gonano.

mutleyeng
2012-Jul-06, 12:52 PM
To be fair, OPERA never announced a discovery that neutrinos traveled faster than light - they released data and asked for feedback.
This already is effectively a confirmed discovery

gonano
2012-Jul-08, 01:17 PM
It's better to confirmed the same. Galileo docet :-)))
Expecially with a discover of this importance.
Cheers Gonano.