PDA

View Full Version : calls to destroy the Egyptian pyramids..

novaderrik
2012-Jul-12, 02:58 AM
i kind of had a feeling that stuff like this was going to start to happen with the recent power shifts in Egypt..

seems that there are some pretty vocal voices out there that want to destroy the pyramids and other "pagan" symbols now that they have gained power in Egypt. other ancient structures are already being destroyed as i type this.
what does the braintrust here think will come of this?

http://www.wnd.com/2012/07/the-death-cult-hopes-to-destroy-pyramids/

that is just one of the first links on a google search page that has several links that all say pretty much the same thing.

i hope this discussion can stay out of the realms of politics and religion, but i realize that there is a really fine line on this particular subject so my feelings won't be hurt if this gets locked down. but i figured that this needed to be put out there just in case people haven't heard about this until now.

Nowhere Man
2012-Jul-12, 03:09 AM
It'll wipe out a major tourism cash cow. But I suppose a "death cult" doesn't care whether other people make a living.

Fred

publius
2012-Jul-12, 03:27 AM
The latest is this seems to be a hoax. Some "parody site" purporting to a voice of those whom it parodies made the call for the Pyramids destruction. Or at least some are now claiming it was a parody. :)

However, the destruction of certain shrines in Timbuktu, which I read about a couple of days ago, is real. The Pyramids are an order of magnitude or two greater than that and I don't think anyone, even if they were serious, would think they could get away with something like that...............................yet.

BigDon
2012-Jul-12, 03:32 AM
The libraries in Timbuktu have hand-written notes, scrolls and diaries from ancient Roman merchants to the present.

The only such collection in the world.

tusenfem
2012-Jul-12, 07:06 AM
Okay, this does not seem to be a serious news site.
This is, however, on the edge of the "religion and politics" rules, so please tread carefully.
The discussion of worries about cultural history being threatened is a legit topic, but don't let this get into a religion or politics slamming.

BigDon
2012-Jul-12, 07:17 AM
We don't need to slam anybody here, Mr. Tusenfem.

Actions speak much louder than words.

WaxRubiks
2012-Jul-12, 07:25 AM
I think I read somewhere that the nose of the Sphinx was shot off for the same reason, years ago.

BigDon
2012-Jul-12, 07:44 AM
That argument goes back and forth, depending on who did the latest wiki edit. :)

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-12, 08:20 AM
I think I read somewhere that the nose of the Sphinx was shot off for the same reason, years ago.
The main myth is that it was done by Napoleon's soldiers using it for target practice, but it was long gone by then.
Simple erosion seems the likeliest explanation to me, it's fairly poor quality sandstone after all.

geonuc
2012-Jul-12, 08:40 AM
Really? Count me as one of those that had thought the Napoleon story was accurate.

tusenfem
2012-Jul-12, 10:27 AM
Really, did the nosejob not happen in Asterix & Cleopatra?

toolazytotypemyname
2012-Jul-13, 02:29 AM
'Twas a lot longer ago than Napoleon.

From the Encyclopedia Americana (1995): "Over the centuries the Great Sphinx has suffered severely from weathering...Man has been responsible for additional mutilation. In 1380 A.D. the Sphinx fell victim to the iconoclastic ardor of a fanatical Muslim ruler, who caused deplorable injuries to the head. Then the figure was used as a target for the guns of the Mamluks."

novaderrik
2012-Jul-13, 03:06 AM
http://www.news-record.com/blog/54431/entry/147968

this page says it was a "hoax".. but as it says on that page, it's not too far fetched, given that the people in charge over there come from the same groups that destroyed the giant Buddhas in Afghanistan in the summer of '01 (which was the first thing that popped into my mind when i first read about this) and have been destroying other historic sites throughout the Middle East lately..

The Backroad Astronomer
2012-Jul-13, 11:24 AM
Everyone knows that the pyramids are landing locations for alien craft just check out the documentary called " Stargate".
They should be destroyed so the body snatching aliens don't come and take more of us away.

Chuck
2012-Jul-13, 02:47 PM
They could dismantle them slowly while video recording the process. Then they could show it backwards and call it "The Building of the Pyramids".

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-13, 10:42 PM
They could dismantle them slowly while video recording the process. Then they could show it backwards and call it "The Building of the Pyramids".
That's sort of what happens to the Empire State Building in this book (http://www.amazon.com/Unbuilding-Sandpiper-David-Macaulay/dp/0395454255).

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-14, 12:58 AM
Assuming it's not a joke, they should be required to disassemble the pyramids using the same level of technology used to build them. Shouldn't take more than 50 or 60 years!

ravens_cry
2012-Jul-14, 04:40 AM
Assuming it's not a joke, they should be required to disassemble the pyramids using the same level of technology used to build them. Shouldn't take more than 50 or 60 years!
Might take a bit less as some of the pieces are already missing.:p

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-14, 06:03 AM
Might take a bit less as some of the pieces are already missing.:p

And gravity's arrow works in only one direction.

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-14, 10:02 AM
Zelazny's "This Immortal" if I remember it correctly.

Chuck
2012-Jul-14, 02:20 PM
Drat. Science fiction authors keep beating us to all the good ideas.

swampyankee
2012-Jul-15, 02:28 AM

The story I've always heard was that it was shot off by French troops during the Napoleonic Wars.

novaderrik
2012-Jul-15, 09:03 AM
Everyone knows that the pyramids are landing locations for alien craft just check out the documentary called " Stargate".
They should be destroyed so the body snatching aliens don't come and take more of us away.

there was another documentary that came out a few years ago that proved that the Great Pyramid was a structure that was built to hide a doomsday weapon that would destroy the sun to convert the earth into a fuel source for robotic alien life.. it was called "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen".

HenrikOlsen
2012-Jul-16, 06:21 AM
The story I've always heard was that it was shot off by French troops during the Napoleonic Wars.

ToSeeked (http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php/136508-calls-to-destroy-the-Egyptian-pyramids?p=2041591#post2041591)

Trebuchet
2012-Jul-16, 02:11 PM
Perhaps the aliens built it without a nose so it would look like them....

Romanus
2012-Jul-16, 11:26 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/158333

:D

Noclevername
2012-Jul-16, 11:47 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/158333

You don't even have to say anything to mock that guy, he's pretty much a self-parody.