PDA

View Full Version : I have the solution for the US drought problem

redshifter
2012-Jul-12, 07:36 PM
Just invite me and my astronomy gear to any of the afflicted areas. Rain guaranteed to follow...I'm camping this weekend up in the Cascades at a well known location to us Pacific NW astronomy buffs - Table Mountain. I'm tracking the weather forecasts and of course the weather forecast for this weekend is getting worse and worse...:(

I'd put this in the 'trivial stuff that annoys you' thread, but THIS AIN'T TRIVIAL!!!!

Swift
2012-Jul-12, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry, but you do understand how powerful Murphy's Law is. The badness of rain will only happen as long it is bad for the situation. If, for example, you scheduled a star party in the middle of a drought area, with the intent of bringing rain, it will not rain to spite you. Of course something else will happen to mess up your star party, like clouds and no rain, or a dust storm, or someone steals your telescope, or the sun goes nova, but it won't rain.

BigDon
2012-Jul-12, 08:51 PM
I'm sorry, but you do understand how powerful Murphy's Law is. The badness of rain will only happen as long it is bad for the situation. If, for example, you scheduled a star party in the middle of a drought area, with the intent of bringing rain, it will not rain to spite you. Of course something else will happen to mess up your star party, like clouds and no rain, or a dust storm, or someone steals your telescope, or the sun goes nova, but it won't rain.

Given his location, one of the Cascades will erupt.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-12, 09:15 PM
:sigh: I thought this would be for real. Farmers are mowing their corn and calling it a season in some places.

redshifter
2012-Jul-12, 10:21 PM
Given his location, one of the Cascades will erupt.

Well, both Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams are viewable from Table Mtn....Mt. Stuart is even closer, but I don't think it's a dormant volcano. With my luck it probably is...at least no wildfires in the area, though with Saturday's forecast of T-storms that could change.

Kalopin
2012-Jul-12, 10:37 PM
:sigh: I thought this would be for real. Farmers are mowing their corn and calling it a season in some places.

A drought here, a flood there...

There will always be some concern for getting control on mother nature. However, with present technologies, not much of an excuse.
The Mississippi Embayment floods almost every year. It seems there would be more ways to divert The Missouri River to resevoirs above the plain states?...

I feel it is more of a mis-management issue, as well as environmental extremes.

P.S. "rain on me":)

profloater
2012-Jul-12, 10:42 PM
Yeah here in UK we have the Olympics and after years of low rain in the South, the wettest summer ever with more rain to come.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-13, 12:00 AM
A drought here, a flood there...

There will always be some concern for getting control on mother nature. However, with present technologies, not much of an excuse.
The Mississippi Embayment floods almost every year. It seems there would be more ways to divert The Missouri River to resevoirs above the plain states?...

I feel it is more of a mis-management issue, as well as environmental extremes.

P.S. "rain on me":)
Just because the tub works doesn't mean the shower does. You thinking we should put in pipelines to pump Mississippian water a thousand miles uphill into a massive distribution network to cover millions of square miles? It would be simpler to build dams, except that the topology isn't suitable, being flat and all.

redshifter
2012-Jul-13, 05:18 PM
Well, right on cue we've got heavy rain today and more forecast. So much for astronomy this weekend...

I hope folks in drought stricken areas get some relief soon! From what I've been reading it doesn't look good though.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-13, 09:59 PM
It started to sprinkle here, then the storms promptly dissipated. Then they reformed over Lake Michigan, which is already full of water.