PDA

View Full Version : What is taking MESSENGER so long?

parallaxicality
2012-Jul-14, 02:28 PM
Why have the images been so slow in coming? Surely we would have a composite map of the surface by now?

slang
2012-Jul-16, 07:57 PM
Like here (http://messenger-act.actgate.com/msgr_public_released/react_quickmap.html)?

parallaxicality
2012-Jul-16, 08:30 PM
Thanks for that. But now I'm even more confused; that picture seems oddly stitched together. There are crater patterns that disappear and are replaced by other crater patterns. I'm wondering if it's partly imaginary.

TaylorS
2012-Jul-17, 04:55 AM
Thanks for that. But now I'm even more confused; that picture seems oddly stitched together. There are crater patterns that disappear and are replaced by other crater patterns. I'm wondering if it's partly imaginary.
It's a standard photo-mosaic.

djellison
2012-Jul-17, 07:53 AM

Some parts were taken during the flybys, some parts are taken in orbit at high altitude, some at low altitude, at different times of Mercurial day etc etc. It's not going to be a perfect seamless map. That said - nothing there is imaginary - it's all real data. What you think you're seing as craters 'disappear' is infact a change from a very low sun angle, to a lower resolution overhead sun angle. If you look carefully, the craters are still there.

What were you expecting?

Doodler
2012-Jul-17, 11:38 AM
Can definitely get a feel for its orbit around the planet, you can see the poles being very oblique and artifact riddled. Still looks good, though.

Romanus
2012-Jul-17, 10:21 PM
Comparing ti to what we had before, I can't say I'm disappointed.

Jerry
2012-Jul-18, 03:48 AM

I like the fact that they haven't air-brushed in the seams. WYSIWYG. I'm also hoping we will see more science results soon.