PDA

View Full Version : Good Samaritans on Capitol Hill

Hornblower
2012-Jul-14, 11:12 PM
Last night I was taking my mother in a wheelchair up to the foot of the west front steps of the Capitol, so she could listen to the band concert in which I was performing. I made a wrong turn and found our path blocked by several short flights of steps. A couple of big, strong tourists saw my plight and offered to give us a lift. In less time than it takes to type this post, they had her up and over those steps and to our destination just in time for me to get her settled and then sit down with the rest of the band for the sound check. It was a most heartwarming display of generosity from total strangers.

Whoever you are, we love you beyond what can be expressed in words.

Swift
2012-Jul-14, 11:15 PM
Nice.

I guess I never completely made the connection with your username <duh>.

geonuc
2012-Jul-15, 11:53 AM
And I'll bet they're feeling good about themselves, too. Which is also nice. It feels good to help others.

Paul Beardsley
2012-Jul-15, 12:09 PM
It would be nice to have a "thanks for sharing your story" button. But there isn't one so I'll just say it. Thanks for sharing, Hornblower - that's heartwarming.

KaiYeves
2012-Jul-16, 12:07 AM
Awww... thanks for sharing.

LookingSkyward
2012-Jul-16, 10:04 AM
Thanks!

mfumbesi
2012-Jul-17, 01:40 PM
It would be nice to have a "thanks for sharing your story" button. But there isn't one so I'll just say it. Thanks for sharing, Hornblower - that's heartwarming.
I've just clicked on ^ this imaginary button.

Buttercup
2012-Jul-17, 02:01 PM
Good to know! :-)

mike alexander
2012-Jul-17, 02:39 PM
I still have the well-shredded belief that most people are decent if they can be caught with their ideologies down.

DonM435
2012-Jul-17, 04:00 PM
I just hope that the lobbyists for the professional wheelchair movers' union didn't see that unauthorized activity.

Noclevername
2012-Jul-17, 05:15 PM
I liked that story. Things like that help me beat down my inner cynic.

DoggerDan
2012-Jul-19, 03:32 AM
I just hope that the lobbyists for the professional wheelchair movers' union didn't see that unauthorized activity.

Actually, they did. However, since they were unprofessional wheelchair movers, the work without pay action was out of their jurisdiction...

Nice story, Hornblower! I hope the concert gave her as much of a lift as the two good Samaritans!

swampyankee
2012-Jul-19, 11:43 AM
...however, in a recent court filing one of the "Good Samaritans" has filed a lawsuit alleging back pain, knee pain, inguinal hernia pain, alienation of affections, and baldness after helping.

DonM435
2012-Jul-19, 12:26 PM
See? He should have filled out the forms and let a government agency make an appointment to move the citizen.