PDA

View Full Version : July New Moon Spotting Challenge

Centaur
2012-Jul-15, 05:14 PM
Itís nearly time for my monthly New Moon spotting challenge, which presents greater difficulty after the summer solstice. A few North Americans may sight the two-day-old Moon on July 20. More should be able to see Dianaís Bow on July 21.

My detailed article previewing the waxing crescent Moonís first appearance of the coming lunar month appears under the links for my preview graphics at www.CurtRenz.com/moon

Photos and descriptions of the young Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include your location, date, time and time zone.

Below is a photo that I took from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the Moon aged 48:03 hrs seen above fireworks on 2008 JUL 04 at 21:22 CDT.

http://www.curtrenz.com/NM080704.jpg

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-15, 09:35 PM
That would have been cool if you could have lined up the moon and the fireworks explosion. Just don't line it up with the steeple or some people might take it amiss.

Centaur
2012-Jul-15, 11:34 PM
That would have been cool if you could have lined up the moon and the fireworks explosion. Just don't line it up with the steeple or some people might take it amiss.

I take all my Moon photos from atop a five-story parking garage next to the building in which I live. There is no other accessible place in my neighborhood with a good view of the horizon. During the late spring and early summer the steeple appears in pictures of a young crescent Moon near the horizon. The steeple happens to be part of the landscape. Celestial geometry rules the situation.

A great many viewers have expressed delight with the photo. Not a single one has said anything about a religious message, until your implication. You are the first person in four years to have a complaint. I'm not going to photoshop it in order to satisfy one person who wants to read some cultural message into into it that was not intended. What's there is there. Fine architecture can be admired without seeking social meaning. Medieval cathedrals were magnificent engineering and artistic accomplishments. Lesser modern edifices can also be appreciated from the outside without ever going inside.

Centaur
2012-Jul-15, 11:48 PM
Mistaken duplicate. Moderator please remove.

Ara Pacis
2012-Jul-16, 03:40 AM
I wasn't complaining.